Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 1, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #3,316 of 7,916
Followed this thread for awhile, wanted a nice 5" phone with good sound and good battery life. Was aiming for the HTC 10 but ultimately ended up with the Mi 5 because finding a dealer near where I live is much easier (and it was much cheaper, great for a phone-dropper like me).

LG phones aren't officially available here (all grey imports) and I wasn't ready to take the leap into Vivo or Meizu. Haven't tried the audio yet from Mi 5, but based on the GSM Arena review, I shouldn't be disappointed. Here goes nothing.

Jul 1, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #3,317 of 7,916
I don't know, no external micro SD on the mi5, and no external battery.
I would think about this carefully, it does have some nice features,I agree.
But importing a v10 was hassle free, no regrets as yet. I would recommend the v10 over the mi5.

It's a really tough, well built phone, with brilliant audio. I think the v10 will carry better resale value, over the long term as well. That is, if you ever sell it.

Jul 1, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #3,318 of 7,916
I don't know, no external SD on the mi5, and no external battery.
I would think about this carefully, it does have some nice features,i agree.
But importing a v10 was hassle free, no regrets as yet. I would recommend the v10 over the mi5.

It's a really tough, well built phone, with brilliant audio.I think the v10 will carry better resale value, over the long term as well. That is, if you ever sell it.

Yeah I thought about it too, but 64gb storage should be enough for work since my main setup is at home. The battery becomes a non-issue since the service centre is near my home. It's just a few days without the phone when it's time to change battery.

I've followed the v10 thread closely for a time, and I think it's still probably the best DAC phone today, but I can't bring myself to use a phablet. Maybe when I get a windfall someday I'll get that as a DAP/backup phone. Always curious how it sounded.

Jul 1, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #3,319 of 7,916
Yeah I thought about it too, but 64gb storage should be enough for work since my main setup is at home. The battery becomes a non-issue since the service centre is near my home. It's just a few days without the phone when it's time to change battery.

I've followed the v10 thread closely for a time, and I think it's still probably the best DAC phone today, but I can't bring myself to use a phablet. Maybe when I get a windfall someday I'll get that as a DAP/backup phone. Always curious how it sounded.

64 gig is a bit but when you start shooting a few high res videos and storing some pics, as well installing apps, you might find that music space running out fast,(just a thought). And with the 512 gig micro SD coming.:smiling_imp:

But it's not so much repairing the phone that I was thinking about, it's the great feature of flipping batteries when one runs out. It beats carrying around a bulky charger. And the v10 batteries are very thin, you don't even know you are carrying it.

But your right, she is a big phone, a phablet it is indeed. It's awkward at times, watching a movie on it makes it all worthwhile having such a huge screen. And the sound is sensational for a phone, just great implementation of the DAC/amp.
On the downside, I have to use 2 hands to use it.

Looking forward to your thoughts on the mi5 if you pick it up.

Jul 1, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #3,320 of 7,916
It really is a step up from the S7, I totally agree with you. I have the G5 + HiFi DAC which is roughly the same as the V10 and it blows my S7 out of the water. Unfortunately for me, the S7 is such a more pleasant phone to deal with day to day in everything but audio, so I have ultimately decided that I will keep the S7 + Dragonfly Red and just deal with it. The G5 + HiFi DAC is driving me insane with it cutting in and out and losing connection. Anyway, glad you like the V10. As an overall package, I think it's better than the gimicky module system of the G5. You made the right choice. 

-Collin-
that is why I piggy back the LG DAC off of the S7E, best of both worlds :)

Agree though, the DAC should be in the phone from the off, but I guess the audiophile market is still too niche for it to be a standard included (if we consider that the V10 and the G5 module ate quite country specific)

Guessing you have a non EU G5?

Jul 1, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #3,321 of 7,916
that is why I piggy back the LG DAC off of the S7E, best of both worlds
smily_headphones1.gif

Agree though, the DAC should be in the phone from the off, but I guess the audiophile market is still too niche for it to be a standard included (if we consider that the V10 and the G5 module ate quite country specific)

Guessing you have a non EU G5?

I had very poor luck trying to use the B&O DAC with my S7. I exclusively use Tidal so was forced to use UAPP. How did you use it? The volume control didn't work at all. I wasn't sure if maybe I was doing something wrong or it it was just the product of a DAC without hardware volume controls.

-Collin-

Jul 1, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #3,322 of 7,916

64gb is a joke!  I have 200gb microsd with 64gb lgv10 = 264gb and still struggle for space.  

Jul 1, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #3,323 of 7,916
I had very poor luck trying to use the B&O DAC with my S7. I exclusively use Tidal so was forced to use UAPP. How did you use it? The volume control didn't work at all. I wasn't sure if maybe I was doing something wrong or it it was just the product of a DAC without hardware volume controls.

-Collin-
Yes, UAPP - and use software volume control, then all is good :)

Jul 1, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #3,324 of 7,916
  64gb is a joke!  I have 200gb microsd with 64gb lgv10 = 264gb and still struggle for space.  

If someone would have to choose a Meizu right now, it's better to go for the last one: the Pro 5.
The upper Pro 5 model has 4Gb ram, 64Gb rom AND a microsd slot. And the oled 5.7" display is damn nice. A nice step-up from the Pro 4. If you add the Sabre chip and the OPA amp, it's a good audio contender.

Right now, I'm testing it.

Jul 1, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #3,325 of 7,916
If someone would have to choose a Meizu right now, it's better to go for the last one: the Pro 5.
The upper Pro 5 model has 4Gb ram, 64Gb rom AND a microsd slot. And the oled 5.7" display is damn nice. A nice step-up from the Pro 4. If you add the Sabre chip and the OPA amp, it's a good audio contender.

Right now, I'm testing it.

is there sound difference between pro5 3/32 and 4/64?

Jul 1, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #3,327 of 7,916
It really is a step up from the S7, I totally agree with you. I have the G5 + HiFi DAC which is roughly the same as the V10 and it blows my S7 out of the water. Unfortunately for me, the S7 is such a more pleasant phone to deal with day to day in everything but audio, so I have ultimately decided that I will keep the S7 + Dragonfly Red and just deal with it. The G5 + HiFi DAC is driving me insane with it cutting in and out and losing connection. Anyway, glad you like the V10. As an overall package, I think it's better than the gimicky module system of the G5. You made the right choice. 

-Collin-

Look into the Note 5. Measures about the same with external amp as the LG V10, and better with headphones.

Jul 1, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #3,328 of 7,916
Those who are searching for a really amazing sounding Smartphone for a reasonable price should consider the Mi Note/Mi Note pro. I`ve had that phone before (Mi Note pro) and compared it with a Meizu Pro 5. Well, i was too stupid to turn the HI-FI setting (On Meizu it`s turned on by default) and sold it because i thought the audio quality was average.
Now i`ve bought it again because there was an awesome offer on ebay, and what can i say? Turned on the HI-FI setting, and that Phone destroyed anything that i`ve ever heard before in terms of audio quality, which would be the Meizu Pro 5, a Fiio x1, a fiio x3 (1gen), Nubia z9 max (which sounds very average) an LG V10 and a couple of Iphones and Xperia devices, mainly Xperia z2 and z3 and Ip.5s and Ip.6.

What`s even more awesome, Viper4android and dolby atmos are working flawlessly WITH the Hi-fi mode. As i said, the device sounds gorgeous by itself in HI-FI mode and is the loudest thing i`ve ever heard in my life while not loosing clarity even at highest volume, so i use viper/Dolby only to give it a bass boost, which is a little lacking in Hi-fi mode. Using a software mod like viper for anything else just degrades the sound quality and is not needed with such good hardware.

I compared that phone extensively with my Pro 5 and here`s what my ears think about it: The Pro 5 is of course a great sounding device, but it brings out too much of the upper mids and muffles it together with an ear piercing treble at higher volume. It can be very harsh on your ears when you listen to it for a longer time. It sounded a little bit "fuller" in a very few electro/techno songs, but for the rest, the Mi Note delivers more overall clarity, better treble/upper mids handling and more instrument separation. Voices also sound a tad cleaner and are better separated from the rest of the music. I`ve sold the Pro 5 now because the sound quality of the MI Note impressed me so much. Of course we all have different hearing, so what sounds better for me won`t necessarily sound better for you. The Pro 5 is still better than at least 90% of all the other smartphones in the audio department and is an excellent device by itself. Build quality is like a freaking tank, i dropped that thing countless times on beton , it grinded 5 meters on a concrete floor and still worked like a charm after that, so praise where praise belongs :).

Speaking about the V10 that gets praised so much by some people here, i`ll just give my personal impression about it (V10 fans, don`t be upset :)
Bought that phone to compare with the Meizu Pro 5, listened to it and sold it 4 days after. The Meizu Pro 5 was louder and sounded better overall. (And it`s faster, doesn`t heat up, etc etc.) For the rest like Xperia z and other phones without dedicated audio hardware:
They can have the best software setup, you can put as much viper and other mods on them as you want, but the result will always be inferior to devices with good audio Hardware. It will sound artificial and just not as good in comparison (unless you`re using cheap cans of course).

Jul 1, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #3,329 of 7,916
Those who are searching for a really amazing sounding Smartphone for a reasonable price should consider the Mi Note/Mi Note pro. I`ve had that phone before (Mi Note pro) and compared it with a Meizu Pro 5. Well, i was too stupid to turn the HI-FI setting (On Meizu it`s turned on by default) and sold it because i thought the audio quality was average.
Now i`ve bought it again because there was an awesome offer on ebay, and what can i say? Turned on the HI-FI setting, and that Phone destroyed anything that i`ve ever heard before in terms of audio quality, which would be the Meizu Pro 5, a Fiio x1, a fiio x3 (1gen), Nubia z9 max (which sounds very average) an LG V10 and a couple of Iphones and Xperia devices, mainly Xperia z2 and z3 and Ip.5s and Ip.6.

What`s even more awesome, Viper4android and dolby atmos are working flawlessly WITH the Hi-fi mode. As i said, the device sounds gorgeous by itself in HI-FI mode and is the loudest thing i`ve ever heard in my life while not loosing clarity even at highest volume, so i use viper/Dolby only to give it a bass boost, which is a little lacking in Hi-fi mode. Using a software mod like viper for anything else just degrades the sound quality and is not needed with such good hardware.

I compared that phone extensively with my Pro 5 and here`s what my ears think about it: The Pro 5 is of course a great sounding device, but it brings out too much of the upper mids and muffles it together with an ear piercing treble at higher volume. It can be very harsh on your ears when you listen to it for a longer time. It sounded a little bit "fuller" in a very few electro/techno songs, but for the rest, the Mi Note delivers more overall clarity, better treble/upper mids handling and more instrument separation. Voices also sound a tad cleaner and are better separated from the rest of the music. I`ve sold the Pro 5 now because the sound quality of the MI Note impressed me so much. Of course we all have different hearing, so what sounds better for me won`t necessarily sound better for you. The Pro 5 is still better than at least 90% of all the other smartphones in the audio department and is an excellent device by itself. Build quality is like a freaking tank, i dropped that thing countless times on beton , it grinded 5 meters on a concrete floor and still worked like a charm after that, so praise where praise belongs :).

Speaking about the V10 that gets praised so much by some people here, i`ll just give my personal impression about it (V10 fans, don`t be upset :)
Bought that phone to compare with the Meizu Pro 5, listened to it and sold it 4 days after. The Meizu Pro 5 was louder and sounded better overall. (And it`s faster, doesn`t heat up, etc etc.) For the rest like Xperia z and other phones without dedicated audio hardware:
They can have the best software setup, you can put as much viper and other mods on them as you want, but the result will always be inferior to devices with good audio Hardware. It will sound artificial and just not as good in comparison (unless you`re using cheap cans of course).

This post sum up a legit and priceless information everyone must know!

and this post also confirms that I am not the only one who think LG V10 is a bit overrated.

another note, if you love mi note pro sound, you should try Letv max gen 1 as well. i believe you will be impressed with sound quality from smartphone in ANOTHER level.

Jul 1, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #3,330 of 7,916
The v10 may have been quieter due to several factors, firstly the DAC has bug and will not engage within 3rd party apps, and early versions of Android. The stock v10 player is very dull, to these ears.

I doubt people have even been using the hi-fi DAC, and the SOC embedded audio has been used. This easily explaines the mixed opinions. And poor measurements.
The other problem LG is opting to use an adaptive internal amplifier, this amplifier will measure the IEM's/headphones and only deliver as much power as it's measured impedance will allow. The problem is the amplifier doesn't get this right all the time. And your 30ohm headphones might appreciate that extra powers that's, not on offer.
So of coarse the volume will be overall quieter, without impedance adapters.
(LG have done this to protect the consumers hearing, and stop damaging volume spikes)
So all these tests and comparisons and mixed opinions should be taken with a grain of salt. That is unless people are sure that the hi-fi DAC is engaged in the v10, and the correct software is used. The results will blow away a lot of DAP's on the market today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back