Best pair of cans under $80
Jun 23, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #2 of 19

Quote:
I listen to around 80% Hip hop and 20& rock

Heya,

Do you care if it's open-air or closed-back? Using them while going out? Willing to go with IEM's or are you set on headphones? Also, what's your source music? High quality FLAC or similar lossless? Coming from a portable device like an ipod or equivalent? Or coming from a computer? Sound card? Or do you already have some kind of DAC or equivalent? Do you have a preference on style of headset? Does the pad material matter to you (cloth or plastic)?

Very best,

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #3 of 19

Quote:
Heya,

Do you care if it's open-air or closed-back? Using them while going out? Willing to go with IEM's or are you set on headphones? Also, what's your source music? High quality FLAC or similar lossless? Coming from a portable device like an ipod or equivalent? Or coming from a computer? Sound card? Or do you already have some kind of DAC or equivalent? Do you have a preference on style of headset? Does the pad material matter to you (cloth or plastic)?

Very best,

Holy crap, that's the most amount of questions I've seen in a row in a long time! 11.

In all seriousness though, those are good questions to be asking. I'm just kidding around. 
biggrin.gif

Jun 23, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #4 of 19
I was wanting closed back but if I find the right pair of opens airs then maybe. I will use them in my house and in the car mostly. Set on head phones. I have an iPod Touch 2nd Generation if thats what you mean sorry. Idk sorry i get music from itunes if that helps. (Im pretty new to headphones and sound quality). iPod and computer. No sound card. No prefferred style or material i really just want something with good bass but not overpowering. 

Jun 23, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #5 of 19

Quote:
I was wanting closed back but if I find the right pair of opens airs then maybe. I will use them in my house and in the car mostly. Set on head phones. I have an iPod Touch 2nd Generation if thats what you mean sorry. Idk sorry i get music from itunes if that helps. (Im pretty new to headphones and sound quality). iPod and computer. No sound card. No prefferred style or material i really just want something with good bass but not overpowering. 

Ok,

So a lot of your source material could be lower bit rate--you will find out pretty quickly with higher end headphones. But at the $80 price point, this may not be a big issue.

Sony XB700 ($80)
Sennheiser HD438 ($90)
Sennheiser HD280 Pros ($90)
AudioTechnia M35 ($50)
Shure SRH440 ($70)
AKG K142HD ($95)
BeyerDynamic DTX910 ($90)
Grado SR80i ($99)

Should get ya started.

Very best,

Jun 23, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #6 of 19
If you look in the FS forum, there are a couple Audio Technica ATH ES7's for sale: one in white for $65 and the black version for $70. That's a steal! They have beautiful sound (and look pretty snazzy too).

Jun 24, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #9 of 19

Quote:
I've narrowed it down to the ATH-M35's and the Shure SRH440. Which are better for Hip Hop? Thanks
darthsmile.gif

Heya,

I'd like to see the ATH-M35's frequency response, but couldn't find it.

Take a look at this:=2811&graphID[1]=1223&graphID[2]=&graphID[3]=&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Compare+Headphones] Shure 440 vs Sennheiser HD438 frequency response curve.

Comes down to price, look, comfort and of course how they sound to you. The HD438's have cloth pads. The others have that plastic stuff which will be warm and sweaty. Keep that in mind.

Very best,

Jun 24, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #13 of 19

Quote:
So i should go with the ATH-M35's for ipod use?

If you're not willing to buy the ATH-M50's, sure. I would get them from Amazon. If you don't like them, you can return them and they will give a full refund (including shipping to an extent if you have to pay shipping) regardless of why you're returning them. I did it a few times to test some headphones out that I couldn't find anywhere and that no one I knew had for me to try (and they get resold as open-box some where else for cheaper to someone else, so it's a win-win).

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back