Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Apr 24, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #3,391 of 5,166
If you thought the V30 was big, you're not going to have much luck. Flagship phones have gotten even bigger. The V40 is significantly bigger (6.4" vs 6.0" on the V30). And every flagship phone has a glass back now. LG's software has unfortunately stayed the same for the most part.
Yeah it was kinda big, but I think it was mostly the width of the phone which caused trouble to use it... The V40 should be the same with as the V30. What do you think of external DAC's? According to this it should further enhance the quality: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ifi-xdsd-quick-review-vs-the-lg-v30-quad-dac.893425/
But is it worth the inconvenience? If yes I'd rather go for a low end Phone...

Apr 24, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #3,392 of 5,166
But is it worth the inconvenience? If yes I'd rather go for a low end Phone...

That will be up to you. The subject will be subjective. Personally, I've used several well-known portable DACs (Mojo, Micro iDSD BL, xDSD, Cobalt, Q5), and LG's phones up to the G7. The DAC in the LG phones are good, no doubt, but in my experience they only sound as good as an entry level portable external DAC. The detail is there, but they lack other important things like imaging, dynamics, and amplification (dunno what headphones you're specifically using). The Mojo and Micro iDSD BL for instance sweep the floor with LG's DAC in my opinion. More musical, natural, and layered. Cobalt also has some of these qualities but lacks details. Think the xDSD and Q5 aren't too far ahead of LG's DAC. Like I said, if you only have a budget for a lower end external DAC, I'd just stick with LG's. The inconvenience wouldn't be worth the gain. But you can definitely get better SQ-wise, where I feel the inconvenience would be worth it.

Hope that helps.

Apr 24, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #3,393 of 5,166
That will be up to you. The subject will be subjective. Personally, I've used several well-known portable DACs (Mojo, Micro iDSD BL, xDSD, Cobalt, Q5), and LG's phones up to the G7. The DAC in the LG phones are good, no doubt, but in my experience they only sound as good as an entry level portable external DAC. The detail is there, but they lack other important things like imaging, dynamics, and amplification (dunno what headphones you're specifically using). The Mojo and Micro iDSD BL for instance sweep the floor with LG's DAC in my opinion. More musical, natural, and layered. Cobalt also has some of these qualities but lacks details. Think the xDSD and Q5 aren't too far ahead of LG's DAC. Like I said, if you only have a budget for a lower end external DAC, I'd just stick with LG's. The inconvenience wouldn't be worth the gain. But you can definitely get better SQ-wise, where I feel the inconvenience would be worth it.

Hope that helps.
It's half the way.
The Dac on the LG V-Series is excellent and matches the most Dacs out there.
The weak point is the amp section, which's destroying the whole picture. :wink:
But it is far better then on every other Smartphone out there, AIO wise.
The increased SQ belongs to the amp only, imo and experience.

Apr 24, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #3,394 of 5,166
I'll go for the external DAC solution then... I could use it for my PC aswell. Thank you very much for helping me out, this was exactly what I needed!
I'm using the Beyerdynamic Custom Studio, they were my first "professional" Headphones (I've had more expensive ones but they were consumer grade resulting in eighter super mid range bass boost or/and lower high freq... My eyes teared up when I first listened to them).
Ampwise I must admit the V30 wasn't too loud maxed out especially for classical music (I prefer to listen on lower volumes, so I'd rarely do it anyways). Also it got a kind of blurryness when i maxed the volume which wasn't the case on my Primare CDI10.

Thanks a lot!

Apr 24, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #3,395 of 5,166
Ifi is a good brand for dac btw. I am happy with hip dac.

Apr 25, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #3,396 of 5,166
Hi audiophiles! First-time poster, long-time reader. :)

OK so I found an LG G7 for $120 on eBay.
It's GSM Unlocked, pre-owned but in A-grade condition. The seller is "yywirelesss" with %99 rating.
So I think that I'm gonna have a safe buy...

However, I have 2 questions about the G7's audio quality:

1) How it compares to V30?
Which one has better clarity? deeper bass? wider soundstage? better instrument seperation?
I wanna hear a detailed comparison from someone who used both of them.

2) How it stands against the DAPs?
Being it priced at $120, can it at least beat the similarly-priced DAPs like Shanling M0? or maybe even the more expensive ones?

It would be really helpful if anyone answers my questions in detail and based on their real-life experiences, not based on looking at the spec-sheet.

Also, I'm not going to use a crazy 600-ohm headphone or something like that. The craziest thing I would use is Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250-ohm.
So please consider it. Thanks!

Apr 25, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #3,397 of 5,166
You should go ask this question in LG V30 thread. There are many users using LG many series than here. I only play V series.

Apr 26, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #3,398 of 5,166
Hi audiophiles! First-time poster, long-time reader. :)

OK so I found an LG G7 for $120 on eBay.
It's GSM Unlocked, pre-owned but in A-grade condition. The seller is "yywirelesss" with %99 rating.
So I think that I'm gonna have a safe buy...

However, I have 2 questions about the G7's audio quality:

1) How it compares to V30?
Which one has better clarity? deeper bass? wider soundstage? better instrument seperation?
I wanna hear a detailed comparison from someone who used both of them.

2) How it stands against the DAPs?
Being it priced at $120, can it at least beat the similarly-priced DAPs like Shanling M0? or maybe even the more expensive ones?

It would be really helpful if anyone answers my questions in detail and based on their real-life experiences, not based on looking at the spec-sheet.

Also, I'm not going to use a crazy 600-ohm headphone or something like that. The craziest thing I would use is Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250-ohm.
So please consider it. Thanks!

It could be wrong but sound style are similar.
LG has 3 sound character(from my experience)
More bass and lively sound: LG V20
Less bass and natural sound: LG G7, V30(I tested it in a short time.)
Something between above, natural but more lively,more musical than G7 (I'm prefer this type): LG V50 (maybe G8, i will test it on early may.)

And i have Shanling M0. In term of SQ it should be similar. But LG is better when using with high-impedance headphone.

PS. Sorry for my poor grammar :)

Apr 26, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #3,399 of 5,166
Is G7 tuned by B&O or Meridian? I cant remember now.

Apr 27, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #3,401 of 5,166

Hope that helps.

Sold my Mojo when the V30 arrived in my stable. I found the inconvenience of it to be moreso than the increase in sq.

Apr 28, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #3,402 of 5,166
What about FiiO BTR5 with a phone that is price less than LG phones? Especially since FiiO BTR5 have dual DAC es9218p, beside two option 2.5mm balanced and 3.5mm Unbalanced

How is the Dac performance of LG phones compared to FiiO BTR5

Apr 28, 2020 at 4:05 AM Post #3,403 of 5,166
What about FiiO BTR5 with a phone that is price less than LG phones? Especially since FiiO BTR5 have dual DAC es9218p, beside two option 2.5mm balanced and 3.5mm Unbalanced

How is the Dac performance of LG phones compared to FiiO BTR5
It's on par with the usb connection.
But the Btr5 isn't going hot in the highs on higher volume levels as fast as the LG Phones due to the more power it delivers.
It depends on the headphones you're going to use, ime. :wink:

Apr 29, 2020 at 2:06 AM Post #3,404 of 5,166
20200429_130036.jpg

Basic set up and get similar sound quality as ifi hip dac. Wonder what a gem it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back