Best Portable Headphones under $60...
Mar 26, 2005 at 5:27 AM Post #16 of 36
Anybody know where I can get either Audio-Technica FC7s or Sennheiser PX200s the cheapest? (To Canada)
280smile.gif

Mar 26, 2005 at 9:34 PM Post #20 of 36
Okay, Today I went to local retail store and they had a PX100 in stock. I quickly grabbed it and right now am playing on my iRiver H10. I love it! (Except the sound leaking
basshead.gif
)

Mar 26, 2005 at 11:54 PM Post #21 of 36
For me, "portable" means using outside, while walking around amongst traffic, on the bus, subway, or other form of transportation in which I am a passenger. That being said, I do not evaluate portable headphones in the same manner, or place the same priority levels on their attributes as with fine, home headphones.

So outside, I need:
1. Closed or sealed - allows lower volume levels which is good for typically underpowered portable sources, and saves my hearing for old age. Also, leaking open cans are just plain inconsiderate to others on public transportation.

2. Efficient - I don't wanna carry an amp, so they must be powered directly by my portable source.

3. Light & small - can't be too obtrusive when worn, and should fold into something that will fit in a backpack along with a laptop, books, and whatever else I'm carrying today.

4. Not white - I have a fear that white headphones indicate iPod ownership. I don't want to be accosted by someone looking for something I don't own.

5. Easy on/off - People wanting to talk to you, quick listeing to subway conductor announcements, etc. necessitate this.

6. A little extra bass response - helps attenuate external noise, requires less volume for satisfying sound, and the extra bass is less obvious when "out and about". Detail is not the most important thing in this application.

Koss S/Portapro/KSCxx's are my portable favs, except for #1. Senn PX100's are open too. Ety's (and other canal phones) are awesome, except for #5. Senn PX200's need an amp.

So, I am currently using AKG K26P's. They are super-efficient, capable of sounding way-loud out of even my MDP. Plainsong's review on their sonics pretty much mirrors my experience with them so far, so all I will say is "ditto". Looking at them, no way people think I have an iPod with these. And they fold up nicely (if a bit tricky).

They weren't easy to find (Musician's Friend just got them in stock), but since they meet all of my criteria, they were worth the effort.

Mar 27, 2005 at 2:23 AM Post #22 of 36
Okay, I'm returning my PX-100 because there is too much leaking. I was outside after I bought it and were listening to it, and some people were staring at me.
Does anybody know where I can get good closed cans for less than $60 (US) in Canada?

Mar 27, 2005 at 2:29 AM Post #23 of 36
Get some PX-200's, those are good closed cans. (I had them for a while until my friend broke the lil joint thing and the right earcup won't seal and it sounds like crap, and it's annoying).

Good luck.

Mar 27, 2005 at 2:35 AM Post #24 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by djlucite
Get some PX-200's, those are good closed cans. (I had them for a while until my friend broke the lil joint thing and the right earcup won't seal and it sounds like crap, and it's annoying).

Good luck.

I want them, but I can't get them in any Canadian retail stores.(Or so I believe)
EDIT: I'm really desperate, all helps will be appreciated.

Mar 27, 2005 at 6:10 AM Post #26 of 36
Okay, I now think I'm going to get an HD 457, which is the only closed Senns that I can buy in that price range. (Besides the 437 but is the same price)
Are these good?
[Edit] nevermind this again, I thought It was closed, but is open.

Mar 28, 2005 at 12:33 AM Post #29 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nak Man
Beyer dt231. Or Senn hd25sp if you really need isolation, meaning you don't want to hear outside noise.

Me hearing outside noise is not my concern, but about the sound from the headphones leaking is a huge deal.

Mar 28, 2005 at 12:47 AM Post #30 of 36
Okay I wil be going to the Sony Store (retail) tomorrow, and what models are good?
From the site, I only can see:
MDRNC6
MDRG54LP
MDREX51LP
MDREX71SL
MDRV300
that look pretty good under my budget.
Any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back