Best headphones with a $150 budget?
Sep 16, 2011 at 3:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ishJJx3

New Head-Fier
So I've been searching around the forums for the last couple hours, getting some more information as I join this crowd.
I've been using overrated headphones for the past few years.  Now I'm in the middle of my college years, and I feel it's time to go for quality.
I'm hearing a lot of good talk about the XB700's, but I don't want to stop there;  I'd like to hear a bit more through my own request from all of you.

What's the best headphones I can get with a budget of $150?

These would most likely be for use when I'm on the go, using my Samsung Infuse to play my lossless albums.
I'd usually listen to rock music and classics such as The Who, Rush, and Journey.  I also enjoy modern-day bands with such talent, such as Muse.
But I also listen to Electronica here and there, so some suggestions relative to bass-type headphones would be nice.

I look forward to any suggestions given.

Sep 16, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #2 of 8
Heya,

So, needs to be easy to drive and closed back with a budget of $150 and you need something that has good mids, warm and bassy, but not overly bassy, with some detail, but not piercing with the highs. Right?

Ultrasone HFI 580 or DJ1
Shure SRH750 DJ (bassy)
Shure SRH840 (more neutral)
AKG K272 HD (not bassy, more neutral, but a great can so had to include since it's a closed AKG with velour)
Fischer Audio FA-003 (more neutral, both leather & velour pads though)
Skullcandy Aviators
Denon D1100 (bassy)
Fostex T50RP (not as bassy, more neutral, mids-centric, great for rock and stuff, and vocals, ORTHO!)
Panasonic RP-HTF600 (bassy, warm, lush, smooth, total absolute steal, I bought two)

Very best,

Sep 16, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #3 of 8
Thank you for the response!

I took a look at your suggestions, and I'm mostly intrigued by the SRH750's and those Panasonics (Such a low price, I'm amazed!)

EDIT:  It seems like the Panasonics have low availability in Canada though, and are a bit more pricey; with duties coming over $110 from the US' $30 price on Amazon.
Nonetheless, still in my budget.  But as for looks, the SRH750's are really catching my eye too.

Sep 16, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
Thank you for the response!

I took a look at your suggestions, and I'm mostly intrigued by the SRH750's and those Panasonics (Such a low price, I'm amazed!)

EDIT:  It seems like the Panasonics have low availability in Canada though, and are a bit more pricey; with duties coming over $110 from the US' $30 price on Amazon.
Nonetheless, still in my budget.  But as for looks, the SRH750's are really catching my eye too.

Heya,

Ouch, Canada... yea, prices are hard up there. Probably should specify in the future that your budget is in CDN dollars and where you're buying from to avoid getting a $600 headphone suggestion in a $150 thread, lol. I kid of course. But still, a lot of headphones up there are outrageously priced and the customs on things sent in outside of Canada are bonkers too. I lived there, so experienced it first hand, was atrocious.

Anyhow, the SRH750DJ is a fun headphone, bassy, looks great, it's full size over ear (there is a smaller one that is on-ear if that suits you too), pretty smooth sound in general. It's like $100 here in the States, but dunno what it will be for you up there unfortunately.

Very best,

Sep 16, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
Heya,

Ouch, Canada... yea, prices are hard up there. Probably should specify in the future that your budget is in CDN dollars and where you're buying from to avoid getting a $600 headphone suggestion in a $150 thread, lol. I kid of course. But still, a lot of headphones up there are outrageously priced and the customs on things sent in outside of Canada are bonkers too. I lived there, so experienced it first hand, was atrocious.

Anyhow, the SRH750DJ is a fun headphone, bassy, looks great, it's full size over ear (there is a smaller one that is on-ear if that suits you too), pretty smooth sound in general. It's like $100 here in the States, but dunno what it will be for you up there unfortunately.

Very best,

Ah I see.  I'll be sure to mention that if I'll ever need to in the near future.
Yes, in some cases, shipping, customs and duties can end up costing more than the item itself.  It is quite a hassle.  That's why I strive to find sellers in Canada.

Wow, what a great coincidence; somebody down my street is selling the SRH750DJ's for $100 on craigslist.  I'm really tempted to pick these up right now, haha.
But not yet; I'd like to hear some more suggestions anybody may have.
Again, thank you very much for all the feedback so far :)

Sep 16, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #6 of 8
Hey, I'm in Canada too but I've just entered uni. Headphone prices are pretty hiked up here compared to the US so I feel your pain. I bought the m50's for $159 at long and mcquade and compared them with the shure 750dj, same price. I prefer the sound and construction of the m50's but I love shure's detachable and coiled cable design. There is a coiled version of the m50's at long and mcquade but they cost around $179 or 189 for some reason. 

I'm a bit of a noob so you should take what I say with a grain of salt. I thought the shure's had more bass, the m50's have bass but the shure's had more punch and I thought they were tighter sounding. But I thought the m50's had a fuller sound, lusher and they really brought out vocals and acoustic sounds. In terms of comfort it really depends on what you prefer. The m50's have thicker padding on the ear cups and have an oval shape design, while the shure's have circle ear cups that aren't as padded. They isolate and leak sound about the same I would say. Both clamp well. I chose the m50's because they had a sturdier design, I felt that the swivel features on the shure's could easily break. Mind you both are made of plastic, the m50's have a one year warranty while the shure's have 2. I have earphones from shure, which I've broken twice and they sent me a replacement pair pretty fast. I think you should give both a try and see which you prefer. 

Although I really love the m50's I wish I had waited and saved up for something like the Senn 598 or the AKG 701. It sucks because those two are priced around 200 - 250 in the US but they're priced at 300 - 350 in Canada. Plus you need a decent amp for them. If you can hold off I would save up for headphones in the higher price ranges. I think headphones at $150 just scratch the surface of good audio and once you've done that you're going to want to start digging a whole through your wallet for the next thing. Totally happening to me right now, which makes me resent Canadian prices a lot. If you're in the Vancouver area, there's a place called the Headphone Bar on West Broadway, that lets you try every pair in store. They don't have the m50s or the 750dj's though but the place gives you a good look and listen to what's out there. 

Good luck! 

Sep 16, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #7 of 8
I think Sennheiser HD 555's are only $70-$100 depending where you look now that they've been "upgraded -- hardly" to the HD 558.  You could step up to the HD 595 as well (but there is a mod to get the 555's to sound like the 595's).

Sep 17, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #8 of 8
Hello Konata (love lucky star btw) I also recommend the Shure SRH750DJ. I used to own them but I returned them as I found out I didn't like to much bass. But they are great cans and Shure has excellent customer service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back