Best Headphones for the buck
Sep 11, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #31 of 36
Quote:
So I think I've come to a conclusion after much deliberation and research.  I am going to try  the DT 990 Pro 250ohms and get the Fiio e11 as a portable amp.  These should work with the ASUS Xonar Essence STX I plan on buying as well.  I feel that if I order them and don't like them I can always send them back.  I do truly appreciate all of the help from each and every person in this thread.  The DT 990's seem to be the best fit for me considering the price as well.  It'll probably be a few days before I get a hold of these bad boys, but when I do I'll let everyone know what the final consensus is.

Try the third party drivers "Unified Xonar Drivers" at the website Brainbit.

Sep 11, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #33 of 36
Quote:
What's the difference in the third party drivers?  Do they produce a better sound?

Most users say they hear an improvement with them.

Sep 18, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #34 of 36
Ok so I got my DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm's today and have been listening to them.  I actually love the level of the treble, and mids, I think they fit just right, but I keep finding myself lacking that nice low punchy bass that I love in all my music.  I am always turning up the bass on the Fiio E-11 that I have to max but it makes the bass more muddled than anything.  I read about some Ultrasones that do pretty well and pack a nice low punchy bass without distorting tone or running into the mids and blocking out clarity of the other ranges.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sep 18, 2012 at 5:38 AM Post #35 of 36
Quote:
Ok so I got my DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm's today and have been listening to them.  I actually love the level of the treble, and mids, I think they fit just right, but I keep finding myself lacking that nice low punchy bass that I love in all my music.  I am always turning up the bass on the Fiio E-11 that I have to max but it makes the bass more muddled than anything.  I read about some Ultrasones that do pretty well and pack a nice low punchy bass without distorting tone or running into the mids and blocking out clarity of the other ranges.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Heya,

Sounds like you're looking for sub bass. The DT990 has mostly mid-bass. Sub-bass is harder for open air headphones to really achieve with the authority you're looking for. Closed headphones do it easier. Low frequency takes more power than high frequency to generate the sound because it has to displace more air (which is why sub woofers take so much power compared to a tweeter at the same volume). For a headphone to get a loud, low, controlled sub-bass tone, it takes more energy too. Closed headphones are easier to do this with because you've limited the amount of air that needs to be displaced, compared to an open air headphone. So you'll more easily generate the low tones with less energy and volume. My point? Get a Denon D2000, D5000, Ultrasone HFI 580 or PRO 750, Beyer DT770, AudioTechnica A900X, or Brainwavz HM5 and pair with your Fiio E11 with bass on 2, you'll go "O.O' at the sub bass compared to open air offerings.

Very best,

Sep 18, 2012 at 5:58 AM Post #36 of 36
Quote:

Heya,

Sounds like you're looking for sub bass. The DT990 has mostly mid-bass. Sub-bass is harder for open air headphones to really achieve with the authority you're looking for. Closed headphones do it easier. Low frequency takes more power than high frequency to generate the sound because it has to displace more air (which is why sub woofers take so much power compared to a tweeter at the same volume). For a headphone to get a loud, low, controlled sub-bass tone, it takes more energy too. Closed headphones are easier to do this with because you've limited the amount of air that needs to be displaced, compared to an open air headphone. So you'll more easily generate the low tones with less energy and volume. My point? Get a Denon D2000, D5000, Ultrasone HFI 580 or PRO 750, Beyer DT770, AudioTechnica A900X, or Brainwavz HM5 and pair with your Fiio E11 with bass on 2, you'll go "O.O' at the sub bass compared to open air offerings.

Very best,

It looks like the D2000 have a wider frequency range compared to the others.  How do you think they compare to the PRO 750 and the DT770's?  I actually heard a pair of DT770's in store and they had a nice little punch of bass.  I could probably use a little more bass than the DT770's but this could probably be accomplished with the amp I would assume, or would another model headphone be better so I'm not pumping the bass up merely with the amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back