Best in-ear earphones for rock and classical music, around $150
Jun 17, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #16 of 26
Quote:
Between the DBA-02 and the B2, is there one better than the other ? Also, do they have good build quality ? I saw the promo, $109 instead of $169, that could be a great time to buy them.

If I go into the higher category, would the earsonic SM2 v2 be the best choice for the music I listen to ?

They have excellent build quality. The cord can become a nuisance after awhile by becoming uncoiled but that hasn't been an issue for me personally. Yeah, I think that $109 promo ends before the end of this month. I've never personally heard the SM2 v2, but I do know they have a very similar signature. I've actually heard they have less boom in the bass and are much more colored on the highs, which could work out better for rock but when you're dealing with a less boom already, they may not suit you if you're worried about losing out on the bass. On top of that, I've read that the SM2 v2 aren't a great value at that price point, and I can't imagine them being worth that big a gap more than the B2.

Neither the B2 or DBA-02 are better. They are the exact same, but you can get the B2 for a bit cheaper and it might be easier to deal with Brainwavz support if you ever need to than Fischer Audio's support. 

Jun 17, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #17 of 26
Here are the prices I was able to find for the different earphones advised for my case :

Earsonic SM2 v2 : 279 euros
Etymotic ER-4P : 247 euros
Fischer Audio DBA-02 MkII : 158 euros
Yamaha EPH-100 : 129 euros
Brainwavz B2 : 87 euros
Etymotic HF5 : 79 euros
Klipsch Image S4 : 57 euros
Brainwavz M4 : 55 euros
Philips SHE3580 : 21 euros

I couldn't find the FXT90 and Vsonic GR07 or GR06.

In the end, I think I'll go with the HF5 for rock (great isolation in public transportation), the B2 for classical music (to be used at home or at the office), and the SHE3580 as a family backup (for me or my wife when our earphones die on us).

That's 187 euros for 3 pair of earphones, and that should help me understand the different sound signatures before going into the higher end earphones. I don't feel like I'm ready to put 250 euros in a pair of earphones without knowing my taste as far as sound signature and things like that.

Like I said, I can only give you the music I like to listen to. If you feel like this is not a good stategy and that I'd be better of taking an higher end model right now such as the Ety ER-4P, Westone 3 or 4 or things like that, please let me know :p

I'd like to make my purchases tonight if possible.

Jun 17, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #18 of 26
Quote:
Here are the prices I was able to find for the different earphones advised for my case :

Earsonic SM2 v2 : 279 euros
Etymotic ER-4P : 247 euros
Fischer Audio DBA-02 MkII : 158 euros
Yamaha EPH-100 : 129 euros
Brainwavz B2 : 87 euros
Etymotic HF5 : 79 euros
Klipsch Image S4 : 57 euros
Brainwavz M4 : 55 euros
Philips SHE3580 : 21 euros

I couldn't find the FXT90 and Vsonic GR07 or GR06.

In the end, I think I'll go with the HF5 for rock (great isolation in public transportation), the B2 for classical music (to be used at home or at the office), and the SHE3580 as a family backup (for me or my wife when our earphones die on us).

That's 187 euros for 3 pair of earphones, and that should help me understand the different sound signatures before going into the higher end earphones. I don't feel like I'm ready to put 250 euros in a pair of earphones without knowing my taste as far as sound signature and things like that.

Like I said, I can only give you the music I like to listen to. If you feel like this is not a good stategy and that I'd be better of taking an higher end model right now such as the Ety ER-4P, Westone 3 or 4 or things like that, please let me know :p

I'd like to make my purchases tonight if possible.

I don't think you'd be better off going with a higher end model. The Etymotic ER-4 is as solid as a non-custom IEM gets, but you're looking for combos to cover your genre base and something like the HF5 and the B2 are a great pair. Their signatures are somewhat similar though, but then again, the HF5 do sound better with vocals and things of that nature, making the B2 an excellent supplement for classic. The more I look at the Earsonic, the more I'm convinced that they're overpriced. 

The B2 are on preorder right now, so if you buy now it will still be a bit before they get there, but they say they'll ship by the end of this month.

I noticed the Brainwavz M4 is on your list - those could be a backup you pickup in the future as they go on sale A LOT. My current pair of M4 I picked up for $24 on sale just a couple weeks ago. 

Jun 17, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #19 of 26
What would be a great rock earphones, with a V signature, around $120 ?

Also, what would be the best earphones with a neutral signature for classical music, around $120 ?

I'd like to get two pairs of earphones, and I want to make sure I get the best combo. Isolation and build quality are must-have.

Jun 18, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #20 of 26
Neutral: can't go wrong with an ety hf5
v-shaped: you sure you want that for rock (which already tend to have a v-shaped frequency spectrum)? Anyway, the Philips SHE3580 are one of the best v-shaped phones I've heard at any price :D So be sure to grab a pair of those along with whatever you decide to get in the end for thos category.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 18, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #22 of 26
I've been advsied by many to take ony one pair of earphones, in the higher end model.

Since rock is my favorite music, I've been told to buy the Westone UM3-x that many consider to be the best rock in-ear available. Do you agree with that assessment in the $300-$350 price range ?

Jun 18, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #24 of 26
Quote:
I've been advsied by many to take ony one pair of earphones, in the higher end model.

Since rock is my favorite music, I've been told to buy the Westone UM3-x that many consider to be the best rock in-ear available. Do you agree with that assessment in the $300-$350 price range ?

I too am a huge rock fan (80s hard rock to be specific), and in the market for a new IEM.
After doing a lot of research, I think the Westone UM3X would suit me best.
I've been using the Audeo PFE 112s for the last 3 years.
They sound great, however the PFE line is extremely fragile.

I've heard the UM3X is very durable, and geared towards rock fans like me.

I plan to buy them soon, just waiting for another 20% off sale at Earphone Solutions.
After 20% off, the UM3X can be had for $304.

Can anyone out there recommend an earphone BETTER than the UM3X for rock fans like us?

Milan

Jun 18, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #25 of 26
I think I'll go with the Yamaha EPH-100. For rock, isolation and build quality, I couldn't find a better quality / price ratio. Do you agree, or would you have any better recommendation before I make my purchase ?

Jun 18, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #26 of 26
I think I'll go with the Yamaha EPH-100. For rock, isolation and build quality, I couldn't find a better quality / price ratio. Do you agree, or would you have any better recommendation before I make my purchase ?

Congrats...

Let us know how they turn out for you.

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back