Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 18, 2016 at 5:17 AM Post #3,961 of 7,916
  Alcatel flash 2 was mentioned a few posts back.

Not sure if the reference was actually to Flash plus 2 which is very recent.

Anyways, what do you people think about this (Alcatel) Flash plus 2 ? Say vs Ulefone Vienna for comparable price point.

Yeah it should be flash plus 2.

I was actually asking about the "Flash 2" only, not the plus :) the 5.5" on the plus didn't appeal to me so I opted for the flash 2 with 5" and cheaper though it has no dac

Aug 18, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #3,962 of 7,916
Got an S7 edge, comparing to outgoing Z5 over weekend

Aug 18, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #3,963 of 7,916

I was actually asking about the "Flash 2" only, not the plus :) the 5.5" on the plus didn't appeal to me so I opted for the flash 2 with 5" and cheaper though it has no dac

Yea, I would choose a smaller device every time, not sure why everyone is building over 5", maybe they get these larger screens at a volume discount or something.

And why some cheap manufacturer won't build a smaller, under 5" screen device with good sound, do they think it won't sell enough?

Having said that, I am waiting for Cubot Echo, if this one is decent sounding it would be great, never mind what else is missing at this price point. Cheap small device with good sound and large battery (removable or at least easily accessible), it's OK if device is thicker and heavier, this is all I need, is it too much to ask ?

Aug 18, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #3,964 of 7,916
You can see, and do more on a large screen...

Movie viewing (for the masses, bear in mind here that we are the niche group) is logically a lot more pleasurable on a larger screen.

Aug 18, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #3,965 of 7,916

Yea, I would choose a smaller device every time, not sure why everyone is building over 5", maybe they get these larger screens at a volume discount or something.

And why some cheap manufacturer won't build a smaller, under 5" screen device with good sound, do they think it won't sell enough?

Having said that, I am waiting for Cubot Echo, if this one is decent sounding it would be great, never mind what else is missing at this price point. Cheap small device with good sound and large battery (removable or at least easily accessible), it's OK if device is thicker and heavier, this is all I need, is it too much to ask ?

I believe there are trade offs to be made, everything takes space, especially the battery, cooling for the CPU, Android is power hungry. Just look at the Marshall Phone, 2500mah battery, low specs.

To be honest, looking at the market, audio quality is low on the list of average consumers, older people with cash to spend want bigger screens so they can see text clearly, younger consumers wants to watch videos, take pictures.

On my V10, the Android system alone is taking 1Gb of ram, 200Mb for the UI, 200 for player pro, 200 whatsapp, google play 130, etc etc..... 2Gb fills rather quickly.

Aug 19, 2016 at 4:22 AM Post #3,967 of 7,916

though I'm not an expert maybe it would take more "engineering" to stuff all the good things on a compact device, I for one prefer the Iphone SE or the sony xperia compact line but I can't afford any of those so yeah, I think I'll just trust v4a to improve the sound of af2 if possible.

Aug 19, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #3,968 of 7,916

I think about the partition to have dedicated dac amp need spaces and high battery is also large and yeah having larger screen is good for watching movie.

Aug 19, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #3,969 of 7,916
how's the battery life on the v10? do you get at least 5 hours of sot?

There are a lot of factors to consider, for example was reading with low brightness setting and battery went from 100-80% in 2 hours. In daylight, it will drain much faster, I havn't test it, but looking at my usage in the past few days, 5 hours shouldn't be a problem.

Aug 20, 2016 at 4:10 AM Post #3,970 of 7,916
  Your list is so flawless. Do you mind if I add the sound signature details of each phone since I have tried them quite a lot. To make like hall of fame "Audiophile phone"

Meizu Pro 5: Warm Signature with good detail. a bit roll off treble. Slow speed. Decent sweer mid bass. Super good at Vocal and audiophile. While listening to Utada Hikaru, I can feel her whisper so gently. However some metal and EDM is not quite for Pro 5.
Meizu Pro 6: Still in warm tone. smaller soundstage with thinner mid than Pro 5. 
Lenovo Vibe X3: Let's say it has analytical sound signature with tight bass and good impact. extended treble. Faster speed. Good at overall. comparable to LG V10.
Xiaomi Mi Note (Standard/Pro): Mi note Pro is like Lenovo vibe X3. while mi note has lesser bass compared to Pro. Fast Speed. Bright tone
LG V10: Monitoring sound. High Power output but need to activate it by adding resistance adaptor properly. Huge soundstage. good instrument separation.
LeTV Le Max/ Pro (Gen 1) Le Max has highest power output among all phone I test. Speedy. Widest soundstage. can pull up all Micro-detail in song. Impact and bass is overwhelming. extended treble. Instrument separation is also comparable to mid-fi DAP. Overall. God of Rock music. while 5.5" Letv Pro is cheaper and give more relaxing compared to Le Max with wide soundstage and good detail and separation as usual.
Alcatel Flash Plus 2: Just good for its price. doesn't come any close to all list above. It is good for slow song, crystal clear bell. Thin mid and bass impact is not punchy for some song.
Vivo X5 Max: Fun and catchy. Treble Emphasis. can easily make your ear tired. 3D Soundstage. need matching with bass headphone like SONY.
Vivo X5 Pro / Vivo V3 Max : It is Alcatel Flash Plus with better separation.
Vivo Xshot: warm tone. bassier for some songs. but still feel good listening to it.

Correct me if you feel contradict to me on my description. :D

so can i assume according to this that Letv le 1 pro is the best to get, what about axon 7

Aug 20, 2016 at 4:26 AM Post #3,972 of 7,916
From the description of the audio, he describes it as having the highest power output of what he's tested. I guess if loudness is your discriminating criteria for audio quality then that post speaks for itself.

i more of a sound quality seeker than loudness seeker

i like warm, detailed, layered big sound stage sound with good bass 

Aug 20, 2016 at 4:50 AM Post #3,973 of 7,916
i more of a sound quality seeker than loudness seeker

i like warm, detailed, layered big sound stage sound with good bass 

Recommend meizu pro 5 if you are warm tone lover.

Aug 20, 2016 at 4:58 AM Post #3,974 of 7,916
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back