Best headphones for Classic Rock / Progressive Trance (Dance)
Jan 24, 2011 at 11:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

getintechtom

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

Posting this will probably make me seem a bit idiotic but has to be asked nonetheless.

I just recently started transitioning from my larger room setups down to the Headamp / Headphone level and currently have the following:

Amp's:

Red Wine Isabellina HPA LFP-V
SPL Auditor
Little Dot III
And soon will have the Mapletree EAR+ Purist HD2

Headphone's:

AKG 701's
Sennheiser HD555's
Ultrasone PRO 750's

While the amp's are up to the challenge of providing me with the sounds I'm looking for my headphone are not. Most of my music is bass heavy with a bunch of female vocals.

This is where I'm stuck. I've heard great things about Grado's (having transparency and smooth mids but no sound stage) and Denon's (being better in bass and soundstage, but muddy). I know it's not possible to find the perfect pair of headphones but if I can come close that's all I care about.

Any help on deciding which pair of headphones (based on experience) to purchase would be greatly appreciated. Looking to spend about $1000 or less.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Thomas

Jan 24, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #2 of 10
  For an inexpensive headphone the Koss Pro DJ100's sounds amazing for classic rock for like $80 .  Was listening to Free , Alright Now and I couldn't believe how that song sounded .  Amazing phones for the price.  Was listening to James Taylor last night and that also sounded great .   Amazing whats in the music when you have something that can reproduce those sounds..

Jan 24, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #3 of 10
Thanks for the reply.

I would really like to try a pair of Grado's or one of the other Japanese brands (not Denon). They need to have substantial bass while not distorting the sound. I usually listen at pretty high levels.

All opinions are appreciated.

Regards
Thomas

Jan 25, 2011 at 3:33 AM Post #4 of 10
Personally Grado, or Audio Technica M50.

Ultrasone is good for electronic but treble is WAY too forward for rock: the cymbals will be smashing you in the face.

Sennheiser are a bit laid back and neutral in my uneducated opinion.

Jan 25, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #5 of 10
Maybe the DT990 600-Ohm are up your alley, they work well with the LD MKIII. "U" shaped frequency response with nice bass and super crisp highs, I really liked them for rock and they were extremely good for electronic music, I would say they were even more fun than my T1 for that.

Jan 25, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #7 of 10
Thanks again guys. All the responses are greatly appreciated.

I think I might go with the 990's. I read in a few places that they produce a nice bass line without going over the top.

Regards
Thomas

Jan 26, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #8 of 10
Keeping your music requirements and budget in mind, the following are offered for consideration:

Audeze LCD-2 with bass and vocals covered in spades.  This is based on a 30 minute quiet listen at a friends home.  I'm quite impressed and considering buying a pair.
        Audio Technica AD-2000.  Prefer these over Grado.  Excel at mids (read vocals) and delivers enough bass to keep it real.  Currently own and I intend to keep them.
        Grado HF-2.  I prefer it over the RS-1, also a good choice.  Crunchy guitar rifts, sufficient bass and will deliver believable vocals.  No longer own either one but enjoyed them for what they are.

YMMV.

Jan 26, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #9 of 10
Thanks Aimless. I'm going to look into the Audeze as well. I just purchased the DT990 250ohms. I felt more comfortable going middle of the road with these (32ohm 250ohm 600ohm). I heard a bunch of good things.

Regards
Thomas

Feb 2, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #10 of 10
Thats a pretty serious collection of amps yo got there.
Just the Red Wine Isabellina  is 2.5k alone.
I'f you found the LCD-2 to be comfy enough i really would think they would be great with your amp for rock.
Maybe try the T1 as well now when you have the 990.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back