Best Headphones for Cowon S9 without an amp?
post-7665465
Thread Starter
Post #1 of 21

dvd101e

New Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 8, 2011
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Joined
Aug 8, 2011
Posts
15
Likes
0
 
Hi guys, This is my first post ever, and I live in the Netherlands, so pls don't be too critical on my grammar etc :).

I now own earbuds which are 20 dollars, more or less, and a mp3player of 40, I think, so this is going to be a big investment for me.

I prefer SQ over everything, the rest is not very important to me.

 

I think am going to buy the Beyerdynamic DT880 32 Ohm + the Cowon S9 16 GB, without an amp. 

 

First question: is the DT880 32 Ohm good without an amp? If not, which cans are?

 

Second: Does the Cowon S9 really have a very good SQ?

 

Third: Will it be a good combination, the Dt880 + S9 without an amp?

 

Oh, almost forgot, I mostly listen to rock, (like Joe Satriani, some Pink Floyd etc), Jazz/Funk (mostly Jamiroquai), some classic stuff, metal, pop, bit of rap, so really a lot of things. 

 

So, If you have any experience w/ those cans or the S9, or if you know the answers to my questions, please respond:).

 

If this really isn't a great idea, please help me, and post some other options. My budget for the cans is around the 300,-.

 
     Share This Post       
post-7665567
Post #3 of 21

dvd101e

New Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 8, 2011
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Joined
Aug 8, 2011
Posts
15
Likes
0
90 percent as portable headphones, I think, since I tried the Cowon S9 from my friend, and I really loved the SQ, and I'm not going to be a lot at home, so I'll be using the Cowon a lot more.
 
Thx for your quick reply !
 
     Share This Post       
post-7665587
Post #4 of 21

Chris_Himself

Member of the Trade: HPL Audio Cables
Joined
Jun 6, 2007
Messages
3,169
Reaction score
72
Joined
Jun 6, 2007
Posts
3,169
Likes
72
Yeah it'll sound good.
 
DT880 will run just fine, the S9 has a pretty buff internal amp in there. I've always been a fan of their stuff.
 
Yes, Cowon has always placed sound quality at a higher priority than things like their UI, form factor, and appearance. Before the Hifiman series of DAP's, they were once the best ones to have on the planet.
 
You'll be happy
 
     Share This Post       
post-7665594
Post #5 of 21

MalVeauX

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 29, 2011
Messages
7,000
Reaction score
714
Joined
Apr 29, 2011
Posts
7,000
Likes
714


Quote:
90 percent as portable headphones, I think, since I tried the Cowon S9 from my friend, and I really loved the SQ, and I'm not going to be a lot at home, so I'll be using the Cowon a lot more.
 
Thx for your quick reply !

Heya,
 
The DT880's are semi-open which might as well be fully open-air. They will allow sound in, big leak, and allow sound out, big leak. So it will really effect you using them as portables out and about. You will hear everything congesting in with your music. Like wise, everyone around will hear what you are listening to and likely not enjoy being included in your personal concert.
 
You should probably look for closed back headphones so that you can minimize leakage and go instead of isolation.
 
In the BeyerDynamic line, your headphone would be the DT770 Premium 32ohm likely.
 
Very best,
 
     Share This Post       
post-7665599
Post #6 of 21

dvd101e

New Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 8, 2011
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Joined
Aug 8, 2011
Posts
15
Likes
0
Really appreciate this ! I think I made up my choice now, so I'll buy the DT880. 
Thanks for your help!
 
     Share This Post       
post-7665601
Post #7 of 21

dvd101e

New Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 8, 2011
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Joined
Aug 8, 2011
Posts
15
Likes
0
@MalVeauX Hmm, didn't think of that.. I think I'll do a bit of research on the Dt770 first.
 
     Share This Post       
post-7665604
Post #8 of 21

dvd101e

New Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 8, 2011
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Joined
Aug 8, 2011
Posts
15
Likes
0
@MalVeauX Is there a lot of difference in sound between the DT770 and the Dt880? Now I'm stuck between the DT770 and the DT880.
I am definately going to buy Beyer's, because I like their sound signature. So the main difference is that the DT770 is closed, and the DT880 is open, right?
 
     Share This Post       
post-7665649
Post #9 of 21

MalVeauX

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 29, 2011
Messages
7,000
Reaction score
714
Joined
Apr 29, 2011
Posts
7,000
Likes
714


Quote:
@MalVeauX Is there a lot of difference in sound between the DT770 and the Dt880? Now I'm stuck between the DT770 and the DT880.
I am definately going to buy Beyer's, because I like their sound signature. So the main difference is that the DT770 is closed, and the DT880 is open, right?

Heya,
 
DT770's are closed and more bassy because of that, otherwise, good mids and forward treble. Great for rock and genres like that. Good for everything really. They're just more bassy, not considered a neutral headphone. The DT880 has more sound stage (due to being semi-open) and is more neutral, so less bassy.
 
Very best,
 
 
     Share This Post       
post-7665661
Post #10 of 21

DaveBSC

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 31, 2009
Messages
3,038
Reaction score
59
Joined
Dec 31, 2009
Posts
3,038
Likes
59
I would NOT recommend the DT880-32 with the S9. I tried that combo and did not like it at all. The impedance is low but that's a bit of a trick, the current demand is very high and the S9 can't supply it. The resulting sound is frankly terrible. I would suggest reading Tyll Hertsens' report over at Inner Fidelity about why you should NOT be using the 32 Ohm Beyers with the S9.
 
If you're set on the S9 + Beyer combo, get a DT1350. It's 80 Ohm but much more sensitive than the DT880 and much better suited for use without an amp. It's also a better rock headphone than the 880, and a lot more refined than the 770.
 
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparison-beyerdynamic-dt-880-32-ohm-dt-880-250-ohm-and-dt-880-600-ohm-headphones
 
     Share This Post       
post-7665937
Post #11 of 21

dvd101e

New Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 8, 2011
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Joined
Aug 8, 2011
Posts
15
Likes
0
 


Quote:
Heya,
 
DT770's are closed and more bassy because of that, otherwise, good mids and forward treble. Great for rock and genres like that. Good for everything really. They're just more bassy, not considered a neutral headphone. The DT880 has more sound stage (due to being semi-open) and is more neutral, so less bassy.
 
Very best,
 

Okay, so I think the DT770 is more what I need, you're right :). but if you read this -->
 


Quote:
I would NOT recommend the DT880-32 with the S9. I tried that combo and did not like it at all. The impedance is low but that's a bit of a trick, the current demand is very high and the S9 can't supply it. The resulting sound is frankly terrible. I would suggest reading Tyll Hertsens' report over at Inner Fidelity about why you should NOT be using the 32 Ohm Beyers with the S9.
 
If you're set on the S9 + Beyer combo, get a DT1350. It's 80 Ohm but much more sensitive than the DT880 and much better suited for use without an amp. It's also a better rock headphone than the 880, and a lot more refined than the 770.
 
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparison-beyerdynamic-dt-880-32-ohm-dt-880-250-ohm-and-dt-880-600-ohm-headphones
 
Then I'm back to start again, 'cause he is saying that it's not good unamped ? It's really hard actually. I just read the article in the link, but I'm not convinced, 
because I've read some other threads and reviews about the 770 and 880, both 32 ohm unamped, and most ppl say the sq is just fine!
Don't get it.. I mean, the S9 is quite powerful, more powerful than most DAP's.
 
Thanks
 
     Share This Post       
post-7665981
Post #12 of 21

MalVeauX

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 29, 2011
Messages
7,000
Reaction score
714
Joined
Apr 29, 2011
Posts
7,000
Likes
714
Heya,
 
The DT770 32ohm will be fine on your S9.
 
My Sansa Fuze can power my DT990 600ohm to the low-moderate listening volume. It pushes all my 44 and 80 ohm headphones fine without an amp. Does it push them fully? Maybe not. I do notice more full bass on my Ultrasone Pro 900 with an amp, even though it's low impedance. But it's not like you're going to get an anemic sound.
 
Get the DT770's. You'll do fine.
 
Otherwise, get the Ultrasone HFI 580's.
 
Very best,
 
     Share This Post       
post-7665992
Post #13 of 21

dvd101e

New Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 8, 2011
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Joined
Aug 8, 2011
Posts
15
Likes
0
Hey,
 
I allready considered the Ultrasone HFI 580, but I just didn't like it, don't know why, I guess it's just something personal. 
Ok, thanks. The S9 is a bit more powerful than the Fuze, right? than the 32 ohm shouldn't be a problem. 
Thanks a lot for your advice, it really helped me!
 
     Share This Post       
post-7665993
Post #14 of 21

wind016

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 19, 2009
Messages
3,895
Reaction score
86
Joined
Jun 19, 2009
Posts
3,895
Likes
86

Quote:
Get the DT770's. You'll do fine.
 
Otherwise, get the Ultrasone HFI 580's.
 

X2 on this. I liked the DT880, DT770, and the HFI 580 with the Cowon S9 when I auditioned them.
 
 
     Share This Post       
post-7666096
Post #15 of 21

dvd101e

New Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 8, 2011
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Joined
Aug 8, 2011
Posts
15
Likes
0


Quote:
X2 on this. I liked the DT880, DT770, and the HFI 580 with the Cowon S9 when I auditioned them.
 


I'm sorry, I'm really a noob when it comes to terms. What does "auditioning" mean?
 
     Share This Post       

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top