Best Headphones for me? Please help narrow my search!
Jul 31, 2011 at 11:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

kernan

New Head-Fier
So I listen to a lot of Hip Hop and Rap on my Ipod 3g. My price range is preferably $200 or under, the more bang for the buck, the better! I've done quite a bit of research recently and have narrowed my search to the following headphones.. Please tell me which you think is best (or the worst) and why. I really want a pair that goes OVER my ears (or mostly cover), are comfy, and sound excellent for my genre. If you have a recommendation (another brand), all I ask is that you please make sure you are recommending them to someone like me who listens to Hip Hop and Rap and are not just talking up the pair you bought, also please try to keep within price range!

Sony MDR-V700DJ Monitor Series Headphone $81
Shure SRH750 DJ Headphones $126
Shure SRH840 Professional Monitoring Earphones $135
Ultrasone HFI-680 S-Logic Surround Sound Professional Headphones $137
Sony MDR-NC60 Noise Canceling Headphone $139
Audio Technica ATH M50 $155
Beyerdynamic DT 770-PRO Headphones $170

Over price range but still worth mentioning...
The "Indestructible" German Maestro GMP 8.35 D Monitor Headphone - $250
Sennheiser HD 598 - $260

Also can someone please tell me the difference between "Studio" and "Professional" headphones. And what is meant by "Monitor" headphones. As you can see with the Audio Technica headphones, there are multiple versions of the same model... can be a bit confusing!

Thanks!

Aug 1, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #2 of 8
Ultrasone HFI 580
Denon D1100
Audio Technica Pro700 MK2

Most bass = Pro700 MK2
Best SQ = 580
Comfort = D1100

Your best bet will be the HFI 580. Later on when you may get a LOD and amp for the iPod, the 580 will respond fantastically to that amping and have even more bass potential.

Aug 1, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #3 of 8
monitor is supposed to mean that they are linaer through thier frequency response. 

The Audio Technicas in your list only have two models and thats because ones straight corded and the other is curled other then that they are the same.

Aug 1, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
monitor is supposed to mean that they are linaer through thier frequency response. 

The Audio Technicas in your list only have two models and thats because ones straight corded and the other is curled other then that they are the same.

Yea exactly, they are supposed to mean that.
tongue.gif

The Pro700 MK2 is labeled a monitor by Audio Technica which boggles my mind. Those headphones color the sound like none other. I think Beats are the culprit who started this trend... Calling things studio monitors when they really would never be used in a studio.

Aug 3, 2011 at 4:01 AM Post #5 of 8
Thanks for the responses! I decided to go with the HFI 580's... I found them for $127 and after taxes and duty (man sometimes I wish I lived in the US!) it came to about $160. I'm stoked to get them, I've heard nothing but good things and I'm sure I won't regret it. The Denon's were tempting but the higher price made the choice easy.

... Now Slapshot, I am very interested in adding a portable amp but I've done little research..
Which Fiio LOD model is the highest quality? Is it safe to assume L9>L3>L1? I think the L1 is somewhat lower quality. And the 9 and 3 are the same except for design as the 9 has the curved input (Which I think is probably more desirable)... Am I correct?

And as for the portable amplifier. Is Fiio the only brand I should be looking at? Which should I get? The E7 or E11?

Aug 3, 2011 at 5:01 AM Post #6 of 8
Because you asked about terminology:

"Studio," "Professional," and "Monitor" are terms that, in reality, can have whatever meaning someone chooses when marketing products to you.  Some clever folks can even fail to specify what qualifies their product to bear these categorizations.   This has been going on for far longer than the Beats have been around, that's for sure.

In common sense terms, a "studio" headphone will have a flat response and neutral presentation, so when you're using them to produce, mix, or master music, you can hear the mix for what it is.  Granted, you're supposed to perform these tasks with nearfield monitor speakers, not in headphones, but hey, who in the pro audio field hasn't used their headphones to get some work done?  Anyway, a studio headphone should give you all the detail and clarity of sound, while adding as little color or extra characteristic as possible to the material.  You hear "flat," "neutral," "reference" and similar terms.  It's more an ideal to get nearer and nearer to, within acceptable tolerances and price points.

Leads us to our next term, "monitor."  Really a monitor is just so you can hear what's going on.  A DJ monitor can be a Pro700 MkII, or an 800-watt JBL pointed at your face; it can also be the poor-brand counterparts to these products..  Stage monitors, TV monitors, hall monitors.  I've always thought they don't have to be good in order to do their job.  Think of someone who has to jump behind a mic and sing while you record.  In your studio you have a great headphone and a decent headphone, and the great one's on your head.  What do you hand your vocalist?  Whatever it is, it's a monitor.

Lastly, "professional."  It's such a subjective thing.  What do you want a professional-grade product to be?  Depends, doesn't it, on what you're doing?  So any few of a large number of possible features can be marketed to you, the professional.  Detachable cable.  Steel conductors.  Gold connectors.  Field replaceable parts.  High power handling.  High impedance.  Low impedance.  (See what I did there?)  Rugged construction.  Comfort.  Finish.  Someone can tell you it's a profession-oriented product, and hopefully it is, at least relative to one's own product line if not relative to your needs and standards.

I hope this helps.

Oh gee, look at the time!

Aug 13, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #7 of 8
So far the HFI 580s are great but they are a bit too snug. I'm worried that I should have gone with the Denon D1100's... That being said I'm thinking about swapping the earpads for something more comfortable like the Beyerdynamic dt250/dt280 replacement earpads. Or does anyone know of even better replacement pads out there? There's still an issue of the band on the top of my head being too tight as well and the shape of the headphones might make them look a bit goofy in public.

Aug 15, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #8 of 8
I take back what was said, they are very comfy! Just had to find the sweet spot! I'm still contemplating getting another set of earpads though (preferably not pleather, something soft and cushiony would be great!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back