Best Headphones for low volume listening?
May 18, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #17 of 56
IMO, for low-volume i think that the best ones are closed-back full-size headphones because since they have isolation you don't need to use a high volume to dowrn-out the other noises.

May 18, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #18 of 56
IMO, for low-volume i think that the best ones are closed-back full-size headphones because since they have isolation you don't need to use a high volume to dowrn-out the other noises.

Of course if you are lucky enough to have a quiet space to listen, then an open back will be the better choice for low volume.

May 19, 2013 at 4:02 AM Post #19 of 56
My Denon D7100 is very warm and sweet with low volume. It will be a good choice
wink.gif

May 19, 2013 at 5:49 AM Post #20 of 56
R one said: My Denon D7100 is very warm and sweet with low volume. It will be a good choice.

Ameen! I agree completely and I am noticing that more and more lately!

By the way what amp and source are you using with your 7100? Have you ever tried a Fostex hp-p1? Do you know if it works with the supplied apple mic/remote. I have been trying to figure this out forever! Thanks.

May 19, 2013 at 6:16 AM Post #21 of 56
Any and all of the budget koss open headphones: portapro, sportapro, ksc75's and ktxpro1. The latter two have titanium coated drivers which add a bit of treble emphasis; the former pairs are bass heavy but nonetheless excellent overall: you can literally feel the instruments.

I am often perplexed as to why people spend many hundreds of dollars when excellence is within their grasp for as little as $10. 

May 19, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #22 of 56
If you are looking for a closed back headphone, I would recommand AKG K550. I've been searching and trying different headphones to fulfill my need for isolating environment. I like k550 more than t70p. It can be ran in a relatively low volume but you might have need some good desktop devices to drive 550‘s bass.

May 19, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #23 of 56
I apologize to the OP for the lack of maturity of some of the posters in this thread. 

The koss open headphones I listed are all terrific for low volume listening, and cost next to nothing. :)

The grado sr60i's should be terrific as well, albeit at a bit higher price. 

May 20, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #24 of 56
May 20, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #25 of 56
Quote:
R one said: My Denon D7100 is very warm and sweet with low volume. It will be a good choice.

Ameen! I agree completely and I am noticing that more and more lately!

By the way what amp and source are you using with your 7100? Have you ever tried a Fostex hp-p1? Do you know if it works with the supplied apple mic/remote. I have been trying to figure this out forever! Thanks.

I use  an audio gd nfb 5.2 amplifier/cad combo and it works very well. but when i'm listening for higher details with more volume, i usually use the w3000anv's.
wink_face.gif
Sorry, but i don't know how the remote control works with apple product. i only use my headphones at home.

May 20, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #27 of 56
May 21, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #28 of 56
Quote:

The koss open headphones I listed are all terrific for low volume listening, and cost next to nothing. :)

I didn't like the Porta Pros for quiet listening. They need little more volume to "open up".
I would rather look for headphones that are used by studio professionals.

The reason for louder than comfortable listening levels could be that the op is not hearing something he wants to hear at low listening levels.  I suggest that he should examine what are the shortcomings of his current headphones. An equalizer could help to identify and even rectify the shortcomings. 

May 21, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #29 of 56
 when doing some real listening, i can't imagine being under... say 60 or 70db. else the soundstage collapses and all music with a high range of dynamics would result in not hearing the most quiet sounds. (i love normalizers for movies but i can't resolve myself to massacre a fine piece of music with those tricks)

on the other hand when i listen to music at home while doing something else, i would go lower and lower in volume over time and end up, i guess, around 40db (that would be the fans of my computer level of sound). with such low volume, everything is a mess from soundstage to bass.  i gave up on soundstage as i'm not really listening, but i tend to go for bassy headphones on those occasions to keep the "feel of music". that way when the bass begins to fail, there is still enough to be neutral. given that those small bass left have the ****tiest damping you can dream of.

if you can't stand badly controlled bass, i guess something closer to a monitor would be best.

ps:got a hd650 (again) recently and i must agree with the others,  it is surprisingly nice for quiet listening. just don't expect to hear the hd650 at its best, but details are ok and the smooth signature goes well with the idea of relaxed low volume listening. 

May 21, 2013 at 4:37 AM Post #30 of 56
Quote:
I didn't like the Porta Pros for quiet listening. They need little more volume to "open up".
I would rather look for headphones that are used by studio professionals.

The reason for louder than comfortable listening levels could be that the op is not hearing something he wants to hear at low listening levels.  I suggest that he should examine what are the shortcomings of his current headphones. An equalizer could help to identify and even rectify the shortcomings. 

Stock? Yeah, I tend to agree. But that's why we have some great mods (quarter and kramer) to open up the high frequencies. :)

I use the quarter mod and an amp. Niiiice. 

But still I think grado's are the best for low volume listening. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back