Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 28, 2016 at 6:00 AM Post #3,289 of 7,916
Oneplus always struggled when the audio quality with headphones are considered, but it always had the potential to do better, so I believe that with the right music player and software like Viper4android it could sound great. If anyone buy it the user review would confirm what I just said.

Thanks! :wink:

There's also a hope for the next Asus Zenfone 3:

w6jaTJI.png

Source: https://www.asus.com/Phone/ZenFone-3-ZE552KL/

L3000.gif

Jun 28, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #3,290 of 7,916
I bought last week the LG V10 961a Version.
The price from 368 € made my dession easy. I come from a Iphone 5 s that I used as my MP3 Player and a HTC m7.
So far I'm pretty impressed. I tried 1st the LG Earplugs (AKG).
Not that bad but no competition to my Sennheiser IE8. As headphones I used so far only my Audio-Technica ATH-M50x at work. Will try in the next day's my Bayerdynamic DT770 32 Ohm LE and my Wife's Bose Quietcomfort 25.

Gesendet von meinem LG-H960 mit Tapatalk

Jun 28, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #3,291 of 7,916
Thats what the article stated:

"Vivo is also big on Hi-Fi audio and comes with two 32-bit digital-to-analog converters and three amplifiers (respect for that!). But first things first."

The Xplay 5 Elite packs an ES9028 DAC chip and TI OPA1612 amplifier.
Dual DAC & dual AMP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malifact link

There are quite a few reviews in Chinese of the Axon 7 that discuss its audio capabilities. There's a thread with a translation of them on the ZTE USA community forum. The general consensus is the Axon 7 performs very well on the audio front and is a step up from the previous generation of Axon phones. The only negative review I read is where they compared it directly to the Vivo Xplay 5 and found the latter was superior in every way.

Sorry, not much clear for me. Are you saying that the Xplay 5 Elite sounds much better than the Axon 7 in every way?

The Xplay 5 Elite has 2*ES9028+OPA1612 according to GSM Arena.

The Axon 7 has AKM 4961 + 4490

Do we know which one is better? 
confused.gif

EDIT: Found this on GSM Arena:

Quote:

...From an objective point of view, the Xpaly5 Elite model stacks the best audio DACs & op-amps in business while using the most expensive audio setup ever conceived for a smart phone. Period. 

HiFi 3.0 implementation in Xplay5 Elite ensures a PAIR (not one) of high-end stereo ESS SABRE ES9028 DACs followed by a PAIR (not one) of Texas Instruments OPA1612 dual op-amps is differential configuration. Each ES9028 being a stereo DAC and able to handle two audio channels are forced to act a mono DAC handling only one channel in HiFi 3.0 architecture for even better performance. Result is 3dB increase in signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) from 129dB to a magnanimous 132dB in a smart phone!!! Then the OPA1612's that falls next in the audio chain are again used in expensive differential configuration. These are acting as I/V converters i.e. converting the current output of DACs to voltage to drive our headphones. This is serious stuff applicable to 5% of the smart phone buyers who uses expensive audiophile grade headphones to listen to music. Finally another OPA1612 in single-ended configuration completes the chain by acting as a sole headphone amplifier. Promising to say the least, coz in paper at least it beats my Vivo X5Max"s HiFi 2.0 architecture fair and square.

Page 328.

Sent from my Optimus G using Tapatalk

Jun 28, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #3,292 of 7,916
Oneplus always struggled when the audio quality with headphones are considered, but it always had the potential to do better, so I believe that with the right music player and software like Viper4android it could sound great. If anyone buy it the user review would confirm what I just said.

Thanks! :wink:

There's also a hope for the next Asus Zenfone 3:

w6jaTJI.png

Source: https://www.asus.com/Phone/ZenFone-3-ZE552KL/

L3000.gif

Asus has some experience in the audio front so this could be a good thing. Just like any other audio test either you try it first or wait for some user review.

Sent from my Optimus G using Tapatalk

Jun 28, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #3,293 of 7,916
Dual DAC dual AMP config. No tripple anything.

Well, according to my previous post, it has "triple" Amp design. Pastapipo is correct. Btw, I've added the HTC 10 and Xiaomi Mi5 on the list.

Vivo X6 Plus – ESS ES9028 DAC / ES9603 Amp w/ Yamaha YSS-205X audio processor (can drive up to 600 ohms)
Vivo X6S Plus - Cirrus Logic CS4398 DAC / Analog Devices AD45257 Amp
Meizu Pro 5 – ESS ES9018K2M DAC / OPA1612 Amp w/ NXP Transistor
Meizu Pro 6 – Cirrus Logic CS46L36 DAC/Amp w/ NXP TFA9911
ZTE Axon 7 - AKM4490(Main) + AKM4961(Recording) / Smart PA / Dolby Atmos
Lenovo Vibe X3 - ESS Sabre 9018C2M(Main) + Wolfson WM8281 DAC(Recording) / 3x TI OPA1612 Amp / Dolby Atmos
Xiaomi Mi Note Pro - ESS Sabre ES9018K2M DAC / 2x TI OPA1612 & 2x ADI ADA4896 Amp (can drive up to 600 ohms)
Ulefone Vienna - NXP Smart Audio PA DAC/Amp
Vivo XPlay 5 Elite/Ultimate - 2x ESS Sabre ES9028 DAC / 3x TI OPA1612 opamp
LG G5 HiFi Plus B&O Module - ESS Sabre ES9028C2M + Sabre9602C Amp
UMI Super - Awinic AW8738 DAC/Amp
Leagoo Shark 1 - Awinic K6 DAC/Amp
Sony Z3 - Qualcomm WCD9320 Audio Codec / 2x NXP TFA9890 DAC/Amp
LG V10 - ESS Sabre ES9018 DAC / ES9602 Amp
LeTV Le Max Pro – AKG Audio / Dolby Atmos / LeHiFi
Alcatel Flash Plus 2 – AK4375 DAC / NXP9890 Amp - $150
HTC 10 - Qualcomm Aqstic DAC + Smart PA Combo ( same setup used by Xiaomi Mi5)

Vivo XPlay 5 Elite

Jun 28, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #3,295 of 7,916
GSMArena posted a review of the Xplay5 elite. The numbers seem kind of underwhelming. Xiaomi Mi5 outscores it in all metrics and now I'm conflicted.

I haven't heard the Mi5 but I haven't come across one review on the Chinese web that says the Mi5 performs as well as the XPlay 5 in audio. I was surprised to read the GSMArena review, as I found the XPlay 5 was just as loud as my LG V10.

Jun 28, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #3,296 of 7,916
  GSMArena posted a review of the Xplay5 elite. The numbers seem kind of underwhelming. Xiaomi Mi5 outscores it in all metrics and now I'm conflicted.

If the xplay elite has a "hifi on " button, then most likely it was off, as has been the case with others (Such as the meizu, lgv10, et all). After that, I simply don't trust GSMarena for audio reviews.

Jun 28, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #3,297 of 7,916
  If the xplay elite has a "hifi on " button, then most likely it was off, as has been the case with others (Such as the meizu, lgv10, et all). After that, I simply don't trust GSMarena for audio reviews.

I agree that their review didn't detailed the Audio department enough. However they showed every other aspect of the phone, which makes me feel more safe to buy. It's a solid phone, despite not having USB Type-C and other few minor things. I really don't care if the phone looks like a Ripoff. The "Originals" doesn't have that Audio setup. To hell with brands.

Fun fact: Vivo is actually the name of one of the biggest brazillian carriers. I'm pretty sure everyone will be amazed to see my new "Vivo" phone 
etysmile.gif

Only thing that's not clear for me because of my lack of knowledge is that I don't know how to check if the phone will be compatible with my country's carriers. If anyone can help me with this, I'd appreciate it very much. I live in Brazil, as mentioned before.

EDIT: Just emailed GSM Arena asking if they forgot about this "Hifi ON/OFF" Switch". I'll let you guys know if they answer.

Jun 28, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #3,298 of 7,916
  I agree that their review didn't detailed the Audio department enough. However they showed every other aspect of the phone, which makes me feel more safe to buy. It's a solid phone, despite not having USB Type-C and other few minor things. I really don't care if the phone looks like a Ripoff. The "Originals" doesn't have that Audio setup. To hell with brands.

Fun fact: Vivo is actually the name of one of the biggest brazillian carriers. I'm pretty sure everyone will be amazed to see my new "Vivo" phone 
etysmile.gif

Only thing that's not clear for me because of my lack of knowledge is that I don't know how to check if the phone will be compatible with my country's carriers. If anyone can help me with this, I'd appreciate it very much. I live in Brazil, as mentioned before.

EDIT: Just emailed GSM Arena asking if they forgot about this "Hifi ON/OFF" Switch". I'll let you guys know if they answer.

I don't know how many versions there are of the Vivo, but it looks like Brazil uses LTE bands: 3, 7, 28 and 38. Of those, the Vivo (at least the one from China) lists LTE bands 3, 7 and 38. I do not think missing band 28 is a big deal as I think only one carrier uses it. Having the other three bands should get you LTE most of the time. Hope this helps. 

-Collin-

Jun 28, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #3,299 of 7,916

I don't know how many versions there are of the Vivo, but it looks like Brazil uses LTE bands: 3, 7, 28 and 38. Of those, the Vivo (at least the one from China) lists LTE bands 3, 7 and 38. I do not think missing band 28 is a big deal as I think only one carrier uses it. Having the other three bands should get you LTE most of the time. Hope this helps. 

-Collin-

Yes, it helped. Now I know the phone will work here. Thanks for your time!

Jun 28, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #3,300 of 7,916

This is a valid point, the reviewers could be great at reviewing IT gadgets and write very well. if his got 2 left ears and is tone deaf, how if he supposed to know how the audio sounds?

After all it's not high on the priority list, for these people reviewing these phones. And they they may not even have the needed mid tear, or, high end iem's/headphones to test the phone's audio properly.

And testing the internal audio DAC/amplifier stages properly, would require nearly as much effort and time, if not more than the whole initial device review.

Especially with the quirk's, and bug workarounds to get things working properly, like with the Early V10 Android versions.
Personally, I wouldn't trust their opinion on audio, at GSM arena, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back