Best Soundstage? Headphones for Gaming :)
Nov 25, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #166 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by coredump /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think bass response is one of the biggest factors in choosing a headphone for competitive gaming. It's not a matter of how much or how little you have. It's how well it flows with other sounds. This is something I've noticed more in gaming than music. The bass on some headphones can mask all other sounds and leave you blind. The HD650 is a good example of bad bass. Close gunfire will prevent you from hearing other import sounds such as foot steps and reloads. The A700 has decent bass slam but it never masks other sounds. This is less of an issue with bass light phones such as the AD900 and K701.

This is exactly what I was trying to say for the most part. Bass is not a bad thing as long as it isn't overwhelming, but too much or too little bass can in fact be a bad thing for gaming.

Quote:

I guess opinions vary. I wrote a review a while back comparing several different headphones for gaming and picked the K701 as the winner mostly because the positioning was the best I'd ever heard. However, having used different sources I can see how opinions may vary. I thought the A700 was excellent with the X-Fi XtremeGamer but not as much with my external DACs. I also don't find that the AK sounds much different on the K701 than other headphones but then again I almost always choose the M4 so I can use the silencer. It's stealthy and it saves my hearing.
biggrin.gif

Just curious but what headphones did you compare it with?

Also, I did use the K701s with a rather poor amp, so that could have been my problem with them. But that's something to consider as well when looking at them for gaming headphones, you really need to invest in a good amp to get the most out of them.

Nov 25, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #167 of 179
Quote:

Also, I did use the K701s with a rather poor amp, so that could have been my problem with them. But that's something to consider as well when looking at them for gaming headphones, you really need to invest in a good amp to get the most out of them.

Yes. They are a ridiculous choice for most but if someone already had them they're worth a shot.

Quote:

Just curious but what headphones did you compare it with?

Lets see. K701, AD900, Pro2500, HD650, MS1, A700, DT770, and recently the HF2. Most were used with a Zero but the Pro2500 and HF2 were used with a Compass and TU882.

Nov 25, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #168 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by coredump /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lets see. K701, AD900, Pro2500, HD650, MS1, A700, DT770, and recently the HF2. Most were used with a Zero but the Pro2500 and HF2 were used with a Compass and TU882.

Ah I see, well I really wouldn't expect any of those to come anywhere near the K701 other than the HD650 anyways, even on a low end amp. And I'm really not a fan of HD650 for gaming either :p

I won't deny that K701 are nice headphones, but for gaming, options such as DT880 (DT770 bass is too overpowering for gaming and soundstage is too constricted), Denon D series (only with stuffed stock or J$ pads, otherwise the soundstage blows), and the like far exceed it in my opinion.

I just feel the K701s sound stage, although very large, is too inaccurate to be beneficial in gaming (people can sound like they're a distance away and be right around the corner).

But to each his own.

Nov 25, 2009 at 5:27 AM Post #169 of 179
my ATH-AD500's are pretty amazing for gaming, and seem just as good as the AD700's I've heard now I've burned in my 500's.

I've been thinking of getting the AD900's soon. I want a good gaming phone, as well as a good overall sound as well. But prefer something that doesn't need to be amped, but I'll try my PA2v2 on it. Would the AD900's be a good choice, as well as a worthwhile upgrade

Dec 12, 2009 at 10:47 AM Post #170 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah I see, well I really wouldn't expect any of those to come anywhere near the K701 other than the HD650 anyways, even on a low end amp. And I'm really not a fan of HD650 for gaming either :p

I won't deny that K701 are nice headphones, but for gaming, options such as DT880 (DT770 bass is too overpowering for gaming and soundstage is too constricted), Denon D series (only with stuffed stock or J$ pads, otherwise the soundstage blows), and the like far exceed it in my opinion.

I just feel the K701s sound stage, although very large, is too inaccurate to be beneficial in gaming (people can sound like they're a distance away and be right around the corner).

But to each his own.

Which version of the dt880 do you recommend? Will the 32ohm do the trick because I will be using them ampless

I am torn off between ad700/ad900/hd595/hd555/dt770/dt880

Also what do you think of ie8 for gaming.

I mostly play quakelive

Dec 12, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #172 of 179
100% Ad700's for pure gaming. Extremely pinpoint accuracy on sound stage and not much else. They really lack bass, but while gaming bass will only distort the accuracy of the headphones.

Jan 4, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #173 of 179
43st when you said that you still prefer the HFI 780s over the A900s with dolby headphone. What was it that you liked about the 780s over the
A900s?

I have the A900s and although they sound pretty good with dolby headphone, I was wondering if HFI 780 would sound any better with dolby headphone in terms of sounding closer to speakers.

Jan 4, 2010 at 7:57 AM Post #174 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by sfxjames /img/forum/go_quote.gif
43st when you said that you still prefer the HFI 780s over the A900s with dolby headphone. What was it that you liked about the 780s over the
A900s?

I have the A900s and although they sound pretty good with dolby headphone, I was wondering if HFI 780 would sound any better with dolby headphone in terms of sounding closer to speakers.

FYI, the hfi 780's are the WORST audiophile headphones that i've used with Dolby Headphone. Very small soundstage and 3d positioning is not accurate. The Beyer DT880's are the best headphones that i've tried with Dolby Headphone.

Jan 4, 2010 at 8:02 AM Post #175 of 179
Sansa Stock earbuds ftw. True they are not great quality, but I've been gaming with them on and I can pinpoint where people are. Even with my HD600s, you cant really pinpoint which direction people are. Get a great set of buds, i know its weird, but try it. Those on the left will only come through the left side, on cans they can come through both and lead to confusion, even if it comes through more on the right side if they are on your right, it can still confuse and throw you off. With buds there are no "where did that come from" moments

Jan 7, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #177 of 179
I'm greatly torn between the AT a900 and the a700 for gaming.

I need closed cans, so the ad900 (which most people recommend for gaming) is out.

Currently the a900 ($250) is twice as much as the a700 ($111) and unsure if it's worth it.

Jan 8, 2010 at 5:36 AM Post #178 of 179
Quote:

Foehammer how about the HD555s with DH, have you tried those?

haven't tried the 555's, but have with the 595's. DH works pretty well with them, all though i greatly prefer the akg k601's and beyer dt880's over them for DH.

Jan 10, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #179 of 179
Quote:

A900s?

You misunderstood me. I prefer straight up HFI-780 over the A900 in gaming (no DSP surround)... I don't think Dolby headphone should be used at all for gaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back