Best Soundstage? Headphones for Gaming :)
Mar 17, 2008 at 8:23 AM Post #91 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trepid!ty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any head-fi members willing to buy a pair from amazon then send them to Australia? UPS is very good for international and I can use paypal or whatever's easiest and payment up front.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullveyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

nobody?
frown.gif

hey, the risk would be on my side
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agrajag /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At least you know who I work for. heheh

... and your real name and face
biggrin.gif

Apr 15, 2008 at 6:56 AM Post #95 of 179
According to a review that i see in the past from an known audio review site, It say that CMSS-3D (My XMOD use it, and i can't live without it) was better than Dolby headphone.... I am not sure of it, because i am not tested it with an physical device; but i test it by software (a trailer of a F1 race, demonstrating the technology) and i was disappointed.
For me, i don't have the need of a DH headphone decoder; My XMOD made the perfect calculations and create a convincing 3D Space, even from stereo and mono. The only area that i don't listen for now, are sounds that come from below me (only with binaural recordings i get it effect), including movies, and it is compatible with all the multichannel formats.
The bad, is that it doesn't has a digital out/optical out to use with a DAC (or i don't known or i am not sure if i can use the processing funtions with a dac, with an adapter...) .

Sep 18, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #96 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by wilashort /img/forum/go_quote.gif
According to a review that i see in the past from an known audio review site, It say that CMSS-3D (My XMOD use it, and i can't live without it) was better than Dolby headphone.

I have never tried dolby headphone, but I tried CMSS on some PC first person shooters and I did not like it. It sounded like I was in a sheet metal barn.

I think a decent amp with crossfeed and the right headphones will work better for gaming than CMSS. You get the positional feedback but with a warmer more natural sound.

My 2 cents.

Sep 18, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #97 of 179
You read well my post?, isn't CMSS But CMSS-3D. the original CMSS is nothing in comparisson to the last (i had a extigy soundcard, which had implemented it).
You are wrong about your second paragraph.
And amp solo with crossfeed will not give you 3D possitional audio (you will miss the center and rear channels in x.1 audio ).
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have never tried dolby headphone, but I tried CMSS on some PC first person shooters and I did not like it. It sounded like I was in a sheet metal barn.

I think a decent amp with crossfeed and the right headphones will work better for gaming than CMSS. You get the positional feedback but with a warmer more natural sound.

My 2 cents.

Sep 18, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #98 of 179
Whilst I have not read through every post here, Ive played my share of cal and cevo for 1.6, and my last season I busted out the k701s and they are definately an improvement over the se530s or any bassmonster. When your playing games (counterstrike at least!) the least important sound is bass. Why would you want to focus on the awper in mid or nades goind off in b when you could be spamming and listening for dinks (which are highs) or footies (middish high spectrum). Also bomb ticks are gonna play a role as are bomb defuse sounds, highs and mids also. Also in vent an TS you want to be able to hear in game calls over the kid spamming every post on mill.

I personally think that the 701s were good especially with crossfeed turned off (thats why we use headphones for gaming and not speakers). However I am fairly certain that any set of cans with good seperation and a focus on mids and highs would be a good set of gaming phones. Whilst I have not heard as many phones as the collective head-fi community im sure they could recommend a pairthat fits this bill.

Remember, Highs, Mids, and Seperation!

Dave

Sep 19, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #99 of 179
Quote:

You are wrong about your second paragraph.
And amp solo with crossfeed will not give you 3D possitional audio (you will miss the center and rear channels in x.1 audio ).

Not true...All headphones are two channel. Crossfeeding mixes the two channels slightly. So instead of having two relatively discreet sound fields you get a more open natural stage. Sounds appear to move around you and the transition sounds more realistic. Without it, sounds seem to jump from ear to ear.

Basically, the image expands and sounds appear to revolve around you.

Sep 19, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #100 of 179
For $300..he can get HD555 + good DAC

note that for Gaming the Soundcard is more important than the Headphones.

Sep 19, 2008 at 5:37 AM Post #101 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For $300..he can get HD555 + good DAC

note that for Gaming the Soundcard is more important than the Headphones.

I strongly disagree - having tried many combinations of headphones and soundcards I believe that both components are equally important.

Sep 19, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #102 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trepid!ty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I strongly disagree - having tried many combinations of headphones and soundcards I believe that both components are equally important.

Ya obviously... but HD555 are regarded very highly among Gamers...and they aint so expensive...so he buy a good DAC + amp with remaining $175 - $200

Sep 19, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #103 of 179
...I experiment it everyday, and you said me that i am wrong?. Yes, all the headphones have two channels, but the technology use/emulate realistically the 3D sound if the source have x.1 sound in a game or movie (it decode any x.1 format...) .... And CMSS 3D is the more accurate implementation, period.
For answering your question again, i already had tested my onboard audio card (that is of a reasonable good quality) + my amp with crossfeed and i can't listen the center and rear channels in a movie for example (yes i can listen sounds in center, but it is mixed and not dedicated for voices as it is/should....).
At purpose, have you listen the CMSS 3D demo in the creative labs's site?, i want that you check it; for that you can have a true impression of how this technology really works.
Ah, with my dac/dsp i don't need crossfeed [(it have an integrated one...) it only expand the sounstage and attenuate a little (clean) the harsness in the highs when i use it with my dac/dsp]. But obviously without it [(the dac/dsp) and you have reason with that you have said], i need of the crossfeed with some music records, because of the extreme separation to the left, right of sounds, but that is for all (or almost all) of the standalone dacs without crossfeed integrated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not true...All headphones are two channel. Crossfeeding mixes the two channels slightly. So instead of having two relatively discreet sound fields you get a more open natural stage. Sounds appear to move around you and the transition sounds more realistic. Without it, sounds seem to jump from ear to ear.

Basically, the image expands and sounds appear to revolve around you.

Sep 19, 2008 at 6:20 AM Post #104 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ya obviously... but HD555 are regarded very highly among Gamers...and they aint so expensive...so he buy a good DAC + amp with remaining $175 - $200

They are well regarded cause they are relativy cheap for good mid fi cans. And most gamers won't spend more, which is silly if pro gaming is your livlihood.

Sep 19, 2008 at 6:24 AM Post #105 of 179
Quote:

...I experiment it everyday, and you said me that i am wrong?. Yes, all the headphones have two channels, but the technology use/emulate realistically the 3D sound if the source have x.1 sound in a game or movie (it decode any x.1 format...) .... And CMSS 3D is the more accurate implementation, period.
For answering your question again, i already had tested my onboard audio card (that is of a reasonable good quality) + my amp with crossfeed and i can't listen the center and rear channels in a movie for example (yes i can listen sounds in center, but it is mixed and not dedicated for voices as it is/should....).
At purpose, have you listen the CMSS 3D demo in the creative labs's site?, i want that you check it; for that you can have a true impression of how this technology really works.
Ah, with my dac/dsp i don't need crossfeed [(it have an integrated one...) it only expand the sounstage and attenuate a little (clean) the harsness in the highs when i use it with my dac/dsp]. But obviously without it [(the dac/dsp) and you have reason with that you have said], i need of the crossfeed with some music records, because of the extreme separation to the left, right of sounds, but that is for all (or almost all) of the standalone dacs without crossfeed integrated.

Dude i ve been through that.

CMSS 3D is good for positioning but the it makes my headphones sound like Metal Tins..

the screws up with headphone acoustics also.

if all u want is enemy position then yes CMSS-3D works but the Sound itself comes out horrible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back