Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Apr 18, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #3,361 of 5,166
V60 really have no ess dac :frowning2:

Do you have any source for this? I just received the V60 and own the V50. The HiFi Quad DAC menu in the audio settings is identical, as is the sound to my ears. Same thing with tricking the phone into Aux mode with an adapter, same filter settings, and the LG USA site claims quad DAC. Unless they have changed the brand of DAC and kept the software implementation the same, I really don’t believe there is no ESS Sabre DAC in the V60.

I don’t know anything about MQA, but I wouldn’t base hardware assumptions based on this. My own opinion is that LG are just sloppy when it comes to documentation and marketing :)

-Collin-

Apr 19, 2020 at 3:16 AM Post #3,362 of 5,166
What headphones do you have. You must have hi end phones to hear the difference.
The evidence tgat its dont have ess - in the lg us forum 3 days ago guy write that ue own.
And also write in google - v50 ess and then v60 ess
While you have an anounce for v50 from california ess news release, you dont have it for v60.

I have audiotechnika ATH ES10 (5HZ-40KHZ)
This headphones perfectly shows which is which.

So thy headphones that cost same price that v60 - and than you here it. The difference must be significant

Apr 19, 2020 at 3:32 AM Post #3,363 of 5,166
What headphones do you have. You must have hi end phones to hear the difference.
The evidence tgat its dont have ess - in the lg us forum 3 days ago guy write that ue own.
And also write in google - v50 ess and then v60 ess
While you have an anounce for v50 from california ess news release, you dont have it for v60.

I have audiotechnika ATH ES10 (5HZ-40KHZ)
This headphones perfectly shows which is which.

So thy headphones that cost same price that v60 - and than you here it. The difference must be significant

I did notice that ESS made a press release for the V50, but not for the V60. I would not take that as the source of truth for which DAC the V60 has though.

Do you own both? I literally just A/B'd both phones and they sound identical to my ears through Campfire Solaris. I think those are high end enough to show a variation in sources. For example, I easily hear a difference between V60 and Cayin N6ii. But between V50 and V60, I hear no difference. They even have the exact volumes matched at the same number.

IMG_4683.JPG

You mentioned that your headphones perfectly show which is which, so can you elaborate on that?

I am not disagreeing at all, just very curious to hear your thoughts. But to my ears, these phones have identical sound. I am not saying my ears are golden ears that can hear the most discreet differences, but it honestly seems like they have the same audio. We are giving LG, an incredibly lazy company when it comes to upgrades from version to version, way too much credit for architecting a new audio solution from one 5G phone to another in the span of a few months. Hell, it takes them two years to change the Android version! :)

-Collin-

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2020 at 4:49 AM Post #3,364 of 5,166
After one week with my new LG G8S I can say that sounds great for a smartphone. The best I’ve ever had.
I compared it to my Hiby R3 PRO and iBasso DX160. The DAPs obviously have more power, but the sound quality of this smartphone is very good. DX160 is better in everything but it’s not a night/day thing.
I use Tidal (HIFI/Master) and Spotify for stream, and have about 100gb of FLAC music on the micro SD.

Apr 19, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #3,365 of 5,166
May be us version of v50 dont have ess dac too?

Soon i will have my v50 and i can compare it face to face woth vivo xplay5s 2 ess 9028 dac, 3 opa amplifiers woth audiotechnika ath es10 and i tell you the answer

Apr 19, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #3,367 of 5,166
I read back a few pages and I guess I'm late to the discussion about whether or not V60 has ESS DAC.

There were a few LG phones years ago where only the Korean and European versions had the Sabre DACs, but LG was very clear about this. When I had the US version of the G5 without the Sabre DAC, the entire HiFi section was absent in the audio menu and it was not possible to toggle the Quad DAC like with the Korean version. So again unless LG has implemented a different 32-bit Quad DAC then it is unlikely not to have a Sabre DAC. I am happy to do any other testing I can to try to get to the truth, but I don’t know much about MQA. Is that the same as “Master” on Tidal?

Edit: device hardware info shows ES9218 as others have mentioned.

Screenshot_20200419-083748.png

Like another member mentioned, it seems like Android 10 broke DSD support, probably not the lack of an ESS DAC in the V60. V50 and G8 on Android 10 are both affected. Here's a thread on it:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/v50-thinq/how-to/broken-dsd-64-128-android-10-update-t4054655

-Collin-

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2020 at 3:06 AM Post #3,368 of 5,166
could someone with LG V50 post Device Info HW?

Apr 20, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #3,369 of 5,166
I read back a few pages and I guess I'm late to the discussion about whether or not V60 has ESS DAC.

There were a few LG phones years ago where only the Korean and European versions had the Sabre DACs, but LG was very clear about this. When I had the US version of the G5 without the Sabre DAC, the entire HiFi section was absent in the audio menu and it was not possible to toggle the Quad DAC like with the Korean version. So again unless LG has implemented a different 32-bit Quad DAC then it is unlikely not to have a Sabre DAC. I am happy to do any other testing I can to try to get to the truth, but I don’t know much about MQA. Is that the same as “Master” on Tidal?

Edit: device hardware info shows ES9218 as others have mentioned.

Screenshot_20200419-083748.png

Like another member mentioned, it seems like Android 10 broke DSD support, probably not the lack of an ESS DAC in the V60. V50 and G8 on Android 10 are both affected. Here's a thread on it:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/v50-thinq/how-to/broken-dsd-64-128-android-10-update-t4054655

-Collin-
I have tbe g8x and for now i can play DSD files just fine. In still in android 9 though

Apr 20, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #3,370 of 5,166
In my opinion,
I think "Meridian Tuned" is only tuned for speaker not include 3.5mm audio.

And DSD or MQA issue is from SW not HW(DAC) then all lg phones at least all LG V-serie(except V50S) and G-serie(except g8s) should have es9218p dac.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #3,372 of 5,166
In my opinion,
I think "Meridian Tuned" is only tuned for speaker not include 3.5mm audio.

And DSD or MQA issue is from SW not HW(DAC) then all lg phones at least all LG V-serie(except V50S) and G-serie(except g8s) should have es9218p dac.

For internal speaker and headphone quad dac meridian tuned. 👍

Apr 21, 2020 at 5:54 AM Post #3,375 of 5,166
9219 makes me feel tempted in audiophile smartphone journey again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back