Best Headphones for low volume listening?
May 15, 2013 at 6:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

Halimj7

500+ Head-Fier
The latest thread on this topic was from 2006 so I figured it would be good to bring up this topic again. Like me, im sure many of you are concerned about your hearing. Without our ears we can not fully enjoy this hobby. As I get older I get more concerned and low level listening has become a major factor in the headphones I consider. I have heard great comments about the PS1000 and the ultrasone cans. From everyone's experience or knowledge what are some good cans for safe low level listening?

May 15, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #2 of 56
First thing that comes to mind are grados. But since they are completely open it is not really good in noisy places though their sound is still very lively and fun at low levels.

May 15, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #4 of 56
It's not only the impedance of the headphone that you need to look out for, but also the sensitivity. 

Grados have a fairly high sensitivity and a low resistance, which seems to be a good combination for low volumes. 
Headphones with high resistance also tend to have a low sensitivity, so at lower volumes it sounds like the drivers aren't 'singing' properly. It's not a rule, but that's my impression.

Also I think dynamic drivers perform better at low volumes than planar magnetics (orthodynamics). Planars seem to lose their 'punch' at very low volumes. 

May 15, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #5 of 56
I love my Q701 at low volume. I listen to it anywhere from about 70db to 85db and I love the way it sounds at these volumes. Very detailed, but never painful or tiring.

My T50rp on the other hand doesn't sound good until it gets cranked up louder than I prefer to listen.  

May 17, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #8 of 56
A headphone that works well at low levels, although not warm-sounding, is the T1. I had the HE500, which sounded fairly warm IMHO, but I always seemed to turn up the volume quite a bit with it - more than I liked. The T1 is very detailed and lively even at low levels - but not warm (perhaps an OTL tube amp would change that).

May 17, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #9 of 56
Why not use the HD650 at low volume? I had them for about 8 months or so and they did well at lower levels.
Quote:
Is there a really warm sounding headphone (like the hd650) that performs well at low listening levels?

May 17, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #10 of 56
Igrado/Grado SR60i sound really nice at lower volumes and have a very warm sound signature. 

I am listening to the koss ktxpro1 and they sound very nice at low volume. A mild sprinkle of high frequency sparkle and a bit of bumpin' bass. 

May 17, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #13 of 56
grado gs 1000. I own a pair and they are great for low level listening. that is their forte. 

May 18, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #15 of 56
I have owned three different Grado headphones, and everyone of them excelled in low level listening....matter of fact , I believe it to be one of the strengths of the Grado line.

RS1i.....325i and SR60i....all have been great at low volume levels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back