Best Soundstage? Headphones for Gaming :)
Sep 19, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #121 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, & a few more off the top of my head.. 601/DT880 & any electrostat.. Will get my DT48a soon. I will check them out.

In your opinion.

I prefer the AD700 for gaming to both my K701's and my DT880's. The soundstage is much much bigger.

Sep 19, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #123 of 179
AD700's don't really need an amp. They improve with one, but sound fine without one.

Yes they're great for movies unless you like thunderous bass.

Sep 20, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #124 of 179
I just dont know how such an inexpensive headphone can do so much. How about the 880s . Im just about ready to pull the trigger on these and a darkvoice 336. Would it give me great improvement over stand alone AT phones?

Sep 20, 2008 at 4:27 AM Post #125 of 179
DT880 are great - but for matches I always use GX-400's (Ety's ER-4P's). I have tried a lot and nothing comes close to these. The isolation comes in very handy for when phone rings etc (you won't hear anyone standing at the door screaming at you for example :p)

I find them annoying to put on and off all the time (cause I usually get up to do something in between rounds - every few minutes) so for general gaming I prefer DT880. But for when it counts in competition - GX-400's ftw.

FYI: my clan is #1 ranked in all of TWL OC AA league.

Sep 20, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #126 of 179
DT880 are the best gaming headphones I've owned most likely...I definitely like them more than my AD500 or old AD700 just because the soundstage is more well-defined. On certain games (such as TF2), those two headphones have a presentation that makes it difficult to judge distance of sounds. I'm not sure if I like the DT880's more than my Stax Lambda Sigs for gaming, but it's close.

Sep 20, 2008 at 6:59 AM Post #127 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by n3rdling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DT880 are the best gaming headphones I've owned most likely...I definitely like them more than my AD500 or old AD700 just because the soundstage is more well-defined. On certain games (such as TF2), those two headphones have a presentation that makes it difficult to judge distance of sounds. I'm not sure if I like the DT880's more than my Stax Lambda Sigs for gaming, but it's close.

But they need hell lot of Amping..

and Gamers dont really carry Amps around...they have Gaming mouse to worry about too.

Also, DT880 cant be powered by most portable amps.

BUT ..for Gaming at Home DT880 might be what u claim.

Sep 20, 2008 at 8:48 AM Post #128 of 179
If you're going to listen to classical music FLACs in a recliner, then I wouldn't recommend running the DT880 out of a sound card; however, we're discussing gaming and the DT880 can be driven just fine by a sound card for gaming. Will it showcase the headphone at its' very best for gaming? No, but I don't think most people who would take their headphones with them places to game (ie: competitive gamers) really care about the fine details in sound quality while gaming in such circumstances (otherwise they wouldn't play in noisy atmospheres in the first place). I've used all of those headphones I listed, besides the Stax obviously, driven straight from a soundcard and my comments hold true whether driven greatly or not.

Sep 20, 2008 at 9:06 AM Post #129 of 179
I recall a pro gamer posted a while back his favorite headphones were the HD280. It isolates well so as to block out external distractions and the positioning was the best. I think he played FPS games.

Other gamers will have different priorities for their gaming headphones, which may include other uses like music and movies. Which headphones are best for an individual (not for everyone) depends on what you're wanting from them, like a particular price range, soundstage, bass, treble clarity, positioning, comfort, amping, open/closed, etc.

Sep 20, 2008 at 9:29 AM Post #130 of 179
n3rdling, I couldn't imagine taking my DT880s to a LAN!! Dunno what sorta LAN's you've been too but all the ones I've been to have been so loud you wouldn't hear the game with open cans.

Again - a situation where good IEM's really shine.

Sep 20, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #132 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In your opinion.

I prefer the AD700 for gaming to both my K701's and my DT880's. The soundstage is much much bigger.

Yes, it's my opinion.. Just like it's your opinion that the 700 are the best for gaming.. Bigger soundstage then the 701? I highly doubt that. I'd like to hear what others have to say.
beerchug.gif

Sep 20, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #133 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trepid!ty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
n3rdling, I couldn't imagine taking my DT880s to a LAN!! Dunno what sorta LAN's you've been too but all the ones I've been to have been so loud you wouldn't hear the game with open cans.

Again - a situation where good IEM's really shine.

^^^ Why closed cans are good for lans
smily_headphones1.gif
my A900's rock for gaming/movie's and general listening purposes!

Sep 21, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #134 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by Townyj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^^ Why closed cans are good for lans
smily_headphones1.gif
my A900's rock for gaming/movie's and general listening purposes!

I agree
smily_headphones1.gif

I usually use my Turtle Beach in a LAN party with friends. Blocks out noise, built in microphone, adapters, etc. It does the job, and that's all I can ask from it
biggrin.gif

There's simply no need to use an Edition 9.

But when I play in my apartment or in a quiet place, I use RSA Predator > SA5000. Works great too.

Sep 22, 2008 at 10:04 PM Post #135 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by myinitialsaredac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello,

First off crossfeeding mixes the channels to overcome that seperation as you stated, but this is a horrible thing for gamers. In games you want maximum seperation, thats why you dont use speakers. Sound quality is also almost disregarded because all a gamer is focused on is what is happening, where are the people, and did i hit/kill them.

For instance, dust2, if your a T moving up long and you killed the guy playing long then when you hear the people to the left you need to be able to hear the difference between cat and ct spawn. with crossfeed on the left channel is mixed into the right channel and you lose the ability to discern the finer points of sound such as catwalk or ct spawn. Countless other examples would be spamming 1 on mill, spamming rafters on nuke, credit card on nuke, cat on russka, etc. etc.

Cheers
Dave

True, with crossfeeding you will hear the sound in both ears, but it will be louder in the ear from the direction it is coming from. Transitions from ear to ear will be more gradual (natural) as opposed to flip flopping from ear to ear.

My point is that crossfeeding a stereo signal sounds more natural, and thus better, than something like CMSS, ProLogic, or just a straight stereo feed.

Whether it is better for your kill count...it probably isn't. When I use it it simply makes the game sound more natural and it provides a great way to simulate surround sound without using a sound processing scheme (e.g. CMSS) that colors the sound in an unnatural way.

I couldn't resist...I created a poll: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/bes...phones-365775/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back