Best open over-ear headphone for $250?
Dec 30, 2013 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

retskrad

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I own a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm and I would like to upgrade to open headohones because people says that they sound better. My budget is $250.

Any recomendations?

Dec 30, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #2 of 16
Musical preferences? Sound signature preference? Amplifier requirements? Fill us in :)

What do you like and dislike about the dt770? Is bass your thing? Do you prefer treble in your face or more laid-back?

Dec 30, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #3 of 16
Well, I listen to new music like David Guetta, Avicii, rap, hip hop, pop, RnB.the trebles I dont know because I only have the dt 770s as reference and the bass should be deep and reach 20hz.

I want to upgrade because I doubt a pair of closed headphones in the $250 category will give me any improvement.i like the sound of the dt 770, but I feel like I want to try out open headphones because of air coming in and soundstage. I think closed headphones makes the sounds very claustrophobic.

Listening to my half decent car speakers feels a lot more natural and I can separate the instruments.

Dec 30, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #4 of 16
What do you have driving your 770's? If you can increase your budget a little bit...I just bought some new Hifiman HE-400's for $319 shipped and they're amazing! Seperation, crisp and clear yet plenty of bass with a little EQ-ing, huge sound stage compared to many closed headphones. These are super open...but well worth it. They've done everything I've asked and then some. Great for music and gaming, and makes my faster paced metal so much more involving and entertaining.

You could try some used D2000's too...they're semi-closed, and have a pretty good sound stage and tons of bass too. I still have a pair that I just fixed, I might sell them in the future. I need to replace the pads though, as I took the pads and put them on my HE-400 for some super comfort and a slight increase in bass response.

Keep in mind though, most open headphones won't have the bass you may be used to with the 770. But amp and EQ can help with that. Good luck on your search!

Dec 30, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #5 of 16
i second the he-400 though they can be sibilant. The philips fidelio x1 is a good choice as well with a smoother treble. 

Other that those 2 and other orthodynamics, you will probably be left wanting more bass since open headphones tend to have tamer bass.

Dec 31, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #6 of 16
I just found a 5 year old used Sennheiser HD600 for 130 euros, is it worth it? People say you have to burn in headphones for thousands of hours, and 5 years should do it?

Jan 1, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #7 of 16
The HD600 are bass light and quite neutral if you dislike that kind of sound signature. The HE-400 is more bass orientated. As for burning in a headphone, there are differing opinions, but I wouldn't worry about it. 5 years will have burnt in a headphone dozens of times.

If you are looking for a headphone to compliment and use along with the dt770s, the hd600 will be a good choice, however for the genres you listen to I wouldn't recommend it, although I like them with rock. If you want an upgrade to more or less replace the dt770 the HE-400 is better.

Jan 1, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #8 of 16
The Maddog by Mr. Speakers may be just what you're after. It is still a closed hp but a pretty big leap in quality over the dt770. You'll need an amp though. 

Jan 2, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #10 of 16
  i second the he-400 though they can be sibilant. The philips fidelio x1 is a good choice as well with a smoother treble. 

Other that those 2 and other orthodynamics, you will probably be left wanting more bass since open headphones tend to have tamer bass.

Very good advice IMO.
Generally > to the OP > you'll have the more open sound you want from open headphones,
but at the expense of deep impactful bass. 

In this price range, it is hard to beat AKG Q701 assuming you have an amp good enough.

Not enough bass for the OP"s listed preferences in music.

Especially coming from the monster bottom end of the DT770's.
The Philips X1's are a better choice IMO as they produce real bass 
even though they're open headphones.

Jan 2, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #11 of 16
Hi,

I own a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm and I would like to upgrade to open headohones because people says that they sound better. My budget is $250.

Any recomendations?

WHO CARES what other people think?! Or do you wear their ears?!
tongue.gif

If you are happy with your current Beyers (which it seems you are), then stick with those.
If you REALLY want to try new headphones/open-back headphones, then you can indeed look at the recommendations already posted (i.e. X1, HE-400, etc.). Though prepare to expect lots of differences in sound...

Good luck.

Jan 2, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #12 of 16

The only problem is that both headphones are beyond his budget (even if it's by $50). You also have the HE-300, which produce very enjoyable bass and are great all rounders. You're right, though... deep bass is better served from closed dynamics at that price point. 

To the OP, unless you find the dt 770 to be lacking I would not rush an upgrade. Your best call would be to take these recommendations, find a good audio store (if possible) and try them on your own to see if it's worth spending your money right now. You're your own best judge when it comes to musical taste.

Jan 2, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #13 of 16
I just ordered Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO 250 ohm. Wise choise? The AKG Q701 is over 100$ more expensive than the beyerdynamic dt 990 pro which I bought for 200$ and the HE-400 is almost 500$ is my country so I chose the dt 990 instead..

Jan 2, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #14 of 16
  I just ordered Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO 250 ohm. Wise choise? The AKG Q701 is over 100$ more expensive than the beyerdynamic dt 990 pro which I bought for 200$ and the HE-400 is almost 500$ is my country so I chose the dt 990 instead..

The DT 990 can be considered as the open version of the DT770, except that the 990 has more punch than rumble than the 770's. If you we're expecting a widely different sound signature, you might be disapointed a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back