Best Soundstage? Headphones for Gaming :)
Sep 24, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #137 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True, with crossfeeding you will hear the sound in both ears, but it will be louder in the ear from the direction it is coming from. Transitions from ear to ear will be more gradual (natural) as opposed to flip flopping from ear to ear.

My point is that crossfeeding a stereo signal sounds more natural, and thus better, than something like CMSS, ProLogic, or just a straight stereo feed.

Whether it is better for your kill count...it probably isn't. When I use it it simply makes the game sound more natural and it provides a great way to simulate surround sound without using a sound processing scheme (e.g. CMSS) that colors the sound in an unnatural way.

I couldn't resist...I created a poll: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/bes...phones-365775/

Yes therein lies the problem, you here it in both ears, making you spend thought on which is louder when you should be thinking about movement, angles, distance, dmg, hp, ammo, recoil, other enemies, time left, money systems, strategies, cross hair placement, etc.etc.

From my perspective if your looking to game dont crossfeed, when your listening to music, crossfeed.

Dave

Sep 28, 2008 at 3:26 PM Post #138 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cry Havoc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think what he says has a bit of merit. While good audio is necessary for gaming, it is not going to always (or often) make the difference between living and dying. I'm sure the ER-4P's are noticeably better at location and sound accuracy, however, there is a lot more to FPS games than sound, obviously. Those who expect to buy ER-4P's and it to make a night and day difference in their scores and general gameplay will likely be mistaken. For serious gamers, it might make the difference in a couple of scenarios, and that's what makes it worth it for them.

It's a lot like buying a mouse. A Logitech G5 is clearly superior to a standard optical mouse, but it's not going to take you from being a horrible player to a great player. It's just going to make the things you do well a bit better and more consistent. I know players who are running dual 8800s, 4 gigs of ram, with a custom mousepad and gaming headset, and they get fragged all the time, and get very upset about it.

Nothing substitutes for skill. Not the best headphones, not a laser mouse, nada.

As a 'serious' gamer with some skill (been in the newspaper for my skills :p) The above = very very true. A good mouse does help so does great sound but doesn't substitute for skill. Funny enough, there are games in which lower FPS does help in situations e.g. BF2 as the AT missles go slower and thus easier to control and with other slower paced FPS's while fast-paced FPS's (e.g. Counter-Strike, Call of Duty 4) = need all the FPS you can.
I would say great sound and a good mouse helps express that skill easier.

Anyway, how are the ER4P's compared to say the AD-700's?
I plan to use the ER4P not as portables.
Any of the notorious microphonic issues in the ER4P even when sitting down?

I like all sorts of music + game a bit so it'll be mixed use + need that soundstage.

Any real difference between the GX400's and th ER4P (I'll get whatever's cheaper)?

Any other (preferably unamped) alternatives?

Anyway as a sdienote, this isn't me but widely regarded as the best FPS player in NZ is a guy called 'Ali3nz'. Known in the community and he doesn't cheat but he uses a lot of techniques such as 'dragshotting' to get frags.

http://nz.youtube.com/user/aLi3nZw00t

If the scene was bigger down here, there would be no doubt he would be a professional gamer.

Sep 28, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #139 of 179
Nothing can substitue skill. Guess it irks me companies like TB,Razor,Steel give a top gamer headphone, and when he does good it's due to the headphone. See,so and so uses them so they must be good. I wish top gamers were headphone nuts so they would market real headphones, instead of whats being feed on the pro circuit.

Sep 28, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #140 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any real difference between the GX400's and th ER4P (I'll get whatever's cheaper)?

GX-400's = ER-4P's + mic + inline volume

Some games sound can make a huge difference, especially someone new to a game. Knowing where the enemy are before seeing them - I'd say this a major improvement to any gamer, despite whatever skill level they're at.

PS that video you posted I could only watch the first couple minutes cos all of the ffwd'ing was annoying - but I think you need more than good camping skills to go pro
wink.gif

If he was getting 20 streaks outside moving around the place it'd be a dif story...still a good example of where sound helps, knowing when people were running underneath etc.

Sep 29, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #141 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trepid!ty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
GX-400's = ER-4P's + mic + inline volume

Some games sound can make a huge difference, especially someone new to a game. Knowing where the enemy are before seeing them - I'd say this a major improvement to any gamer, despite whatever skill level they're at.

PS that video you posted I could only watch the first couple minutes cos all of the ffwd'ing was annoying - but I think you need more than good camping skills to go pro
wink.gif

If he was getting 20 streaks outside moving around the place it'd be a dif story...still a good example of where sound helps, knowing when people were running underneath etc.

He's got other streak vids of him moving around etc...

Anyway, I need some more opinions of the ER4P/GX400 for gaming please
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 29, 2008 at 8:04 AM Post #142 of 179
cod4 and cs are not fast fps games lol...play a team fortress or quake game
tongue.gif

I'm pretty sure they're the exact same thing, except the GX400 has a mic and maybe a different color scheme?

Sep 29, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #145 of 179
I love my Ultrasone Pro 2500. You won't be disappointed !!

Aug 14, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #148 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As a 'serious' gamer with some skill (been in the newspaper for my skills :p) The above = very very true. A good mouse does help so does great sound but doesn't substitute for skill. Funny enough, there are games in which lower FPS does help in situations e.g. BF2 as the AT missles go slower and thus easier to control and with other slower paced FPS's while fast-paced FPS's (e.g. Counter-Strike, Call of Duty 4) = need all the FPS you can.
I would say great sound and a good mouse helps express that skill easier.

Exactly, knowing your game is beyond important when trying to perform well in it.

Good players can still play well on cheap, yet effective, equipment. There are many players who use a simple Microsoft wheel mouse optical, because it has faultless tracking coupled with a decent shape and size. A lot of newer laser stuff can malfunction during tracking, especially with high speed movement, for all they market them with these stupidly high statistics.

A similar situation for sound. Yes, you need sound in games. And yes, you need to hear where it's coming from sometimes. But you'd be surprised how well cheap headphones can actually do this. There is a difference, but if you can't master other aspects of gaming it's not going to improve your play as you think it might. Then if you get to professional level you'll find you're expected to play using headphones your sponsor gives you, because the general population will buy that manufacturer's equipment thinking it's key to that professional's success. Little do many of them know that it's far more important to practise with what they've got than expect the tools they use to make them so much better.

What makes me even sadder is how players download the configuration files of professional players and expect them to help improve their play. To me it's madness to believe other's settings will help you, when clearly coming up with settings that you find comfortable and you stick with all the time are so much more beneficial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back