Best Sub-$100 Headphone?
Sep 4, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #46 of 89
I do. Completely different animal to XB500 (which I have owned as well) V6 are considerably balanced, remembering you're not going to find nearly the same bass amounts as XB500. Where it does make up for this is in overall sound quality. the mids actually have clarity and there's detail along with separation. I kept my XB500 for about one week before the 'fun bass appeal' wore off. V6 are like a breath of fresh air, much cleaner sound, bass shows decent texture, not super powerful, more pleasant with the amounts there used correctly.
The mids can sound a little grainy and treble has a few slight spikes though it's a no brainer over XB500 IF you want a detailed sound.
Very nice headphone still today!. I still think they'll sound better even with Utube than XB500 could offer.

umm, they sound pretty horrible with youtube...

Sep 5, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #47 of 89
I wouldn't call the MDRV6 "fun".  I consider them analytical.  The highs are very pronounced and crystal, if not at time sibilant.  They are great cans, but "fun" is probably the last way I describe them.

If you want "fun" phones in your budget, consider the phillips cityscape downtown.  I don't think there are many on head-fi with experience with them, but innerfidelity has them on the wall of fame.

Sep 5, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #48 of 89
I wouldn't call the MDRV6 "fun".  I consider them analytical.  The highs are very pronounced and crystal, if not at time sibilant.  They are great cans, but "fun" is probably the last way I describe them.

If you want "fun" phones in your budget, consider the phillips cityscape downtown.  I don't think there are many on head-fi with experience with them, but innerfidelity has them on the wall of fame.

Who described MDR-V6 as fun?

Sep 5, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #49 of 89
in his original post, he said he was looking for a "fun" pair of headphones.  Then the V6 showed up on his list.  I was explaining to him that the V6 may not suit his listening preferences.

Sep 5, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #50 of 89
Quote:

I just picked up a pair yesterday as part of the Target $30 clearance price that's been discussed in the deals thread. My initial impressions are that they sound pretty good. They have more bass emphasis than the V6s and are certainly "fun." But I wouldn't pay near full price for them. I don't think the build quality is such that they will have much durability as a portable, whereas the V6s are the "tanks" of build quality for under $100. 

Sep 5, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #51 of 89
Yeah, I've had my V6s FOREVER.  And all I ever had to change were the earpads.  I wish swapped in the Pearstone earpads earlier.   They make a huge difference in comfort and a mild difference on the low freqs.

Sep 5, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #52 of 89
Quote:
Yeah, I've had my V6s FOREVER.  And all I ever had to change were the earpads.  I wish swapped in the Pearstone earpads earlier.   They make a huge difference in comfort and a mild difference on the low freqs.

Yep. Had mine for over a dozen years. Replaced the pads once with the Beyer DT pads (and about time to do so again). 

Sep 5, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #53 of 89
i don't listen to them that much anymore.  I'm actually thinking of using the drivers and making a modded can out of them.  Since I got the AKG K550 as my traveling pair, the V6s have unofficially been retired.

Sep 5, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #54 of 89
*UPDATE* Looks like the warranty for the XB-500s isn't expired, so I'll be takin' em back! Thanks for the clarification on the V6s, you're right... my friend has a pair, definitely a more balanced sound, not nearly as much bass. They look like they might last awhile, but not sure if they're what I'm looking for...  lol that would suck if THOSE broke too if I got them, I'm not even sure I want to get another pair of Sony's!

Sep 5, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #56 of 89
From somebody who has researched for relatively "neutral" headphones that are closed under $100, I would say Shure SRH440 and Sony MDR-V6.  Both have a great reputation (especially the latter), and sound fantastic next to my more expensive cans.  FWIW I sold my MDR-SA5000 and kept my SRH440 and MDR-V6.  I just recently sold my MDR-V6, but that's because it was too redundant next to the SRH440.

Sep 5, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #57 of 89
Quote:
From somebody who has researched for relatively "neutral" headphones that are closed under $100, I would say Shure SRH440 and Sony MDR-V6.  Both have a great reputation (especially the latter), and sound fantastic next to my more expensive cans.  FWIW I sold my MDR-SA5000 and kept my SRH440 and MDR-V6.  I just recently sold my MDR-V6, but that's because it was too redundant next to the SRH440.

What your opinion the V6 vs 440? 
I'm wondering if I should sell my v6 and get the 440 instead. 

Sep 6, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #58 of 89
Quote:

Personally, I don't think it's worth it.  I spent a few days ABXing them to different kinds of music and ultimately decided to keep the SRH440 because they seemed a bit more neutral whereas the MDR-V6 had an ever so slightly boosted treble and bass hump.  The SRH440 also had a slightly wider soundstage due to the deeper cups.  The MDR-V6 was more comfortable for me, lighter, and more portable. 

In the end I would be happy with either, I could literally care less.  They're both great headphones that compete favourably with much more expensive headphones - tremendous value.   

Sep 6, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #59 of 89
Quote:

If you are looking for an upgrade, watch for specials on the ATH-M50 for around $100-$110 (Amazon recently had them for $111). I found them to be a nice upgrade over the V6 with better bass response. What I find is that it extends the bass response in the very low end more over the V6s. Be sure to get the newer white box version--the older version had a extra bass emphasis beyond that. 

Sep 6, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #60 of 89
Quote:

If you are looking for an upgrade, watch for specials on the ATH-M50 for around $100-$110 (Amazon recently had them for $111). I found them to be a nice upgrade over the V6 with better bass response. What I find is that it extends the bass response in the very low end more over the V6s. Be sure to get the newer white box version--the older version had a extra bass emphasis beyond that. 

I like the V6's bass. I was wondering is the Shure was the same thing without the boost in the upper mids. I don't have a job (I'm 15). V6's are so light, comfortable, and durable though. I can't afford to upgrade until I have money. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back