Best IEM for heavy metal under 500 dollars?
Nov 28, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #16 of 70
Quote:
The PFE232 isolate more than FX700 because it sit deeper in the ear and FX700 made for to stay in outer like UE TF10Pro and both has bigger nozels and FX700 still isolate pretty good(more than average inearbuds). If you want more natural wood (slightly) warm tune to the music then FX700 are pretty good( they offers extended highs, deep reverbing bass and detailed mids) and if need to change the sound often and more on detailed side then PFE232 are superb sounding IEMs.

Do you think I could improve the PFE232's isol;ation by switching tips? Perhaps there is one tip that isolates well enough for planes? Seriously, these are THE iem's for me.

Nov 28, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #17 of 70
Different tips can always improve isolation especially if they're Comply, your not going the find anything that will give you more isolation than Comply tips.  A good dual or triple flange tip would also work good.

Nov 28, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #18 of 70
Quote:
Different tips can always improve isolation especially if they're Comply, your not going the find anything that will give you more isolation than Comply tips.  A good dual or triple flange tip would also work good.

They do come with some comply tips so hopefully that will give me enough isolation. they are vented though, won't they leak sound?

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #19 of 70
Quote:
Are they hard to amp? All I have is a fiio e11, but to be honest I dont want something that wint sound that good because most of the time I will be using it unamped (but I might change my mind about that)

I use mine unamped with my rocoo p and they sound great and can get it to really loud volumes. What player are you using? I also had a fiio e11 before but I sold it, for me
the rocoo p sounded better without the e11.  

Dec 21, 2012 at 7:13 AM Post #20 of 70
Grado gr10 vote here

Detailed
Comfy
Doesn't need an amp
Drums sound amazing

I think it's great with metal
Heck, I use them so much that I rarely use my 225s aka THE metal headphone

One bit of advice for anyone who orders them is to make sure you use the largest insert available.
Thy need that extra isolation before they can shine

Dec 22, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #21 of 70
I listen to death metal mainly and I fell in love with the Westone 4, after owning Shure SE535.

Bass - I'm not a bass head but the Westone 4 has enough to greatly satisfy me without it being overpowering or fatiguing. 
Mids - There is less mids than the Shures but I really hated the bloated mids for metal. I'd say it is slightly recessed compared to the lows and highs, making a very slight v shaped sound.
Highs - These were the selling point for me, I wouldn't say that the treble is extremely extended, but it has great sparkle. I never knew cymbals could sound so awesome when I first put on the Westone 4.
Clarity - The first thing I notice when I try on lesser ear/headphones is their lack in clarity compared to the Westone 4. It doesn't sound muffled; very satisfying overall.

Dec 22, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #22 of 70
There are a lot of good IEMs that are good for metal. I've only heard a few that would fit your bill (increased isolation) as a few of the IEMs I've used that I would recommend have reduced isolation (FX700, EX600, etc.)

I think the SM3 and TF10 should be at the top of your list. Regardless of price, the TF10 is still very good for metal/techno.

Dec 22, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #23 of 70
Westone 3 fits your description perfectly.  Many other good choices mentioned but if you truly want your bass to have impact and slam, cast those aside, W3 is the one.

Dec 23, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #24 of 70
For metal I'd guess that you would like a faster earphone than anything I own; based on your requirements, the only headphone I've heard which matches your needs is the Earsonics SM3 V2. I had a chance to listen to them yesterday, and Techno Kid is right on the money (I wish I owned a pair). It's got great isolation and excellent sound; I'd describe it as very detailed, but definitely packing some serious 'musicality and emotion'.

For metal, I'd suggest that they could admirably handle any song you throw at it. However, the SM3 does require an over-the-ear fit - I didn't find them to be fiddly to wear or remove at all (the memory wire helped), but it may be different for you.

Perhaps also check out the 4.ai for more treble, or the V-shaped 3.ai... Sadly, I've never heard the Heir universals, but from what I've read you might like them. Good luck!

Dec 28, 2012 at 5:01 AM Post #28 of 70
Quote:
Westone W3 or W4 for metal? I'm not dismissing other responses, but these are almost the same price in amazon.

If toughs are what your wanting then the W4 is the better pair but I find the SM3 to be better than the W4.  The imaging I find better and the soundstage also and you just can beat that 3D presentation they have and you can find them for around the same price as the W4.  Both the SM3 and W4 are good choices so either one would work great.

Dec 28, 2012 at 6:04 AM Post #29 of 70
Quote:

If toughs are what your wanting then the W4 is the better pair but I find the SM3 to be better than the W4.  The imaging I find better and the soundstage also and you just can beat that 3D presentation they have and you can find them for around the same price as the W4.  Both the SM3 and W4 are good choices so either one would work great.

I'm looking for an IEM with a lot of treble quantity, so I'm thinking the W4 and SM3 wont provide that. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back