Best IEM for heavy metal under 500 dollars?
Jan 14, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #46 of 70
In the 2012 holiday gift guide, Jude says the 4.ai's are just shy of neutral and that the treble is just north of neutral and I agree with that 100%. The 4.ai are just a tad leaning towards bass-light with bright, very detailed, and clear treble, if that helps. Isolation is also very good and comes with some nice accessories as well. Out of the mentioned earphones here, I also think the 4.ai looks the nicest, if anyone cares about that
etysmile.gif

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #47 of 70
I don't know if this thread is dead or not, but I'll try. I received the PFE232 about two weeks ago, and I enjoyed it. However, a couple of days ago, the left earphone wasn't delivering any bass for some reason (since it's a dual-driver, I think the bass driver was broken) so I returned and  asked for a refund today. The PFE232 had exactly what I was hoping for, good bass, laid back mids, and sparkling highs. however, something weird happened, my music tastes sort of changed. I used to EQ the signature pro I have to make it a more bass and treble centric headphone because I find it quite warm. I started using it without EQ, and I started to appreciate the sound it had, to a point where I  preferred a warm sound that focused a bit more on mids instead of the aggressive treble and bass centric sound I used to prefer.

TL;DR: I suddenly prefer a warm mid-centric instead of the treble and bass focused sound I used to prefer. 

So since I'm getting a refund for my PFE232, I would like to know which IEM I should get now that my sound preference has changed. I would like to point out that I don't want an IEM that's completely mid-centric. I find that they tend to sound way too dark and blurry, which is something I definitely don't want, I don't want the IEM to be dark, I would prefer a more neutral sound and I would prefer it to be a tad on the bright side rather than a tad on the dark side. I want an IEM that has neutralish mids, but I still want it to be kind of the focus of the IEM. I don't want it to overemphasize the mids the way shure earphones do. I don't want them to be veiled nor do I want them to be in your face. And of course, I want it to be good for rock and metal. Something else I would like to mention is that the PFE232 sounded a but artificial, I want an IEM that sounds more natural. So far, I think the best choices I have are the SM3 or the Heir 4.Ai, any thoughts? My budget is 400.

edit: I would like to point out that I still enjoy treble, but I care more about mids. The more treble the better though.

Jan 29, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #48 of 70
My SM3 will be here within a couple hours. I'll let you know how it does with metal. If you want something more neutral though, the GR07 MK2 is a good option, and very cheap compared to many others.

Jan 29, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #50 of 70
Yeah the v2. Got them about an hour ago.

SM3v2:

First first impression: What is this crap, also, why is the Y split so high on the damn cable? Who thought this was a good idea? What, they only gave me THIS many tips? Pathetic.
Real first impression: Well, the soundstage is gigantic. Mids are forward.
Second impression: Oh, I guess these are pretty good.

My quick analysis:

Sounds thick. Huge soundstage/3D. Forward mids. Treble is the main weak point in regards to the sound, imo. I feel like the GR07 treble is a lot more clear and balanced. Gripes aside, I do like the SM3 - but at nearly double the price of the GR07.. eh. :p. Not sure if I will keep it. We'll see!

I think the GR07 might be better for you, but again, this is quick impressions. The overall sound signature (of the SM3v2) reminds me of the IE8's, minus the mids. Depends on if you'd prefer more balanced/more treble or not. Hehe.

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #51 of 70
Quote:
Yeah the v2. Got them about an hour ago.

SM3v2:

First first impression: What is this crap, also, why is the Y split so high on the damn cable? Who thought this was a good idea? What, they only gave me THIS many tips? Pathetic.
Real first impression: Well, the soundstage is gigantic. Mids are forward.
Second impression: Oh, I guess these are pretty good.

My quick analysis:

Sounds thick. Huge soundstage/3D. Forward mids. Treble is the main weak point in regards to the sound, imo. I feel like the GR07 treble is a lot more clear and balanced. Gripes aside, I do like the SM3 - but at nearly double the price of the GR07.. eh. :p. Not sure if I will keep it. We'll see!

I think the GR07 might be better for you, but again, this is quick impressions. The overall sound signature (of the SM3v2) reminds me of the IE8's, minus the mids. Depends on if you'd prefer more balanced/more treble or not. Hehe.

Gee, the SM3 sounds really overhyped. I still want to give it a try though.

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #53 of 70
Quote:

Haha, well I do think it's pretty good. 1 day isn't really enough time. I might keep it. The SM64v2 came out though, supposedly it's an improvement. We'll see. Too expensive for me to buy though without a big coupon

lol I've seen people compare the SM3 to open flagship headphones, it definitely seems overrated. Still, it received a lot of praise so I might as well try it out. The SM64 is pretty expensive, I'm not sure if an IEM is worth that much. I bought the PFE232 two weeks ago but I returned it, I don't think it justified its price so I'm not sure if the SM64 will. I'll wait until people post reviews.

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #54 of 70
Quote:
lol I've seen people compare the SM3 to open flagship headphones, it definitely seems overrated. Still, it received a lot of praise so I might as well try it out. The SM64 is pretty expensive, I'm not sure if an IEM is worth that much. I bought the PFE232 two weeks ago but I returned it, I don't think it justified its price so I'm not sure if the SM64 will. I'll wait until people post reviews.

It may be because of their huge soundstage and 3D imaging. That is something I will admit is really impressive. But yeah, I won't pay $500 for ANY earphone. If I can catch it on sale for like $375 then I might give it a try. Their impedance is still quite high, however.. :frowning2:

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #55 of 70
Quote:

It may be because of their huge soundstage and 3D imaging. That is something I will admit is really impressive. But yeah, I won't pay $500 for ANY earphone. If I can catch it on sale for like $375 then I might give it a try. Their impedance is still quite high, however.. :frowning2:

the price will probably go down in time, the westone 3 used cost 500 and now it cost 350. Whats the impedance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back