Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Apr 21, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #3,379 of 5,166
Yeah,i think so. All "Quad Dac" from LG is ESS (Qualcomm dont have any quaddac.)

Then anyone who has g8x pls show "Device Info HW".
From my G8x

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200414-194300~2.png
    Screenshot_20200414-194300~2.png
    15.4 KB · Views: 0
Apr 21, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #3,382 of 5,166
Hi everyone. I ordered an Asus ROG phone for $317 off AE couple of days ago. From what I hear it has some kind of 24 bit 192kHz DAC in it.

But its more interesting audiophile feature for me was something else - it has two USB slots. Enough to connect a charger and an external desktop or mobile dac at the same time. I'm not certain how well it works like this, but if it does, I'll be happy. Will report back when it arrives.

Is there any further information about the dac on this phone or a list of phones with 2 usb slots somewhere? I know the ROG 2 phone also has two and the upcoming Lenovo Legion is also said to have two.

Apr 21, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #3,383 of 5,166
Hi everyone. I ordered an Asus ROG phone for $317 off AE couple of days ago. From what I hear it has some kind of 24 bit 192kHz DAC in it.

But its more interesting audiophile feature for me was something else - it has two USB slots. Enough to connect a charger and an external desktop or mobile dac at the same time. I'm not certain how well it works like this, but if it does, I'll be happy. Will report back when it arrives.

Is there any further information about the dac on this phone or a list of phones with 2 usb slots somewhere? I know the ROG 2 phone also has two and the upcoming Lenovo Legion is also said to have two.
From what ive seen on another forums the Rog Phone uses qualcomm own DAC

Apr 21, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #3,384 of 5,166
I am very pleased with the V40. I am currently exploring all possible music at TIDAL.
Some albums sound very good.
But my FLACs still sound much better through the UAPP app.

I have the same phone and looks like i will be keeping it awhile. *Anything* after this phone, LG f-ed things up one way or another. From V50 on DSD is converted to PCM, which is completely unacceptable as it negates the whole purpose of the format. And the V60? LG didn't pay for licensing of either MQA or DTS (that's why it's now labelled "LG 3D audio")--so it loses both those, and still converts the DSD audio. So it may have a spanking new ESS 9219 chip (finally!)...but LG disabled it's best features. They also made it a monstrous beast and like 800 lbs weight. To some what it does with DSD makes no difference, but nearly all my media is DSD from my disc collection, so that's a big bad deal!

Looks like the V40 is the best LG phone of the bunch for the audiophile. I finally got used to the size increase over the svelte V30 (it doesn't weigh a ridiculous amount more), but has the superior Meridian tuning over the V30, which makes a difference with quality headphones. Most importantly, it has all the goodies stripped off the latest model: true DTS sound, MQA hardware encoding for Tidal, and PURE DSD PLAYBACK!!

--------------------------------------------------------

From the UAPP developer himself...seems everything after the V40 converts now (V50/G8X/etc)--and MQA support was dropped with the V60.

V50: Includes MQA decoding. The V50 does not feature DoP. The LG Music app will convert DSD to 88200Hz PCM, whereas UAPP converts to 352800Hz PCM.

V60: V60 does *not* feature MQA or DoP encoding.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #3,386 of 5,166
Quite disappointing to learn about the V50/V60 series. I still have my V30 with UAPP. I'm not using it much now for audio listening as I've unsubscribed from Tidal for the time being to cut back on personal expenses. The V30 is still my daily driver as a phone though. If I get a new phone, I'll just have to come to term with the shortcomings of smartphone audio and continue to use a dap which I picked up on a whim after owning the V30.

Apr 21, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #3,387 of 5,166
Qobuz is only $14.99 now and has equally good sound quality--with no MQA to mess with. For instance, REM's discography there is almost 6k bitrate! I have a Fiio M11 Pro and honestly the V40 comes way too close to call. Unless you have demanding headphones (especially balanced), i would look for an ebay-returnable V40 instead.

Apr 24, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #3,389 of 5,166
Hello everyone, my V30 just died, and now I'm phoneless. While being very satisfied with the audio of the V30 I was extremely dissatisfied with the Smartphone itself (too big, Android is very bad on this phone, some design choices which upset me for example the glass back).
As I lack the possibility of determining the cause of death of the one year old phone (warranty expired in January), I can not exclude a LG related error (it got a few hits, but as it is defined as mil-std this shouldnt't be a problem).

As I'm not familiar with the V40's software (prolly the only LG I'd consider), is it as bad as the V30? And does anyone of you live with two devices, one as a Phone and one as a High Res Playback device? And is there literally no other options which may come close to the V - series? I have 80 Ohm Headphones which may need an amp (they worked well with the V30 ESS DAC)
How good are external DAC's /Amps, do they compete with a V30's audio? As far as I'm concerned the Phone itself shouldn't play a major role, as it is just delivering the Bits for the DAC...

My Phone History:
HTC One (UDSSR In Ears: Sennheiser CX old)
X Performance, the best Phone I've had. CX 100
LG V30+ (Beyerdynamic Custom Studio)

Apr 24, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #3,390 of 5,166
Hello everyone, my V30 just died, and now I'm phoneless. While being very satisfied with the audio of the V30 I was extremely dissatisfied with the Smartphone itself (too big, Android is very bad on this phone, some design choices which upset me for example the glass back).
As I lack the possibility of determining the cause of death of the one year old phone (warranty expired in January), I can not exclude a LG related error (it got a few hits, but as it is defined as mil-std this shouldnt't be a problem).

As I'm not familiar with the V40's software (prolly the only LG I'd consider), is it as bad as the V30? And does anyone of you live with two devices, one as a Phone and one as a High Res Playback device? And is there literally no other options which may come close to the V - series? I have 80 Ohm Headphones which may need an amp (they worked well with the V30 ESS DAC)
How good are external DAC's /Amps, do they compete with a V30's audio? As far as I'm concerned the Phone itself shouldn't play a major role, as it is just delivering the Bits for the DAC...

My Phone History:
HTC One (UDSSR In Ears: Sennheiser CX old)
X Performance, the best Phone I've had. CX 100
LG V30+ (Beyerdynamic Custom Studio)

If you thought the V30 was big, you're not going to have much luck. Flagship phones have gotten even bigger. The V40 is significantly bigger (6.4" vs 6.0" on the V30). And every flagship phone has a glass back now. LG's software has unfortunately stayed the same for the most part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back