Best over-ear headphone for $300
Jun 16, 2012 at 3:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

SkollsBite

New Head-Fier
I've been really into music for years but have never had a nice pair of headphones so I'm kind of ignorant to whats best. All the ones I've had previously had one ear go out after a couple of months of use, so I apparently put them through a lot of wear. I use them for at least six hours everyday, so I'm looking for durability, comfort and sound quality. As far as noise cancellation and sound leakage goes, I'm usually alone in my room so it would be nice but not necessary. My budget is $300 and I really want the best sound for my dollar. I've heard good things about Sennheiser but I wouldn't know which model to get, so please help a newb out. By the way if it helps I mostly listen to old rock and classical cello.

Jun 16, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #2 of 7
There are several good choices in the $300 range, but...most of them will need an amp and/or dac to sound their best.

For an open hp the Sennheiser is good. Consider the hd600.

For a closed hp I like the denon series. It is being d/c in somewhat of a controversial way. The d2000 is in your budget and they is a nice upgrade when you get to the d5k but it about $80 over your budget.

gL!!

Jun 16, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:
I've been really into music for years but have never had a nice pair of headphones so I'm kind of ignorant to whats best. All the ones I've had previously had one ear go out after a couple of months of use, so I apparently put them through a lot of wear. I use them for at least six hours everyday, so I'm looking for durability, comfort and sound quality. As far as noise cancellation and sound leakage goes, I'm usually alone in my room so it would be nice but not necessary. My budget is $300 and I really want the best sound for my dollar. I've heard good things about Sennheiser but I wouldn't know which model to get, so please help a newb out. By the way if it helps I mostly listen to old rock and classical cello.

Does it matter if the headphones are open or closed (I'm guessing open is the better option).
What source(s) are you plugging the headphones into?
(Computer, receiver, mp3 player, iPhone, etc)

Jun 16, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Heya,

Hrm, I'm gonna recommend AKG Q701 for you. Alternatives include a Beyer DT880, Hifiman HE-300 Rev 2, Sennheiser HD600, and Denon D2000.

Very best,

Jun 19, 2012 at 5:17 AM Post #7 of 7
I'm gonna say the HiFiMan HE-300 would be about right. They're very easy to drive and have nice punchy bass with clean mids, plus they're quite comfortable. I've had mine a while now and every time I listen to them I like them a little bit more. IMO, they're much better than the HD600s and even the 650s. The Q701s are also a good choice, though they are brighter and perform best out of a decent amp. Not sure if you want to invest money in a headphone amp as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back