Best solid state amp under $1000
May 22, 2011 at 7:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Tuberoller1

Member of the Trade
I'm looking to upgrade my channel island VHP-2 to another solid state amp under $1000.  Here are the contenders that I can think of.  Let me know if you have compared any of these directly, which is the best in your opinion, or is there another you would suggest.  If this helps I'm using it with a pair of audio technica ath-m50s, but am thinking to upgrading to a higher end sealed can, most likely Denon AH-D7000 or AT ATH-W1000x.

headamp GS-1
stello HP-100
burson HA-160
PS audio GCHA
lake people HPA V181
blue circle hat peed thingee 1 or 2
rudistor nx-03
graham slee solo
musical fidelity M1HPA

May 22, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #2 of 27
I'm enjoying my new Burson HA-160 a lot, although I haven't A/B'd it against any of the other amps in your list.

You might want to mention what headphone you'll be using, though.

May 22, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #4 of 27
The Blue Circle Hat Peed Thingee with the Biggie Pipe power supply is a great sounding amp.  I used to own the Luxman P1-u and feel that the Hat Peed Thingee approaches the performance of the Luxman at a fraction of the price.

May 22, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #5 of 27
I'm not sure if the D7000 has different sensitivity, but I didn't think the gain settings of Burson were a good match for my D2000. The low impedance port couldn't get loud enough, while the high impedance port got too loud too fast (and also revealed annoying computer noise from my Micro DAC's USB connection that is not audible with the Micro Amp).

May 23, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #6 of 27
Try a M^3. That's a terrific amp.

You can also pull off a Beta22 if you build it yourself.

Or just pick up a $300 Dynalo. No caps in the signal path and 1W of exceptionally clean power. Maybe not a new design, but it remains an excellent one.

You know, why don't you pick up two Dynalos and use the other $400 to drop them into one case and balance them? You should be able to pull that off for $400. This is also known as the Dynamid or Gilmore Reference when it was a commercial model. It was considered one of the finest amps at any price, and I don't know why it still wouldn't be.

May 23, 2011 at 9:52 AM Post #7 of 27
I've seen a SE Beta 22 and Audio-GD Phoenix hit the FS forums at <$1000 and I think both those would be home-runs.  Haven't heard the Phoenix but I've read that it's phenomenal, and the Beta 22 is fantastic.

May 23, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #8 of 27
The m3 and b22 are fantastic for a cheaper option I really like the ck2III.
I also think you should consider spending more on your headphones and less on the amp, as I have found headphones/speakers make by far the largest difference to the sound.

Jun 4, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #9 of 27
Thanks for all the suggestions.  Right now I am leaning towards the BC Hat Peed Thingee, headamp, or musical fidelity M1HPA.  Has anyone compared any of these, or have any other suggestions to pair with my Denon ATH-D7000s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back