Best IEM tips?
Sep 10, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #616 of 3,229
After putting cored shure olives in Final E tips, slipping on an adapter to go on the etymotics, I achieved the best fit and isolation. Unfortunately it was semi permanent with the amount of suction it created. If there are any tip makers watching this thread, make some tips with pull tabs that would break the vacuum and allow easy removal

Sep 10, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #617 of 3,229
After putting cored shure olives in Final E tips, slipping on an adapter to go on the etymotics, I achieved the best fit and isolation. Unfortunately it was semi permanent with the amount of suction it created. If there are any tip makers watching this thread, make some tips with pull tabs that would break the vacuum and allow easy removal

if you dare to try, pinch very small hole with needle on inner neck of your eartips, if not enough, poke 2 holes, near the edge, must be above iem nozzle. It will eliminate "vacuum effect". I did this to my sony IER M7 eartips, and it worked well.
And sound wont change

Sep 10, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #618 of 3,229
if you dare to try, pinch very small hole with needle on inner neck of your eartips, if not enough, poke 2 holes, near the edge, must be above iem nozzle. It will eliminate "vacuum effect". I did this to my sony IER M7 eartips, and it worked well.
And sound wont change
If you are breaking the vacuum at all times, then you are breaking the seal. Maybe it worked in a way where the pressure is keeping the hole sealed until you pull on the earphone.

Sep 10, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #619 of 3,229
If you are breaking the vacuum at all times, then you are breaking the seal. Maybe it worked in a way where the pressure is keeping the hole sealed until you pull on the earphone.

At first i was thinking that logic, and it is the logic, but the hole will be very small and voila i still got my ear fully sealed with all that rattling sub bass. It just let the pressure out from that tiny hole, but seal, and sound wont change. I've done that, and not just me. just give it a try

Sep 11, 2019 at 8:09 PM Post #622 of 3,229
Strange discovery, if you pour boiling water on shure olives and let them sit for a minute they turn into a different foam. I was trying to extract a clean core from 1yr old wrinkly pairs, they turned shiny black like new but they don't have any memory and spring just back up.

Sep 11, 2019 at 8:15 PM Post #623 of 3,229
Strange discovery, if you pour boiling water on shure olives and let them sit for a minute they turn into a different foam. I was trying to extract a clean core from 1yr old wrinkly pairs, they turned shiny black like new but they don't have any memory and spring just back up.

I cleaned mine in warm to hot water with mild soap and they were that way at first. After squeezing the water out and drying for a day they went back to normal.

Perhaps boiling is hot enough to eliminate the memory.

Sep 17, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #624 of 3,229
Where can i find somthing like mh 755 stock tips ?

Sep 17, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #625 of 3,229
Where can i find somthing like mh 755 stock tips ?

on ebay, buy MH755.. :ksc75smile:

they dont sold separately, closest you can get is final audio E eartips, or cheaper knock off search for poyatu eartips on ali but they a little bit different

Sep 17, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #626 of 3,229
on ebay, buy MH755.. :ksc75smile:

they dont sold separately, closest you can get is final audio E eartips, or cheaper knock off search for poyatu eartips on ali but they a little bit different
Yeah i got today one pair of mh755. Iam confused now they are to good

Sep 21, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #627 of 3,229
I thought I'd share my own modding details for those who might be interested.

I love the Shure triple flange tips - other triple flange tips are too soft (Mee Pinnacle) while the remaining multi-flanged tips are RHA (bi-flange) or Spin Fit (bi-flange). These either don't get a great seal for me (RHA) or are a bit stiff and hurt my ears (Spin Fit), while other tips (foamies, single flange etc,) just do not work for my ear canal, so I've been trying to figure out a way to get the Shure triple flange tips to work. I was able to stretch the stalk over the bore of my U18t, but it's a hassle and, more worryingly, once on, it seems to shut down the sound and ends up creating a very boomy sound signature - I think the sound is being channeled through a narrow bore and getting mixed up and incoherent, I'm sure there's a scientific explanation but whatever happens, it sounds a bit muffled so I needed to widen it somehow. (By the way, I'm pretty sure this would work with Etymotic tips, but I don't have any to test it on.)

My original idea was to insert a soldering iron tip into the bore, but it ended up being a bit too hot. It either melted the core or it warped the tips
I gave up for a while, but after a couple of weeks I began to wonder if there was another way. So this morning, I grabbed a new pair of tips and tried this:

Firstly - cut the stalk to a length you need. I usually cut it to within 2mm of the line of the bottom (base) flange.

Next - grab a solid rod that's a mm or 2 wider than the current hole. A tapering point works best. I used a couple of soldering tips for this - the one on the right I used for the bore of the stalk (it's narrower and therefore grips the IEM core a lot better) and I used the one on the right for the end from which the sound is emitted. (Example pics in the three pics below)

W57A5224.jpg

W57A5226.jpg

W57A5227.jpg

For each insertion, boil some hot water and place the tips while they're stretched out over whatever object you're able to find to perform this process into a small glass or dish and pour the hot water over it. Leave it for 30-60 seconds, then remove and pour cold water over it. You can then remove the tip from the metal rod and perform the same steps again for the other side (once for the stalk side, once for the audio out side)

Once you've done all four holes, you should be able to slip these over a pair of 64 Audio bore holes. I haven't tried this for my Solaris, but it should work just fine

Here are the results - alone and next to a standard tip which I have on my SE846.

W57A5220.jpg

W57A5221.jpg

Works wonderfully and it's really opened the sound back up to perform as well as (or better than, in my opinion) the stock tips, which I don't like because they keep falling out.

Anyway, hope this is of some use - I might have very odd shaped canals and therefore nobody else will need this, but if it helps just one person then that was worth my time posting this, I guess. :)

Sep 21, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #628 of 3,229
I thought I'd share my own modding details for those who might be interested.

I love the Shure triple flange tips - other triple flange tips are too soft (Mee Pinnacle) while the remaining multi-flanged tips are RHA (bi-flange) or Spin Fit (bi-flange). These either don't get a great seal for me (RHA) or are a bit stiff and hurt my ears (Spin Fit), while other tips (foamies, single flange etc,) just do not work for my ear canal, so I've been trying to figure out a way to get the Shure triple flange tips to work. I was able to stretch the stalk over the bore of my U18t, but it's a hassle and, more worryingly, once on, it seems to shut down the sound and ends up creating a very boomy sound signature - I think the sound is being channeled through a narrow bore and getting mixed up and incoherent, I'm sure there's a scientific explanation but whatever happens, it sounds a bit muffled so I needed to widen it somehow. (By the way, I'm pretty sure this would work with Etymotic tips, but I don't have any to test it on.)

My original idea was to insert a soldering iron tip into the bore, but it ended up being a bit too hot. It either melted the core or it warped the tips
I gave up for a while, but after a couple of weeks I began to wonder if there was another way. So this morning, I grabbed a new pair of tips and tried this:

Firstly - cut the stalk to a length you need. I usually cut it to within 2mm of the line of the bottom (base) flange.

Next - grab a solid rod that's a mm or 2 wider than the current hole. A tapering point works best. I used a couple of soldering tips for this - the one on the right I used for the bore of the stalk (it's narrower and therefore grips the IEM core a lot better) and I used the one on the right for the end from which the sound is emitted. (Example pics in the three pics below)

For each insertion, boil some hot water and place the tips while they're stretched out over whatever object you're able to find to perform this process into a small glass or dish and pour the hot water over it. Leave it for 30-60 seconds, then remove and pour cold water over it. You can then remove the tip from the metal rod and perform the same steps again for the other side (once for the stalk side, once for the audio out side)

Once you've done all four holes, you should be able to slip these over a pair of 64 Audio bore holes. I haven't tried this for my Solaris, but it should work just fine

Here are the results - alone and next to a standard tip which I have on my SE846.

Works wonderfully and it's really opened the sound back up to perform as well as (or better than, in my opinion) the stock tips, which I don't like because they keep falling out.

Anyway, hope this is of some use - I might have very odd shaped canals and therefore nobody else will need this, but if it helps just one person then that was worth my time posting this, I guess. :)

Great idea. Nice job

Sep 26, 2019 at 1:56 AM Post #630 of 3,229
Just got medium sony triple comforts.

Size/shape comparison pics:

From left to right:
Sony Hybrid (S) 10.5-11mm
Sony Triple Comfort (S) 11mm
Sony MH755 tip (S) 11mm
JVC Spiral Dot (MS) 11mm
Radioshack Auvio (S) 11.5mm
Sony Triple Comfort (M) 12.5mm

Thanks for the pictures. I got some Sony Triple Comfort (S) tips and put them on my MH755. Unfortunately they seem to be too small to get a proper seal! Think it's because they are much shorter than the MH755 and other sony tips and the bore/nozzle isn't as flush with the bottom of the tip. The medium one definitely looks a lot bigger. Wonder if I am doomed to be between sizes on the Triple Comforts. Can't insert the MH755 any further. Maybe usable on some different IEMs at least with a deeper insertion to make up for the reduced height.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back