Best Isolating (Full-Size) Headphones?
Apr 14, 2011 at 6:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

pipot

New Head-Fier
As we all know, regardless of how awesome a pair of headphones, certain social situations require a headphone where the people next to you (family members, small children etc.) can't hear what's playing.

For example, I've a pair of Denon AH-D5000s, which I love, but can't really take them anywhere for fear of having people on the other side of the road commenting on my taste in music.

So: Are there any recommendations or strong opinions out there as to a good, full-size, isolating (so that no-one else can hear my music) headphone for out and about?

(ps. My previous favourite in the category was... the Bose Triport - its being SO quiet for everyone else around made it (in my estimation) a very good and useful headphone despite any other percieved shortcomings.)

Apr 14, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #2 of 17
Full size:
Audio Technica M50, Sennheiser HD280 Pro

On-ear:
Sennheiser HD-25

Apr 14, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #3 of 17
M50s, eh? Can you believe: they're $115 on Amazon.com (which I use as a benchmark) and £125 on Amazon.co.uk (which I'd have to buy from). That makes them about 1.8x more expensive over here - so annoying, I think I may not buy them because of that (sour grapes, I know, but I've had enough of paying so much more when not all companies have such significant price differentials.)

And is it just me, or do the HD-280s look absolutely hideous?? Maybe the Amazon product shots don't do them justice?

Someone's going to have to stop me - I'm leaning towards some Bose AE2s... It's like watching a horrid crash in slow motion...

Apr 14, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #4 of 17
Actually, no I'm not - scratch that.

I'm actually leaning towards a pair of Bose AE1s (that's right, the original Triport model).

People always slate them for being overpriced - here in the UK, I can pick up a new pair of AE1s for about £80 - that's 2/3rds of the price of the M50s. And the new AE2s cost the same as the M50s.

Maybe that's why Bose products seem over-priced in the US? Maybe they're closer to parity here in Europe (for example)?

Apr 15, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #5 of 17
I should say that Bose AE2 is not too bad. Actually, it's pretty good. Once I owned denon 1100 and Bose ae2 at the same time. As for SQ-wise, I should take denon 1100 over AE2. But, I wouldn't say Bose AE2 is nowhere near the Denon1100. Plus, it's extremely comfortable.

So, I think either Bose AE2 or Denon 1100 can be one of good options. Oh, I forgot to mention the one that I'm using for my outdoor can. Phiaton ms400 is also pretty good: Fashionable, very portable, fairly comfortable. SQ is also good enough.

Apr 20, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #8 of 17
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

Still trying to decide - rip-off UK prices vs. inferior sound quality...

Wish there was a ranking of full-size headphones by isolation - I find it a far more important factor than cable length or whether or not they come with a carrying pouch
wink_face.gif

Apr 20, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #10 of 17

Quote:
M50s, eh? Can you believe: they're $115 on Amazon.com (which I use as a benchmark) and £125 on Amazon.co.uk (which I'd have to buy from). That makes them about 1.8x more expensive over here - so annoying, I think I may not buy them because of that (sour grapes, I know, but I've had enough of paying so much more when not all companies have such significant price differentials.)

And is it just me, or do the HD-280s look absolutely hideous?? Maybe the Amazon product shots don't do them justice?

Someone's going to have to stop me - I'm leaning towards some Bose AE2s... It's like watching a horrid crash in slow motion...

Don't feel too bad. The cheapest price I can find for the m50's here in Sweden is 250$...

Apr 20, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #11 of 17
Hm, you could also check out the ATH-A700, though they don't seem to be of particularly high profile here.  A really old review on the site here said that they isolate sound pretty well from others sitting around you.  And they certainly aren't ugly, at least I don't think so. :p

Apr 20, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #12 of 17
Too right about M50 overpriced in UK.  Grado and Beyer as well.  You *might* be able to get yourself a Ultrasone DJ1 for £80 on lookat if you ring them.  Total isolation.

Apr 21, 2011 at 7:24 AM Post #14 of 17
IMO, the M50s ARE good as an isolation can. It's better than the HFI 580s, and can easily snuff out train noises at a pretty moderate volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back