Best neutral IEM for under $150
Jul 29, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #16 of 36

Quote:
At $99, you might also consider the RE-Zero. They're basically an RE0 in a prettier colour with a better balanced sound signature (slightly more bass, toned down treble, more pronounced mids). They're driven nicely straight out of a DAP too, unlike their brother. Only real annoyance is the balanced TRRS connector and adaptor you have to use, but you'll have to ask your friend how he feels about that.
FYI I haven't heard them yet, but I've got a pair slowly making their way towards me from China, and from the reviews and comments I've read they sound great for your situation.

Seems to me that the RE-Zero has a larger soundstage and more forward mids, not sure how I feel about that yet.

Jul 29, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #17 of 36
I've got RE0s and HF5s. I much prefer the HF5s. The RE0s are great, but my first set's right monitor went out after 6 months. Head-Direct gave me a replacement, and their customer service was pretty good. Since I wasn't sure how long the replacement set would last, I got a set of HF5s since I figured they'd last longer, and I wanted to try some Etys. Comparing the two, the RE0's mids are a bit forward, and the imaging is slightly worse than the HF5s when unamped. Amped, it's much closer. The main reason I stuck with the HF5s is because their speed is much better (mainly for heavy metal) and I find them to be more neutral. Their bass quality is a bit better as well, but the RE0s have better impact. Soundstage is average or so with both, but add crossfeed (I use it with my Rockboxed 5.5G iPod), and it's divine (IMO anyway).

I have not heard the RE-Zeros or DBA-02s, so I can't comment on them.

Jul 29, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #19 of 36

Quote:
RE252, used.

SA6, with EQing

What do you mean by SA6 with EQing?  I'm sure there will be some digital tweaks, but doesn't the main feature work better?

The RE252s look great, but I want a warranty for him because I can't guarantee how careful he will be.

Jul 30, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #21 of 36

For $75 the Ety MC5 is pretty nice. Classic Ety sound (with a bit more bass), obviously excellent isolation, and various people around here have said it's as good as or better than the HF5. I'm a fan.

Jul 30, 2010 at 12:53 PM Post #22 of 36

Quote:

For $75 the Ety MC5 is pretty nice. Classic Ety sound (with a bit more bass), obviously excellent isolation, and various people around here have said it's as good as or better than the HF5. I'm a fan.

I liked the RE0 better than the MC5. In fact, I liked the RE0 better than the ER-6i. I think I liked the ER-4P better than the RE0, but I think it was a matter of taste between the two.

Jul 30, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #24 of 36
By EQing I mean you take a software EQ and fix the response to flat.  The driver used in them responds well to EQing, and it fills out and balanced out nicely.  The treble filters and bass ports (basically changing enclosure from small to medium, to apreodic, or infinite baffle if you feel like keeping it off completely.  For a single BA, the mid-treble emphasis is normal.  Single BA earphones really don't have the capability to naturally cover the entire spectrum completely.  However, the SA6 does respond well to EQing, and you can get the bass up and extended quite well.  The top end treble is not jagged like some, but it is smooth and tends to come across a little laid back.  It's a good earphone as is.  It's a better earphone EQed.

I suggest the RE252 as it is pretty much one of the best "monitor" type earphones I've used.  The frequency response is very linear (geared a hair bright) and the quality of sound is very high.  It is very sensitive to the quality of the input music, so a clean player and high bitrate music is important.  The only other earphone I've used that scales as much with the quality of music is the UM3X which is specifically built as a monitor earphone.  The RE252 is $200 new, but it's gone commonly for around $140 in the for sale section on the forum.

As for very, very high quality sound, the CK10 has been a decently long standing king of micro detail and high accuracy.  It also has a very life-like realistic sound which is actually somewhat odd for earphones.  Most products tend to color or present in a kind of indirect way.  Very few products out there provide this "real" kind of sound.  The CK10 does it,   The SE530 does it.  That's about all I've used in terms of IEMs that were capable of that life-like level of presentation.

I also know the DBA-02 has been gaining popularity, and reviews are extremely positive to say the least.  This is another one of those high level products like the CK10 that offer a whole heck of a lot.  I have yet to listen to a pair, so I can't comment directly.  There are a few review threads out there for them though, and they are all incredibly positive.  For the price, they are quite the buy too.

Jul 30, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #25 of 36
I can vouch for the DBAs, but no secret there. I have the Re-Zeros, too, and they are very close to the DBAs (and cheaper), but the DBAs just have an added something, can't say what, that makes listening a little more enjoyable, a fun factor? Not sure. I will say that if you get the RE-Zeros, give them 200 hours of burn-in before judging them. I thought they were a little shrill out of the box and for awhile, then I put them on for some serious run-in, and they are no longer shrill, but a little more mid-foward than the DBAs. I like them both, very much.

I also had the MC5s, but gave them to our nephew, a budding headphone junkie. My third "gateway" giveaway to him (modded Ksc75 and RE2). I felt the Etys are a steal at $79, with the right tips (I used either customs or Comply T140s). To me, the Etys and the Zeros were very, very close. I gave away the Etys because they have a two-year warranty and don't require that dongle thing (the RE-Zeros aer balanced IEMs).

Never heard nor owned the RE-0.

Jul 30, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #26 of 36
I'm just ordered the DBA-02's and returning my RE-0 to Head-Direct for a refund.. I may post a impression up later.

Jul 30, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #28 of 36
They may or may not actually refund.  I know when I got the RE0 way back when they first came out, I returned them within the trial period and got store credit.  I ended up spending a bit more and grabbing the OK1 buds.  I don't recall if that was my only option or if there was a fee if I didn't.  If you get a full refund, fine.  If you don't, I might suggest paying a little extra and grabbing the RE252.  The RE252 has a number of counterpoints to the RE0 to if the RE0 wasn't your thing the RE252 might.  I'm just tossing out the suggestion depending on how their return policy is set up.  It's been a couple years, so I really don't remember.  The DBA-02 is of course a smart buy too and excellently priced.

I may also suggest you look into a more robust amp option.  The E7 is a nice upgrade from the E3 and E5, but it really isn't a power increase.  For something like the RE0 and some of the other nice earphones out there, more wattage is desirable.  A good suggestion is Practical Devices XM5 which has excellent internals and has a slew of extra features like bass and treble boost, variable crossfade, and 75ohm patch through for some of the more sensitive and easy to drive earphones.  I know we talk headphones here a lot, but a solid amp is just as important for getting high quality sound.  An amp with a built in DAC just takes it further by offering a solid source device for less than stellar players, i.e. cheap laptop audio.  It's just something to think about along with searching for the perfect earphone.  It's a product you'll buy once, and it will provide a rock solid bass for everything you attach to it.

Good note on the ER4.  Frankly, I like to suggest just about everyone own a ER4S at least once in their head-fi hobby.  It's a true reference product that really does show what good audio is.  While there are slew of new products out there that are absolutely amazing, this +15 year old product still hangs well and offers a truly reference level presentation.  To buy and keep one over a number of other products may be tough, but it's a product people should at least try and be familiar with.  It's just a really good reference piece and a measuring stick against a lot of what's out there.  P.S. the ER4S is one of those earphones that really needs a robust amp.  Something like the FiiO just doesn't quite push it to 100%.  By the time you get above mid volume levels, there are hints it wants more.  Other earphones like the IE8 will happily use a lot of wattage if you've got it even though it's ohm load isn't bad and its sensitivity is pretty high.  It's just that certain products will happily take a lot of power, and it's nice to have that power on tap...as well as a noise free, high quality source (DAC).

Jul 30, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #29 of 36

Quote:
They may or may not actually refund.  I know when I got the RE0 way back when they first came out, I returned them within the trial period and got store credit.  I ended up spending a bit more and grabbing the OK1 buds.  I don't recall if that was my only option or if there was a fee if I didn't.  If you get a full refund, fine.  If you don't, I might suggest paying a little extra and grabbing the RE252.  The RE252 has a number of counterpoints to the RE0 to if the RE0 wasn't your thing the RE252 might.  I'm just tossing out the suggestion depending on how their return policy is set up.  It's been a couple years, so I really don't remember.  The DBA-02 is of course a smart buy too and excellently priced.

I may also suggest you look into a more robust amp option.  The E7 is a nice upgrade from the E3 and E5, but it really isn't a power increase.  For something like the RE0 and some of the other nice earphones out there, more wattage is desirable.  A good suggestion is Practical Devices XM5 which has excellent internals and has a slew of extra features like bass and treble boost, variable crossfade, and 75ohm patch through for some of the more sensitive and easy to drive earphones.  I know we talk headphones here a lot, but a solid amp is just as important for getting high quality sound.  An amp with a built in DAC just takes it further by offering a solid source device for less than stellar players, i.e. cheap laptop audio.  It's just something to think about along with searching for the perfect earphone.  It's a product you'll buy once, and it will provide a rock solid bass for everything you attach to it.

Well.. I really hope it's a full refund.... I was actually thinking of the RE252 but I keep hearing bad things about comfort/fitting. =\

Oh and on AMP/DACS I plan on upgrading later this year or next don't you worry about that.

Jul 30, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #30 of 36
I think the DBA-02 is a good buy and imo a better buy than the RE-Zero as a gift option. An additional adapter which is most likely the case with the RE-Zero may not be welcomed while the DBA-02 don't have that problem. They also offer better isolation and better cables (although their chin slider is pretty useless). For a gift I would get the DBA-02 for neutrality unless you know your friend doesn't mind an additional adapter or even the RE0 if your friend has a good source or additional power to feed them into.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back