Best Headphones for Cowon S9 without an amp?
Aug 8, 2011 at 11:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

dvd101e

New Head-Fier

Hi guys, This is my first post ever, and I live in the Netherlands, so pls don't be too critical on my grammar etc :).

I now own earbuds which are 20 dollars, more or less, and a mp3player of 40, I think, so this is going to be a big investment for me.

I prefer SQ over everything, the rest is not very important to me.

I think am going to buy the Beyerdynamic DT880 32 Ohm + the Cowon S9 16 GB, without an amp. 

First question: is the DT880 32 Ohm good without an amp? If not, which cans are?

Second: Does the Cowon S9 really have a very good SQ?

Third: Will it be a good combination, the Dt880 + S9 without an amp?

Oh, almost forgot, I mostly listen to rock, (like Joe Satriani, some Pink Floyd etc), Jazz/Funk (mostly Jamiroquai), some classic stuff, metal, pop, bit of rap, so really a lot of things. 

So, If you have any experience w/ those cans or the S9, or if you know the answers to my questions, please respond:).

If this really isn't a great idea, please help me, and post some other options. My budget for the cans is around the 300,-.

Aug 9, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #3 of 21
90 percent as portable headphones, I think, since I tried the Cowon S9 from my friend, and I really loved the SQ, and I'm not going to be a lot at home, so I'll be using the Cowon a lot more.

Thx for your quick reply !

Aug 9, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #4 of 21
Yeah it'll sound good.

DT880 will run just fine, the S9 has a pretty buff internal amp in there. I've always been a fan of their stuff.

Yes, Cowon has always placed sound quality at a higher priority than things like their UI, form factor, and appearance. Before the Hifiman series of DAP's, they were once the best ones to have on the planet.

You'll be happy

Aug 9, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #5 of 21

Quote:
90 percent as portable headphones, I think, since I tried the Cowon S9 from my friend, and I really loved the SQ, and I'm not going to be a lot at home, so I'll be using the Cowon a lot more.

Thx for your quick reply !

Heya,

The DT880's are semi-open which might as well be fully open-air. They will allow sound in, big leak, and allow sound out, big leak. So it will really effect you using them as portables out and about. You will hear everything congesting in with your music. Like wise, everyone around will hear what you are listening to and likely not enjoy being included in your personal concert.

You should probably look for closed back headphones so that you can minimize leakage and go instead of isolation.

In the BeyerDynamic line, your headphone would be the DT770 Premium 32ohm likely.

Very best,

Aug 9, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #8 of 21
@MalVeauX Is there a lot of difference in sound between the DT770 and the Dt880? Now I'm stuck between the DT770 and the DT880.
I am definately going to buy Beyer's, because I like their sound signature. So the main difference is that the DT770 is closed, and the DT880 is open, right?

Aug 9, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #9 of 21

Quote:
@MalVeauX Is there a lot of difference in sound between the DT770 and the Dt880? Now I'm stuck between the DT770 and the DT880.
I am definately going to buy Beyer's, because I like their sound signature. So the main difference is that the DT770 is closed, and the DT880 is open, right?

Heya,

DT770's are closed and more bassy because of that, otherwise, good mids and forward treble. Great for rock and genres like that. Good for everything really. They're just more bassy, not considered a neutral headphone. The DT880 has more sound stage (due to being semi-open) and is more neutral, so less bassy.

Very best,

Aug 9, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #10 of 21
I would NOT recommend the DT880-32 with the S9. I tried that combo and did not like it at all. The impedance is low but that's a bit of a trick, the current demand is very high and the S9 can't supply it. The resulting sound is frankly terrible. I would suggest reading Tyll Hertsens' report over at Inner Fidelity about why you should NOT be using the 32 Ohm Beyers with the S9.

If you're set on the S9 + Beyer combo, get a DT1350. It's 80 Ohm but much more sensitive than the DT880 and much better suited for use without an amp. It's also a better rock headphone than the 880, and a lot more refined than the 770.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparison-beyerdynamic-dt-880-32-ohm-dt-880-250-ohm-and-dt-880-600-ohm-headphones

Aug 9, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #11 of 21

Quote:
Heya,

DT770's are closed and more bassy because of that, otherwise, good mids and forward treble. Great for rock and genres like that. Good for everything really. They're just more bassy, not considered a neutral headphone. The DT880 has more sound stage (due to being semi-open) and is more neutral, so less bassy.

Very best,

Okay, so I think the DT770 is more what I need, you're right :). but if you read this -->

Quote:
I would NOT recommend the DT880-32 with the S9. I tried that combo and did not like it at all. The impedance is low but that's a bit of a trick, the current demand is very high and the S9 can't supply it. The resulting sound is frankly terrible. I would suggest reading Tyll Hertsens' report over at Inner Fidelity about why you should NOT be using the 32 Ohm Beyers with the S9.

If you're set on the S9 + Beyer combo, get a DT1350. It's 80 Ohm but much more sensitive than the DT880 and much better suited for use without an amp. It's also a better rock headphone than the 880, and a lot more refined than the 770.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparison-beyerdynamic-dt-880-32-ohm-dt-880-250-ohm-and-dt-880-600-ohm-headphones

Then I'm back to start again, 'cause he is saying that it's not good unamped ? It's really hard actually. I just read the article in the link, but I'm not convinced, 
because I've read some other threads and reviews about the 770 and 880, both 32 ohm unamped, and most ppl say the sq is just fine!
Don't get it.. I mean, the S9 is quite powerful, more powerful than most DAP's.

Thanks

Aug 9, 2011 at 4:28 AM Post #12 of 21
Heya,

The DT770 32ohm will be fine on your S9.

My Sansa Fuze can power my DT990 600ohm to the low-moderate listening volume. It pushes all my 44 and 80 ohm headphones fine without an amp. Does it push them fully? Maybe not. I do notice more full bass on my Ultrasone Pro 900 with an amp, even though it's low impedance. But it's not like you're going to get an anemic sound.

Get the DT770's. You'll do fine.

Otherwise, get the Ultrasone HFI 580's.

Very best,

Aug 9, 2011 at 4:39 AM Post #13 of 21
Hey,

I allready considered the Ultrasone HFI 580, but I just didn't like it, don't know why, I guess it's just something personal. 
Ok, thanks. The S9 is a bit more powerful than the Fuze, right? than the 32 ohm shouldn't be a problem. 
Thanks a lot for your advice, it really helped me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back