Best Headphones Under $100
May 22, 2011 at 4:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

darkfireblade25

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for headphones that have the best audio reproduction quality to price under 100 bucks. I mostly listen to movie soundtracks, j-pop and various metal. I currently own the sennheiser 238 and portapros. the sennheisers's vocals sound really soft compared to most headphones and the portapros mids aren't all that great. Not to give an impression that I want on ear headphones since that's all I own currently but the most important thing I want is something that would have detail all around the frequencies and not be drowned out by the other frequencies like the portapros sometimes do with it's bass. 

modded headphones suggestions are welcomed too.

May 22, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #2 of 4
Best headphones under $100 for Jpop I've heard is the Koss Pro DJ 100. They're DJ headphones but don't have tons of bass like most other DJ headphones. It's signature is very well balanced, but still does have slightly forward mids. It just has a fun sound signature similar to the HD-598. They have some of the best female vocals I've heard. The only problem is that they need some sort of amping to sound good. A $25 E5 might do. BTW the Porta Pro's I never liked much and the DJ100 is on a whole other level.

I also like the KRK KNS-6400 which I just bought. One of the clearest sounding under $100 headphones I've heard yet. I can't really say much about it since I'm still testing it out. Many people also like the Shure SRH-440.

Basically for Jpop you can't go wrong with the DJ100.

May 22, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #3 of 4

Quote:
Best headphones under $100 for Jpop I've heard is the Koss Pro DJ 100. They're DJ headphones but don't have tons of bass like most other DJ headphones. It's signature is very well balanced, but still does have slightly forward mids. It just has a fun sound signature similar to the HD-598. They have some of the best female vocals I've heard. The only problem is that they need some sort of amping to sound good. A $25 E5 might do. BTW the Porta Pro's I never liked much and the DJ100 is on a whole other level.

What would you say would be good for metal and orchestral pieces?

May 22, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #4 of 4
Probably a Grado SR-60/80 for metal. I think the Beyer Dynamic DT-235 might also be a good match.
If you don't mind another headphone that needs amping, the AKG K240 Studio is good. They run about $70-$100 and are very comfortable.
They're not portable though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back