Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 7, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #2,671 of 7,916

This is from a paragraph from http://lifehacker.com/5903575/unleash-your-headphones-full-potential-with-a-usb-dac-and-amplifier
"Note that you can only get the full benefit of a DAC/amp combo with your desktop or laptop computer, via USB or SPDIF. While you can get DAC/amp combos for iPods and other mobile devices, the DAC half of the device won’t actually work. Only the amp half will. This is still great for giving your sound a boost in volume if it’s coming out too quiet, but just know that the DAC won’t work—so if you only plan on using it with an iPod, you don’t need a DAC or combo, just a mobile amp."

I am in Cambodia, I can't  seem to find the lenovo vibe x3 (youth). So I will have to order it. But some say the youth version is less optimal for sound and it's the regular version that got all the praise from what I read.. So I thought why not buy the Redmi note 3 + dac/amp. Hopefully lifehacker article is wrong and the dac does work, the article dates from 2012.

Can anyone recommend a dac/amp for the redmi note 3 ? Do I need amp ? The good thing is that I can use the dac/amp for my laptop and my ipod too..

lenovo x3 or lenovo x3 youth or redmi note 3 or redmi note 3 +dac/amp  ?   :)

From what I gather, the dac will most definatly work. Android 5.0 (November 12th 2014) is supposed to support USB OTG DACs out of the box (although not every manufacturer follows this). Some DACs should even work from Android version 4.2.2 (February 11th 2013) and up, so yes the DAC should be running fine on any of the newer android models.

May 7, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #2,672 of 7,916
Yes, sounds too good to be true. I hear a Sabre chip costs $40 so how can the whole phone cost less than $70.
Can you read Chinese? How did you know it's not available?

You can check out by clicking on the taobao link. It says the product is taken down. That listing must be a mistake or a scam. The whole phone looks exactly like mi note hifi.

Anyways, royalstar/荣事达 is a well-known brand in china, but only for their egg beater and rice cooker. I've never heard them making smartphones before.

Their shop is here. https://royalstarrh.world.tmall.com/?spm=a312a.7700824.0.0.ScV6iz

May 7, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #2,674 of 7,916
  Honestly speaking, i think your money is better off spending in upgrading your headphone coz your current hp really dun benefit much from dac/amp. Note that if you're considering redmi note 3 snapdragon edition, it supports Audio-Qualcomm® Immersive Audio+Hi-Fi 192kHz/24bit music playback+Low power Snapdragon Voice Activation.

I recommend getting redmi note 3 and then consider upgrading your headphone and lastly get dac/amp .

While the headphones are not stellar, you will definatly benefit from swaping the DAC with them. Even trash headphones for 5$ will notice a difference from switching the source. It would also be foolish to pick up a new pair of headphones that you tested towards the original source (the phone) and then getting a dac/amp that may completely change how they sound.

May 7, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #2,675 of 7,916
  While the headphones are not stellar, you will definatly benefit from swaping the DAC with them. Even trash headphones for 5$ will notice a difference from switching the source. It would also be foolish to pick up a new pair of headphones that you tested towards the original source (the phone) and then getting a dac/amp that may completely change how they sound.

ya but not benefit much. Note that redmi note 3 already has qual hifi chip. so its more like upgrading your dac rather than swapping out a trash dac.

May 7, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #2,676 of 7,916
  ya but not benefit much. Note that redmi note 3 already has qual hifi chip. so its more like upgrading your dac rather than swapping out a trash dac.

I see, my original post to him was more in the direction of just getting a cheap phone without even bothering about getting a decent DAC in it. then he would be able to get a mid-range DAC to hook up to it and still come out with very little money spent in total.

Getting a simple amp on the side might still be benefitial though if the phone amp is on the weak side, although I think a simple 30$ CMoy would do the trick for that.

May 7, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #2,677 of 7,916

This is from a paragraph from http://lifehacker.com/5903575/unleash-your-headphones-full-potential-with-a-usb-dac-and-amplifier
"Note that you can only get the full benefit of a DAC/amp combo with your desktop or laptop computer, via USB or SPDIF. While you can get DAC/amp combos for iPods and other mobile devices, the DAC half of the device won’t actually work. Only the amp half will. This is still great for giving your sound a boost in volume if it’s coming out too quiet, but just know that the DAC won’t work—so if you only plan on using it with an iPod, you don’t need a DAC or combo, just a mobile amp."

I am in Cambodia, I can't  seem to find the lenovo vibe x3 (youth). So I will have to order it. But some say the youth version is less optimal for sound and it's the regular version that got all the praise from what I read.. So I thought why not buy the Redmi note 3 + dac/amp. Hopefully lifehacker article is wrong and the dac does work, the article dates from 2012.

Can anyone recommend a dac/amp for the redmi note 3 ? Do I need amp ? The good thing is that I can use the dac/amp for my laptop and my ipod too..

lenovo x3 or lenovo x3 youth or redmi note 3 or redmi note 3 +dac/amp  ?   :)

Vibe x3,,, perfect device almost good as v10.. go for it

May 7, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #2,678 of 7,916
Vibe x3,,, perfect device almost good as v10.. go for it

I agree.
The pros of having one device weighs higher than the possible raise in sound quality in my opinion. When the need is there, you can always buy a high quality DAC/amp that really makes a difference. I've got a topping nx1 and a separate dac in case my phone couldn't deliver. Since all my iems are easily driven, I've never used it.

May 7, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #2,679 of 7,916
Hi Guys,

I need your help to choose the best smartphone with the following characteristics, in order of priority:

- has aptx bluetooth to connect with my Momentum Wireless
- has a decent internal DAC when I plug in my IEMs (K3003i, occasionally SE846)
- will work properly when used as a transport for my Mojo
- has a MicroSD slot to expand the memory
- can read HiRes files up to 24/192

The lighter and smaller the better...

Difficult task??

May 8, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #2,680 of 7,916
As a "system" I am impressed with the S7 (edge) and LG QuadBeat3...

Individually neither item is stellar, but with the right fit on the IEMs there is a crazily good synergy, the IEMs totally overlooking the weaknesses of the S7.

I am impressed with how well my Sony A3's and Z5's sound with my new S7 Edge and PowerAmp app

May 8, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #2,681 of 7,916
  I recommend Redmi note 3 and lenovo vibe x3 youth edition.The lenovo vibe x3 has wolfson wm DAC while redmi note 3 doesn't come with any hi fi features but its performs faster and cheaper. Both cost under 200usd. Redmi note 3 is just 150usd....dirt cheap...

Quote:
  Note that if you're considering redmi note 3 snapdragon edition, it supports Audio-Qualcomm® Immersive Audio+Hi-Fi 192kHz/24bit music playback+Low power Snapdragon Voice Activation.

So the regular redmi note 3 is very standard for audio but the Snapdragon edition is better ?

How can I recognise the snapdragon edition ? And what is the price ?
Here's the Redmi note 3 pro 32GB for 250 USD  http://www.hakse.com.kh/ProductDetail.aspx?ID=1681
and here the Redmi note 3 for 185 USD http://www.hakse.com.kh/ProductDetail.aspx?ID=1618

I reckon the prices are a bit higher on that site. Tomorrow I will hit the city Phnom Penh (been living here since two months I am from Europe) and look out for the Redmi note 3 Snapdragon and the vibe x 3. I would rather not get it delivered, it might be a hassle with customs and stuff, also I don't want to wait a few weeks. If I can't find one of these two than I will go for the regular Redmi note 3 which I already found for 185 USD and if by your replies it looks like the sound of that device is mediocre than I will buy a dac/amp unless there is better smartphone+ dac/amp combo, I don't mind spending 500 USD for it all. If I get very lazy and upset by how complicated it is/looks than I'll go for the LG V10 or HTC 10 or maybe I'll risk it and order the vibe x3 from alliepress, after all chine is somewhat close to cambodia :)

thank you for all your replies, I am a newbie it helps me a lot!

May 8, 2016 at 5:05 AM Post #2,682 of 7,916

So the regular redmi note 3 is very standard for audio but the Snapdragon edition is better ?

How can I recognise the snapdragon edition ? And what is the price ?
Here's the Redmi note 3 pro 32GB for 250 USD  http://www.hakse.com.kh/ProductDetail.aspx?ID=1681
and here the Redmi note 3 for 185 USD http://www.hakse.com.kh/ProductDetail.aspx?ID=1618

I reckon the prices are a bit higher on that site. Tomorrow I will hit the city Phnom Penh (been living here since two months I am from Europe) and look out for the Redmi note 3 Snapdragon and the vibe x 3. I would rather not get it delivered, it might be a hassle with customs and stuff, also I don't want to wait a few weeks. If I can't find one of these two than I will go for the regular Redmi note 3 which I already found for 185 USD and if by your replies it looks like the sound of that device is mediocre than I will buy a dac/amp unless there is better smartphone+ dac/amp combo, I don't mind spending 500 USD for it all. If I get very lazy and upset by how complicated it is/looks than I'll go for the LG V10 or HTC 10 or maybe I'll risk it and order the vibe x3 from alliepress, after all chine is somewhat close to cambodia :)

thank you for all your replies, I am a newbie it helps me a lot!

Price varies depending on your location.  Redmi note 3 snapdragon should cost a bit more than Redmi note 3 helio x10. If you live in china, 16gb snapdragon redmi note 3 cost 999rmb,helio x10 899rmb. If you live in singapore where I am, an export set 16gb snapdragon cost S$220 while local set 32gb pro cost S$299. Note that snapdragon comes with micro sd slot while helio x10 doesn't.

If you are interested in used samsung products,do note some galaxy s3/s4/s5/s6 comes with hifi wolfson dac but some models don't. For example, my s3 i9305 comes with hifi wolfson dac while s3 snapdragon version doesn't come with any hifi wolfson or qualcomm chip. God, currently used s3 i9305 cost only S$120 in my country :/

You may wanna take note that Xiaomi MI MAX flagship is coming in few days,not sure if it will comes with hifi feature tho.

May 8, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #2,684 of 7,916
  Hi Guys,

I need your help to choose the best smartphone with the following characteristics, in order of priority:

- has aptx bluetooth to connect with my Momentum Wireless
- has a decent internal DAC when I plug in my IEMs (K3003i, occasionally SE846)
- will work properly when used as a transport for my Mojo
- has a MicroSD slot to expand the memory
- can read HiRes files up to 24/192

The lighter and smaller the better...

Difficult task??

Aptx bluetooth? is that different from normal one?
Decent DAC check 
Mojo transport check
SD Slot check
Hi res Supported 

Lighter and small = NOPE ..bit big  and heavy

http://www.amazon.in/b?node=9276262031

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back