Best Portable Headphones under $60...
Mar 25, 2005 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

PrototypeX2

500+ Head-Fier
I'm pretty sure there have been quite a few of these posts, but I need some recommendations personally.
I like bass a lot, and I want to have a comfortable and portable headphone.
Also, I don't want headphones that leaks too much.
I'm looking for ones under $60, and the one I'm closest to getting is the Sennheiser PX-200.
What would you recommend? How do the Koss compare to that?
And anybody know where I can get them cheaply through internet?
(I LIVE IN CANADA)
Thanks,

Mar 25, 2005 at 10:11 PM Post #2 of 36
Go for the PX-100's unless you're sure you wanna put up with the (slight) challenge of getting the fit/seal perfect every time. Plus, I heard the PX-100's had a clearer high-end (and the same bass as the PX-200's.)

I own the 200's, and I know it CAN be a pain to get the fit sometimes...and my friend broke the right earcup mounting thing, so it just doesn't stay sealed on my ear anymore (rendering the thing useless.) so I had to upgrade anyway.

Hope that helped.

Mar 25, 2005 at 10:30 PM Post #3 of 36
Sonicaly, is the PX200 worth the extra money compared to the 100? I have trouble deciding on which one I should buy, and am also considering Sony V-300/500 DJ's (Whichever was closest to the €60 mark)

Mar 25, 2005 at 10:49 PM Post #4 of 36
Koss 75s are leakers. Trust me, everyone else can hear them when my Karma is putting out 18/30 volume. Then again, these were fun to listen to. I just don't like clipons.

Mar 25, 2005 at 10:58 PM Post #5 of 36
If you find some used eggo's in the FS forum, I would recommend those. Although they don't have much hard-hitting bass, they are great headphones.

What about portapros? They are basically a closed version of the ksc's, and they supposedly have a lot of bass.

Mar 25, 2005 at 11:42 PM Post #6 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
What about portapros? They are basically a closed version of the ksc's, and they supposedly have a lot of bass.

I wouldn't call the portapros closed. They are great headphones for the price, though. Lots of bass. My daughter loves hers with her ipod mini. They do leak, though, but I'd still recommend them highly.

Mar 25, 2005 at 11:45 PM Post #7 of 36
MD 33, ex-51/71/81, panasonic rp-hje50

Mar 25, 2005 at 11:49 PM Post #9 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilDog
I wouldn't call the portapros closed. They are great headphones for the price, though. Lots of bass. My daughter loves hers with her ipod mini. They do leak, though, but I'd still recommend them highly.

oh wow, portapros are open. whoops. I don't know why I always thought they were closed...

Mar 26, 2005 at 12:14 AM Post #11 of 36
I'd get a pair of used Sony V6. The highs might be a bit harsh (user-dependant) but they look neat, are a industry standard and there's plenty of bass. Not as portable (size-wise) and comfortable (can get sweaty) as the PX 200 but the isolation is better and most of all better sound quality. It's foldable, too.
For a direct competitor to the PX200 you can check out the AKG 26p. Here's a review .

Mar 26, 2005 at 1:13 AM Post #12 of 36
It has to be either closed or less leaking.
I've tried the PortaPros and found them to leak too much.
And I will definitely look into the new AKG.
The Sony one seems too big to be portable.
Keep the ideas coming, including sites to buy them cheaply.
Thanks,
[Edit] How are Audio-Technica ATH-FC7? I just saw it on AudioCubes and looked good and had good reviews.

Mar 26, 2005 at 4:27 AM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus
AKG K26P. Also I heard that the px200 isnt as good as the px100. also check out headrooms website

Yeah, I heard that the sound gets muffled up because of the closed cups. But I thought they leaked too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back