Best not-embarassing public headphones?
Mar 29, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #31 of 40
Well that's silly, Chelboed.  The point is about being in public and not wanting to draw unnecessary attention to myself by wearing giant cans.  There's also an element of being single and not wanting to look like a hammerhead shark in a social setting :wink:

I think I'll try a pair of IEMs for convenience and cost.  I'm overwhelmed by that thread though - wowza.  Is there any short list of IEMs with descriptions/price/recommended pairs, etc?

Mar 29, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #32 of 40

Quote:
I think I'll try a pair of IEMs for convenience and cost.  I'm overwhelmed by that thread though - wowza.  Is there any short list of IEMs with descriptions/price/recommended pairs, etc?

At the bottom of the thread is a really nice chart. You can look at the chart from the $50 point and below, and compare those. Then for a more detailed description, you can scroll up to the reviews! Amazing thread.

Mar 29, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #33 of 40
LOL...maybe you'll find a Head-Fi chick that thinks Circumaural's look "hot"! Hahahahah.

Quote:
Well that's silly, Chelboed.  The point is about being in public and not wanting to draw unnecessary attention to myself by wearing giant cans.  There's also an element of being single and not wanting to look like a hammerhead shark in a social setting :wink:

Mar 30, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #36 of 40
Denon D1100s are pretty unassuming, except for the somewhat funky arm shape. The PX200-II is a great choice; I miss mine.

LOL...maybe you'll find a Head-Fi chick that thinks Circumaural's look "hot"! Hahahahah.

While there's nothing wrong with wanting headphones that look nice, and they certainly play some sort of a minor role when I choose my phones, you know... big headphones aren't always that bad. it depends on your own style. In fact, it can be a conversation starter, and it can show you actually care about your music. I actually know girls who aren't audiophiles that think guys with big headphones look kinda coool. Match your clothing with your headphones when you can. Let them become a functional style acessory.

If I used to rock even the humongous RX700s in public with no shame or embarrassment, I'm sure anyone can deal with something smaller(which is pretty much every other headphone that aren't Jecklin Floats or K1000s) =P

As for the IEMs, check the end of the list. There is a chart detailing all the ratings and an overall rating that should help you narrow down your choices substantially. I would fully recommend the Panasonic HJE900 if it were at it's old price of 89-120, but you might be able to get a better value headphone now that they are more expensive.

Mar 30, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #37 of 40
The Denon D1100s are pretty unassuming, except for the somewhat funky arm shape. The PX200-II is a great choice; I miss mine.

While there's nothing wrong with wanting headphones that look nice, and they certainly play some sort of a minor role when I choose my phones, you know... big headphones aren't always that bad. it depends on your own style. In fact, it can be a conversation starter, and it can show you actually care about your music. I actually know girls who aren't audiophiles that think guys with big headphones look kinda coool. Match your clothing with your headphones when you can. Let them become a functional style acessory.

If I used to rock even the humongous RX700s in public with no shame or embarrassment, and even used it to positive effect, I'm sure anyone can deal with something smaller(which is pretty much every other headphone that aren't Jecklin Floats or K1000s) =P Although I have to say, when I finally bought the PX200s to replace my RX700s on the go it was a huge relief haha.

As for the IEMs, check the end of the list. There is a chart detailing all the ratings and an overall rating that should help you narrow down your choices substantially. I would fully recommend the Panasonic HJE900 if it were at it's old price of 89-120, but you might be able to get a better value headphone now that they are more expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back