Best portable amp for Koss PortaPro?
Jun 30, 2010 at 4:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Jaeden

New Head-Fier
I recently bought my first portable audio device, a Cowon S9. (Based on its sound quality)

I have some very old Ultimate Ears, I believe they are now called the SuperFi 3 Studio (IEM). They sound good, mainly in how well they reproduce transients in music. The bass is tight with lots of punch, etc. And it gets plenty loud. The only problem is I could not get them to fit right, and they constantly lose their seal or get distorted from sweat.

I plugged in the Koss PortaPro to my Cowon S9 and they were very quiet by comparison.

The main reason I went with the PortaPro is the comfort. I use these at work, where I do a lot of physical labor. Sweat and other factors just do not make IEM's a viable option for me.

I then tried listening to the PortaPro with my Onkyo TX-SR701 receiver. They suddenly came alive. It was obvious at this point that I really needed a stronger amp to drive them.

My question is, which amps should I be looking at, considering the sound quality limitations of the Koss PortaPro? There's no point in buying a $300+ amp if I can't fully appreciate it with these headphones.

I liked the iBasso D4's price and how well its rated here. But I was thinking it might be overkill for my setup?

Another thing I noticed during my research for a portable amp, some of them get good reviews but only when they perform from an external power source (AC outlet, USB connection). The battery operation seems tacked on like an additional "feature". (Isn't that the whole point to make it truly portable???) I need something that sounds great and performs well from battery power only.

Lastly I should say I consider myself an audiophile. And it seems that most of the time I disagree on what most people (non-audiophiles, I'm assuming) consider "great" sound. (The glowing reviews of the Koss PortaPro's sound quality are a good example...)  I mention this in how it would be relevant in my appreciation for a high quality amp. Also, if anyone has suggestions on better headphones around $250 (considering my limitations above), I'd love to hear it.

Jun 30, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #3 of 7
I wouldn't bother to buy a portable amp for the Portapros, I don't feel that you're going to get as meaningful an upgrade as you felt through your stereo receiver. However, do you do a lot of listening through your computer? If so, it actually would be worthwhile to buy a DAC/Amp combo to improve the source. Don't take what I said above to mean that the portable amp isn't going to improve your experience at all, but it won't be as dramatic as it was plugged into your receiver. 

Jun 30, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #4 of 7
agree with everyone is saying in that $300 is definitely better spent on new headphones.

If you want something to compliment the sound of the PortaPro, in my experience the FiiO E3 and E5 and KSC-75 and KSC35 complimented the Koss's sound signature, giving it a fuller, warmer sound. While I would hardly call these "true" amplifiers, they have a nice coloration which IMO adds to the Koss.

Jun 30, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #5 of 7
hmm, I get the part about some needing to be fed by USB, but that is because they are DAC/AMPs not just amps, only stands to reason that a portable dac/amp is only sounding really good when fed with a digital signal. you will find al manner of amps that do not need to be plugged into anything to sound great. 

this being said, I agree that new headphones is your best bet. There aree some people that actually spend a great deal of money on amplification for the KSC-75/35, I mean serious money!! I have seen them with 30 dollar cables and being used with home amps worth thousands. They do improve a great deal with proper amplification and source and are a pale imitation of themselves when only driven directly out of an ipod or similar.

I feel the fiio's only colour the sound rather than amplifying it (E3 and E5 anyway) they do not have any power to speak of and in fact since you use a cowon, I would actually be surprised if the fiio had as much power as the HP out.so I concur with the others, get yourself some better headphones that are more suited to portable use and dont require an amp to sound goood

Jul 1, 2010 at 9:49 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
I wouldn't bother to buy a portable amp for the Portapros, I don't feel that you're going to get as meaningful an upgrade as you felt through your stereo receiver. However, do you do a lot of listening through your computer? If so, it actually would be worthwhile to buy a DAC/Amp combo to improve the source. Don't take what I said above to mean that the portable amp isn't going to improve your experience at all, but it won't be as dramatic as it was plugged into your receiver. 

I do very little music listening from my computer. I really only need something to get powerful sound from a portable A/V device, while at work.

Quote:
hmm, I get the part about some needing to be fed by USB, but that is because they are DAC/AMPs not just amps, only stands to reason that a portable dac/amp is only sounding really good when fed with a digital signal. you will find al manner of amps that do not need to be plugged into anything to sound great. 

this being said, I agree that new headphones is your best bet. There aree some people that actually spend a great deal of money on amplification for the KSC-75/35, I mean serious money!! I have seen them with 30 dollar cables and being used with home amps worth thousands. They do improve a great deal with proper amplification and source and are a pale imitation of themselves when only driven directly out of an ipod or similar.

I feel the fiio's only colour the sound rather than amplifying it (E3 and E5 anyway) they do not have any power to speak of and in fact since you use a cowon, I would actually be surprised if the fiio had as much power as the HP out.so I concur with the others, get yourself some better headphones that are more suited to portable use and dont require an amp to sound goood

That's what I read about the FIO's, and another amplifier as well (iSimple?). Seems like they're just an active EQ, which I hate.

It seems everyone is in agreement that I'm better off with headphones, but as I hinted at in my original post, I'm not sure what would be good for my price range (around $250) and source (only 29mW/channel). It looks like I will have to compromise some sound quality for comfort and design. I won't use IEM's, and I can't wear large, bulky headphones. They also need to be open ended so I can hear what's going on around me.

Sep 8, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #7 of 7
The Porta-Pro and the KSC-75 are great headphones. I am listening to them through a 75ohm adapter and a Fanmusic MkII Mk2 amp and they are incredible. I also hear that the PA2V2 amp is perfect for them and I am waiting for one to arrive.

The Porta-Pro or the KSC-75 with the 75ohm adapter and one of these amps should be great for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back