best over ear headphones for house/electro music?
Aug 10, 2012 at 11:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

budradis1

New Head-Fier
im looking into getting my first good pair of headphones.  i was thinking beats but i have a hunch they really arent as great as people say.  anyway, i mainly listen to house/ electro music.  i love some good bass, but only if its high quality.  i dont want to pay over like $200 really, and i want these to last a long time. 

also, i like the noise cancelling feature of some headphones i've tried, but i don't care that much about it.  does the noise cancelling compromise sound quality or anything?  

tell me whatever you know, because i dont know anything.  

thanks for any ideas/thoughts!

Aug 11, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #6 of 13
Noise cancellation makes it difficult to have a nice sounding headphone. Isolation just means that there's a physical barrier between your ears and the outside world. All headphones isolate to some degree. You just want a nice "closed-back" headphone, which the M80 is.

Aug 11, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #8 of 13
I just got the Ultrasone DJ1's a few days ago dude, they're the same as the HFI-580 but with different colours and a coiled cable. They've got a reputation for being good with electronic music and I can confirm this. The bass is well defined, fast, punchy, reaches deep and there's the right amount of it in my opinion. There's not tons upon tons of it, which is good because it doesn't get in the way of the mids and treble. To describe the quantity of bass, I wouldn't say they were 'bass heavy', but more 'bass accentuated'. 

They sit around your ear, and they isolate pretty well so outside noise won't get to you. Passive noise cancelling of this nature is better than the active type the beats use, it hinders sound quality. The build quality of these will also blow the beats out of the water. 

However, if you want some headphones better for portable use, the V-Moda M80's would be a great choice.

Aug 11, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:
I just got the Ultrasone DJ1's a few days ago dude, they're the same as the HFI-580 but with different colours and a coiled cable. They've got a reputation for being good with electronic music and I can confirm this. The bass is well defined, fast, punchy, reaches deep and there's the right amount of it in my opinion. There's not tons upon tons of it, which is good because it doesn't get in the way of the mids and treble. To describe the quantity of bass, I wouldn't say they were 'bass heavy', but more 'bass accentuated'. 

Seconded.  I have the 580s.  Great headphones for your purpose.  It has more than enough to be considered a bass head's headphone.  A bit uncomfortable though.  The clamping does get to me after a while.  

Aug 11, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #11 of 13
VMODA M100 in Sept

+1 M80

+1 for Ultrasones !!! 

Cheerz!

Oct 1, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #12 of 13
seriously guys thank you!!!! went with the VMODA crossfade lp2's.  best sound possible for my music.  bass is so popping but so clean.  also, the coolest looking headphones on the market in my opinion.  chrome ear plates, all metal, crazy strong build quality. compared with my friends bose around ears and some beats, and it wasn't even close.  definitely a vmoda guy from now on. couldnt be much happier!

Oct 1, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #13 of 13
At that price range - it's definitely the Ultrasone offerings (check out the HFI models and some of the Pro models) - great pricing on Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back