Best Soundstage? Headphones for Gaming :)
Oct 25, 2009 at 8:15 AM Post #151 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by radicalrev /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry to bring this thread up, any1 knows if AKG 701 or 601 is good for gaming?

What genres do you game in? K701 is not something for action games or such where you need more body bass but otherwise it´s surely not bad. Headphones that are good for music never are truly bad for gaming I noticed.

My computer is to loud to use it while gaming though and I preferr my Pro 900:s soundstaging anyway for movies. And movies/games are pretty much the same except for the sound quality generally is better in movies of course.

kool bubba ice those gaming headphones may actually be better for surround. Since they don´t care **** about sound quality but use every trick in the world to bring the surround effects up front by elevating the treble and what not. So if you are just after that they may not be a bad option but I doubt there are many of them in here that tolerate it. Though of course they are being payed for their opinions so you have to take what it´s. But take CMSS3D for example. Superior to dolby headphone but man do it distort the sound.

It´s really not worth it though. I could never use lesser gear that make gaming less fun just to get more kills.

Oct 25, 2009 at 9:18 AM Post #152 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trepid!ty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very happy with purchase, wish they were available locally so I wasn't so worried about breaking them (they're so small!)

Would you recommend them over the adh700?

Oct 25, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #153 of 179
Completely agree. But about it distorting the sound; it doesn't distort the sound i[size=x-small][size=x-small]n the strict sense of the word. It colours and extract/mask some clarity/details in the sound [that depends of the song that you are playing (quality of encoding), the characteristics/quality of the headphones and the level of CMSS3D that you did use] for an airy and spacious soundstage.[/size][/size] But if you use the CMSS3D in the minimum; the 'distortion' is almost imperceptible.
The same occurs with the cristalizer. If you leave it in the minimun, it will not create distortion (and over brittleness with bright headphones) in the mid to high frecuencies.
I prefer to leave both activated in the minimum settings.
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
....But take CMSS3D for example. Superior to dolby headphone but man do it distort the sound.

It´s really not worth it though. I could never use lesser gear that make gaming less fun just to get more kills.

Oct 26, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #154 of 179
Keep in mind the GX-400's are actually just Ety ER4P's but with a mic, volume, clip & mute on the cable. So these are very well known and highly recommended IEM's for music also.

I haven't compared to ADH700s for gaming but I prefer the IEM's over my Beyer DT880's when playing comp. For pub \ SP games I'll take the DT880's because they're more comfortable and a lot "nicer" sounding.

Oct 26, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #155 of 179
Just curious what you mean be nicer sounding.. Another guy said that he too uses the gx400 for comp. play, but for more "fun" he'll switch to another set...

I'm just trying to understand this point. If the ety are really good for music than for gaming they must be very immersive...

Oct 26, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #156 of 179
Someone said: "It´s really not worth it though. I could never use lesser gear that make gaming less fun just to get more kills."

I'm not sure about the rest of you but I don't consider the GX-400's "lesser gear" and I have a LOT less fun when I can't hear the very things the game is trying to convey to me. I find that frustrating to no end.

See my e-mail back to you on why some would change off and on.

Oct 26, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #157 of 179
The best gaming combo I've found to date are the Sony PFR-V1's and the Auzentech Forte with CMSS-3d Headphone enabled.

I've tried the Audio-Technica A900 phones, and they severely lack mid range quality. Beyerdynamic is good, but positioning suffers. 'Dolby Headphone' should be called 'Dolby Fishbowl' with regards to gaming. There's something weird with Ultrasone also, it's just not natural sounding to me, almost like it's selectively lacking mid range as well but in a more 'tuned' way. I would still pick HFI-780 over A900 though.

Nov 24, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #158 of 179
Will Grado sr225i work as gaming phones? Of course I am getting them for music, but I also want to do some gaming from time to time. Without buying a separate pair for gaming and another for music.

Nov 24, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #160 of 179
Grados are not well regarded as gaming headphones. It depends if you care about soundstaging at all I suppose in general if you will be fine with them or not
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 24, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #161 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilashort /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CMSS3D in the minimum; the 'distortion' is almost imperceptible.

What are you on about with the minimum? There's no "minimum" CMSS-3D setting, it's either on or it's off. In the new drivers for it (don't know how new I didn't update mine in FOREVER), distortion from CMSS-3D is completely eliminated on all settings other than Headphones when you choose the output type. Since the 2/2.1 speaker setting sounds about 1000x better than the Headphones setting anyways, it's a very good thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by coredump /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K701 is the best positioning/soundstage headphone I've ever used. It needs and amp and although it stays cool it can get uncomfortable after a while.

The lack of bass tends to kill all fun of ingame audio though. Not to mention the soundstage is so wide that your perception of how far away the sound is can get distorted.

Nov 24, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #162 of 179
If you're looking for more bass in your games then you're missing the point of accurate spacial cues.

Not sure about you but in an FPS the fun is in my ability to take you out, not in how loud the grenade is that you kill me with.

Nov 24, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #163 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway as a sdienote, this isn't me but widely regarded as the best FPS player in NZ is a guy called 'Ali3nz'. Known in the community and he doesn't cheat but he uses a lot of techniques such as 'dragshotting' to get frags.

YouTube - aLi3nZw00t's Channel

If the scene was bigger down here, there would be no doubt he would be a professional gamer.

The guy widely regarded as the best FPS player in NZ makes videos of him playing in pub servers, and does not have a single match/scrim video on there, nor does he play any actually popular competitive game such a CS 1.6, CoD2/4 (yes I know he has a couple CoD4 videos, they were average and taken in a pub with perks...), or even CSS (again, average pub videos)?

I watched a few of his videos across CoD4 and CSS, and a BF2 vid, almost all his shots were just average or luck shots, all were taken in pubs, and overall was very unimpressive. Certainly not anywhere near a pro gaming level.

I don't mean to be a dick about it, just pointing out he really isn't very good. Hell, the guy plays CoD5, that's just embarassing.

NZ has pro 1.6 and Source AND CoD4 teams, this guy doesn't even come close to comparing with real pros. The scene there isn't even that small, he just isn't that good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agrajag /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're looking for more bass in your games then you're missing the point of accurate spacial cues.

Not sure about you but in an FPS the fun is in my ability to take you out, not in how loud the grenade is that you kill me with.

I'm sorry I think you misunderstood me, I'm not saying a ton of bass is good, but a complete lack of bass such as the K701s have is very, very bad. Constant high piercing sounds from gunshots (have you heard the AK in CS on K701s? It's brutal) is the most distracting thing you can imagine. Not to mention the wide soundstage on K701s distorting positioning horribly.

On the other hand, a ton of bass is not a good thing either. You just want to get the right balance. DT880 are one of the best gaming headphones I've ever used for that reason. I personally adore my D5000s for gaming (with J$ pads, without them they suck for gaming due to lack of soundstage), as they're burned in so the bass has tightened up a lot and is not overwhelming, but I still think that the DT880s are overall better for gaming. They're next on my buy list.

Nov 25, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #164 of 179
Sorry, but i have the XMOD (it doesn't need drivers to work); which is a DAP/DSP. And it have variable cristalizer and CMSS-3D settings...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are you on about with the minimum? There's no "minimum" CMSS-3D setting, it's either on or it's off. In the new drivers for it (don't know how new I didn't update mine in FOREVER), distortion from CMSS-3D is completely eliminated on all settings other than Headphones when you choose the output type. Since the 2/2.1 speaker setting sounds about 1000x better than the Headphones setting anyways, it's a very good thing.

Nov 25, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #165 of 179
Quote:

(have you heard the AK in CS on K701s? It's brutal) is the most distracting thing you can imagine. Not to mention the wide soundstage on K701s distorting positioning horribly.

I guess opinions vary. I wrote a review a while back comparing several different headphones for gaming and picked the K701 as the winner mostly because the positioning was the best I'd ever heard. However, having used different sources I can see how opinions may vary. I thought the A700 was excellent with the X-Fi XtremeGamer but not as much with my external DACs. I also don't find that the AK sounds much different on the K701 than other headphones but then again I almost always choose the M4 so I can use the silencer. It's stealthy and it saves my hearing.
biggrin.gif

I think bass response is one of the biggest factors in choosing a headphone for competitive gaming. It's not a matter of how much or how little you have. It's how well it flows with other sounds. This is something I've noticed more in gaming than music. The bass on some headphones can mask all other sounds and leave you blind. The HD650 is a good example of bad bass. Close gunfire will prevent you from hearing other import sounds such as foot steps and reloads. The A700 has decent bass slam but it never masks other sounds. This is less of an issue with bass light phones such as the AD900 and K701.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back