CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Aug 16, 2019 at 7:45 PM Post #19,321 of 31,833
I got the SHE7050... bit brighter sounding than the 755 but easy to like. I got the very manly multi coloured ones... didn't think they'd be even brighter in appearance than the pics on Amazon lol. All I need now is a pink DAP
41+GwSf3wML.jpg

Aug 17, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #19,322 of 31,833
Picked up these guys from the post office this morning - the IEM version of the Music Maker / Toneking Tomahawk MrZ (single DD - there's also an earbud version that attracted some pretty positive reviews a while ago).

IMG_20190817_131613-01.jpeg

First impressions out-of-the-box: mighty strong bass, sub and up, pretty loose though with significant bleed into the mids; gotta give them the usual 100+ hours of burn-in and see if that helps to tighten things up a bit.
One thing though that immediately struck me were the highs, especially cymbals sound like the real thing through those critters, beautifully detailed, neither sharp nor splashy, WAY more natural tonally than through any of my sub 50€ phones (xy KZs, Tin T2, MD Crescent, ...), but more in line with my higher end phones - color me impressed.
I have a bit of a hunch that the folks at Toneking just glued the upper part of the shell (with the nozzle) over the earbud versions without any further tuning. That might explain the loose bass a bit but OTOH can be taken care of pretty easily ... time will tell.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #19,323 of 31,833
Not sure if Sony came up with the tuning by fluke, but if they added a proper (detachable) cable, they would be swimming in cash lol.
Considering how many good IEMs they've made, I wouldn't consider it a fluke

Aug 17, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #19,324 of 31,833
Slightly OT.

I got this player (8GB black) over 10 years ago and just came back from the gym with it. If it ever dies im going to be very sad. Been looking for backup/replace but nothing comes close in terms of sq/formfactor/software (rockbox).

Back to topic
It drives my nicehck n3 pretty well and with some eq i love them more and more. Just need some better tips, stock don't hold em well during heavy workout

Aug 17, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #19,326 of 31,833
Aug 18, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #19,328 of 31,833
I'm spending my third day with **** **** and I'm very impressed with these iems! Sound is surprisingly neutral. Amazing depth of soundstage and great imaging, sounds nicely 3D. I was a bit worried about quality because I had read a lot of quality control issues, sound balance issues, rattling drivers, loose connectors and such, but luckily my pair is completely fine. Sound seems to be improved upon burn-in. **** is my first iem using balanced armature drivers and I'm really amazed of how fast and detailed midrange is. I know **** is intended to be used cables down, and usually I prefer this way too, but I think **** sounds better worn cable over ear. I guess it's because of front vents, sound is pretty similiar worn either way ie sound isn't muddy or boomy, but I just think there's better air in soundstage when used cable over ear. I use wide bore tips (generic ones that come with most iems, but strangely not with ****). Those **** red tips are horrible, black tips are good but they're not wide bore. **** is a great bargain, I can't believe their price/sound ratio!

Aug 18, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #19,330 of 31,833
I'm spending my third day with **** **** and I'm very impressed with these iems! Sound is surprisingly neutral. Amazing depth of soundstage and great imaging, sounds nicely 3D. I was a bit worried about quality because I had read a lot of quality control issues, sound balance issues, rattling drivers, loose connectors and such, but luckily my pair is completely fine. Sound seems to be improved upon burn-in. **** is my first iem using balanced armature drivers and I'm really amazed of how fast and detailed midrange is. I know **** is intended to be used cables down, and usually I prefer this way too, but I think **** sounds better worn cable over ear. I guess it's because of front vents, sound is pretty similiar worn either way ie sound isn't muddy or boomy, but I just think there's better air in soundstage when used cable over ear. I use wide bore tips (generic ones that come with most iems, but strangely not with ****). Those **** red tips are horrible, black tips are good but they're not wide bore. **** is a great bargain, I can't believe their price/sound ratio!

I think they sound horribly off. No saxophone in the whole world sounds that plastic, even plastic ones.

On top of that the whole mids and treble are completely veiled. Bass is very overdone, and boomy.

The **** sucks really bad.

Aug 18, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #19,331 of 31,833
I think they sound horribly off. No saxophone in the whole world sounds that plastic, even plastic ones.

On top of that the whole mids and treble are completely veiled. Bass is very overdone, and boomy.

The **** sucks really bad.
Are you sure your **** isn't defective? To my ears **** is not very bassy iem, bass is not boomy and is well controlled. Not questioning your opinion but just wondering.

Aug 18, 2019 at 6:01 PM Post #19,332 of 31,833
Looking for some quick suggestion, in the past I tried IEM's and it seemed very uncomfortable for me. Long story short I decided to give it a second try. I order myself some cca c10's. Same stuff even thought I like the sound my left ear hurts, will try some memory foam to see if I get one that fits me well. Any suggestions? It seems that actually the entrance of the ear canal is what hurts.

Any way I really liked the sound of the c10, I own grados and I am very used to that sound. I want to buy a second cheap pair of IEM to complement the c10 with a different sound signature before getting deep into more expensive stuff. I was looking into KZ ZSN, zs4, moondrop crescent, trn v80's, final audio, open to whatever just something that sound different to the c10's. I have been all that looking into what to buy and I cant seem to decide.

I will appreciate any suggestions of something around the $30 mark to give a try?

Aug 18, 2019 at 7:34 PM Post #19,333 of 31,833
Looking for some quick suggestion, in the past I tried IEM's and it seemed very uncomfortable for me. Long story short I decided to give it a second try. I order myself some cca c10's. Same stuff even thought I like the sound my left ear hurts, will try some memory foam to see if I get one that fits me well. Any suggestions? It seems that actually the entrance of the ear canal is what hurts.

Any way I really liked the sound of the c10, I own grados and I am very used to that sound. I want to buy a second cheap pair of IEM to complement the c10 with a different sound signature before getting deep into more expensive stuff. I was looking into KZ ZSN, zs4, moondrop crescent, trn v80's, final audio, open to whatever just something that sound different to the c10's. I have been all that looking into what to buy and I cant seem to decide.

I will appreciate any suggestions of something around the $30 mark to give a try?

If it hurts there's a reason. Angle, tips or ears... what I'd say is, if they continue to hurt, and you don't have an ear infection or something, trust your ears and don't force yourself to use them.

I'm sure there are plenty on here who can give better advice than I can on fitting iems correctly for comfort and seal, and on different tips to try to improve comfort.

You could also try some that are worn down where there is nothing forcing a particular angle, to see if that is more comfortable.

If you find you just plain don't get on with in-ears (I'm not keen, I actually don't like the isolation) there are always old fashioned earbuds. Some good stuff out in recent years - maybe see you here one day...

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/

Aug 18, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #19,334 of 31,833

You could be using tips that are way too large. Try the next size down in tips. Or even 2 sizes down in tips. They should insert easily and comfortably; you shouldn’t have to force them in.

Also, make sure you’re wearing the right and left sides properly:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kno...essions-thread.698148/page-3086#post-15098064

Finally, make sure you are wearing them with the proper orientation.
91A605A8-1F29-45FF-88C0-54C711E489D5.jpeg
C13861DE-2362-4AE8-84B2-F2E312FB5956.jpeg

Correct:
E38B8041-F381-4FEE-BB91-D09B1E00C104.jpeg
61A566A4-339F-4CC9-B750-3EFBA751CA72.jpeg
804334BB-1145-4FF9-AADD-B542E1E93A48.jpeg

Not correct:
AFBDF40C-1169-4334-9D26-5864C2A6C750.jpeg
C3C553B8-6634-432B-8692-ABA6A80272F6.jpeg

Attachments

• 37A841A0-A670-454A-AB91-8F3C337E21C8.jpeg
    37A841A0-A670-454A-AB91-8F3C337E21C8.jpeg
    17.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 18, 2019 at 9:03 PM Post #19,335 of 31,833

**** is one of my favourite IEMs too. It definitely scales up better for soundstage/details/treble if you use an amp. In fact I liked it so much I bought 2 before the sellers increased the price to today's ~ $27ish USD.

My only small issue with it is that certain orchestral instruments like winds/brass/string instruments may have a slightly inaccurate timbre, as what @citral23 said above. My take is if you are not listening to orchestral or classical pieces, it is a very very capable IEM for the pricepoint, great for other genres like EDM or pop or rock, YMMV. Well most of us that are down this rabbit hole have a stash of different IEMs for different music genres and occasions anyway lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back