Best IEM tips?
Nov 12, 2019 at 12:14 AM Post #646 of 3,274
Speaking about the long stem versions. The black are slightly stiffer than the white. Customer service told me the black are truer to sound but I don't hear any significant difference between the 2. The designs are identical, just a different Silicon durometer (stiffness). These tips are fairly unique in how much they physically extend from the nozzle. They also run big on the largest size which is a big plus for me.

Depending on the angle of fit, sometimes the light can provide some extra compliance for comfort yet sometimes you want something stiffer for better support. The difference in stiffness is not huge but it can be felt over time while wearing the IEMs. I just wish they weren't so expensive!

Thanks so much - think will go for the light version as the canals can get quite sensitive (even with something like Spiral Dots). For the 64 Audio IEMS would you recommend the normal "long stem" version?

Nov 18, 2019 at 8:43 PM Post #647 of 3,274
Thanks so much - think will go for the light version as the canals can get quite sensitive (even with something like Spiral Dots). For the 64 Audio IEMS would you recommend the normal "long stem" version?

I only have the longer stem version. I'm not sure what normal is. I think they have two nozzle lengths in 2 different plastic durometers per length. I have the longer nozzle in both durometers. Can't comment on the shorter nozzle lengths but I did look to pick themup on Amazon and they aren't available yet.

The longer stems work wonders for me on CIEMs with short nozzles over bullet type IEMs. Due to less restriction of the body on bullet type IEMs, I tend to use other tips than Azna Sedna EarFits. With stuff that's just designed oddly like the BLON BL-03, the longer nozzle tips are awesome! Originally I became a fan because they come in larger diameters but I think they are VERY unique in the longer nozzle offering. I don't know if any other tips with this design. I'd still be interested in the shorter nozzles because I like the large diameter of the largest size.

Nov 18, 2019 at 8:58 PM Post #648 of 3,274
So I was thinking of ordering the Azna Sedna, but I’m confused now.

I thought there was just a “regular” and “light” version, where the light version was (I believe) a little thinner/softer material. I’m assuming it’s soft kind of like the Sony Hybrid tips?

But now people are talking about long and short stem versions?

Basically, I need the model with the longest stem, like how the SpinFit CP100 have the really long stem that sticks out the bottom to improve the insertion fit of earphones with stubby nozzles.

So what do I need to look out for? Light version? Regular version? Clear? Black?

Would someone briefly breaking down the options?

I saw the size specs, and I’m used to size M KZ Starlines, which are 12mm. From the Azna size chart, it seems MS is 11.9mm and M is 12.6mm. So I guess that, compared to the Starlines, my choices are a little loose (MS) or a little tight (M) and that I should order MS?

Also, I’ll be ordering them from Amazon US. That seems to be the easiest and cheapest way to get them in the US. Is there a better/cheaper place to order them? I could care less about Prime and 2 day shipping, so if there’s a better place than Amazon I’m totally fine with it.

Thanks for the assistance :)

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2019 at 9:18 PM Post #649 of 3,274

I thought there was just a “regular” and “light” version, where the light version was (I believe) a little thinner/softer material. I’m assuming it’s soft kind of like the Sony Hybrid tips?

Basically, I need the model with the longest stem, like how the SpinFit CP100 have the really long stem that sticks out the bottom to improve the insertion fit of earphones with stubby nozzles.

So what do I need to look out for? Light version? Regular version? Clear? Black?

I saw the size specs, and I’m used to size M KZ Starlines, which are 12mm. From the Azna size chart, it seems MS is 11.9mm and M is 12.6mm. So I guess that, compared to the Starlines, my choices are a little loose (MS) or a little tight (M) and that I should order MS?

Also, I’ll be ordering them from Amazon US. That seems to be the easiest and cheapest way to get them in the US. Is there a better/cheaper place to order them? I could care less about Prime and 2 day shipping, so if there’s a better place than Amazon I’m totally fine with it.

I believe the US Amazon ones are the long stem versions. I have a both the light and dark versions from US Amazon. Regarding sizes, I have M and ML versions. The medium size are larger than the typical medium size of tips, KZ, Sony hybrid, JVC etc. If you need it I can post some pics. tomorrow. I would probably go for medium, since I believe the slightly larger fit would be better than the looser fit, and since the tips are very comfortable. Optimal seal should be your priority.

Nov 18, 2019 at 9:32 PM Post #650 of 3,274

I have the long stem version and its ok on all my iems its just a millimeter longer then a normal tip

Nov 18, 2019 at 9:52 PM Post #652 of 3,274

I asked some similar question on Blon thread some weeks ago and @DynamicEars summed it up: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/blon-in-ear-monitors-impressions-thread.916702/page-46#post-15287699

I've got mine from Amazon US, on the Amazon.jp the sedna is a bit cheaper but sending it to Utah the difference was about $1. Also, I guess buying off Amazon US you can return it if it doesn't fit for you.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2019 at 10:21 PM Post #653 of 3,274
The US Amazon selling version the stem is 10 mm. So that must be the long version?
Yes thats how long they stick out
20191118_184032.jpg
20191119_042052.jpg

Nov 23, 2019 at 2:06 AM Post #654 of 3,274

I think everyone answered your questions. The black silicone is stiffer than the light and the light is stiffer than Spiral Dot tips. The silicone seems the same on both the dark and light tips and the difference is really the durometer or stiffness. The Amazon US site only sells the longer nozzles.

Nov 28, 2019 at 3:22 AM Post #655 of 3,274
I thought I'd share my own modding details for those who might be interested.

I love the Shure triple flange tips - other triple flange tips are too soft (Mee Pinnacle) while the remaining multi-flanged tips are RHA (bi-flange) or Spin Fit (bi-flange). These either don't get a great seal for me (RHA) or are a bit stiff and hurt my ears (Spin Fit), while other tips (foamies, single flange etc,) just do not work for my ear canal, so I've been trying to figure out a way to get the Shure triple flange tips to work. I was able to stretch the stalk over the bore of my U18t, but it's a hassle and, more worryingly, once on, it seems to shut down the sound and ends up creating a very boomy sound signature - I think the sound is being channeled through a narrow bore and getting mixed up and incoherent, I'm sure there's a scientific explanation but whatever happens, it sounds a bit muffled so I needed to widen it somehow. (By the way, I'm pretty sure this would work with Etymotic tips, but I don't have any to test it on.)

My original idea was to insert a soldering iron tip into the bore, but it ended up being a bit too hot. It either melted the core or it warped the tips
I gave up for a while, but after a couple of weeks I began to wonder if there was another way. So this morning, I grabbed a new pair of tips and tried this:

Firstly - cut the stalk to a length you need. I usually cut it to within 2mm of the line of the bottom (base) flange.

Next - grab a solid rod that's a mm or 2 wider than the current hole. A tapering point works best. I used a couple of soldering tips for this - the one on the right I used for the bore of the stalk (it's narrower and therefore grips the IEM core a lot better) and I used the one on the right for the end from which the sound is emitted. (Example pics in the three pics below)

For each insertion, boil some hot water and place the tips while they're stretched out over whatever object you're able to find to perform this process into a small glass or dish and pour the hot water over it. Leave it for 30-60 seconds, then remove and pour cold water over it. You can then remove the tip from the metal rod and perform the same steps again for the other side (once for the stalk side, once for the audio out side)

Once you've done all four holes, you should be able to slip these over a pair of 64 Audio bore holes. I haven't tried this for my Solaris, but it should work just fine

Here are the results - alone and next to a standard tip which I have on my SE846.

Works wonderfully and it's really opened the sound back up to perform as well as (or better than, in my opinion) the stock tips, which I don't like because they keep falling out.

Anyway, hope this is of some use - I might have very odd shaped canals and therefore nobody else will need this, but if it helps just one person then that was worth my time posting this, I guess. :)

Many thanks to @doctorjuggles for this protip!

I used to own SE535 and ER4XR and had a few pairs of triple flanges hanging around (I have a pair of Ety earplugs for driving, they use the same tips). I used a leather awl to stretch out the tips. Unfortunately the Shure tips split at the stem, the compound is more flexible and prone to fracture; I overstretched them too quickly. They are a great fit on my Empire Ears universals, though. I'll get some more and try again.

The Etymotic tips are made of a stiffer, less flexible compound and took graduated dilatation to fit onto my BQEYZ K2 (5.5mm nozzle). I dilated the nozzle first, then flipped round to do the stem. Nice fit, same sound as Spinfit CP240 but more comfortable. I have had limited success adding a foam insert to the base flange, it always seems to come away whilst inserting onto the IEM. I call these tips.....wait for it....Symbiotics! I have done the same to the CP240s, slightly improved bass but maybe just me.

The Etys also slowly return to base diameter so have required additional stretching to get back on the BQEYZ. I haven't been able to dilate the entire core so there is a degree of stenosis from stem to tip. Less of a problem with the Empires.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

Dec 7, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #658 of 3,274
The best IEM tips are the ones you discover fit your unique ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back