Best Headphones For Chamber Music/Sting Quartets
Aug 15, 2011 at 7:31 AM Post #16 of 38
From what I've been reading of your preferences, I'm surprised no-one has yet mentioned the HD800. It has reportedly the widest soundstage, amazing imaging and is considered one of, if not, the best for classical/orchestral pieces. That and the T1 would get my vote.

Aug 15, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #17 of 38

Quote:
Hello,

Audio Technica have some of my favorite cans. Unfortunately the model you recommend is only available thru direct Japanese Import, that would just take to long. I have the AD700, and the M50, in Long Island, How do they compare?

These are actually very cheaply priced cans...was surprised about that. I night just put in a separate other for them (since they take 6 to 11 days to arrive). Should I go for the X, or for the AD2000?

Quote:
Thanks for that very interesting link. I am now very keen on getting these cans, and the 5000. I found a very good, reliable, and cheap, Japanese Importer (Aoyama & Co.), and am preparing a separate order, with more Japanese hardware I'm interested in, specially from Stax. They take 3 to 7 working days for delivery into Europe, and only ~10$ as delivery fee.

I have only heard the A2000X, I lost interest in the AD2000, W5000 and W1000X after hearing this one, for me the A2000X is a violin reference headphone.

The other models are also very popular, however this one is a secret gem.

I used to have the Stax SR-404 Signature along with the SRM-300 amp, which I found neutral and transparent however uninvolving, for me the A2000X is neutral, involving and intimate which is why I love it.

I wish you quality listening time during your recovery!

Aug 15, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #18 of 38
Superlux 668Bs. A cheap look and sound-alike for classic AKG240 studio monitors and in itself one of the highest rated headphones in head-fi reviews. Easily available in Europe - eg from ebay, Amazon, www.thomann.de for around 40-50 Euros. Upgrade it with AKG240 velour pads from thomann for comfort.

Aug 15, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #19 of 38
To the OP:  You might want to quote the person you're replying to so we all know who you're answering.

Grado's are much more comfortable with G-Cush which can be added to all their on-ear models.  The GS and PS come that way.

Aug 15, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #21 of 38
Hello,

That's probably because in my first post I stated that I am "allergic" to Sennheiser. Of course, I never listened to all their products, but, the ones I own...I can't quite place it, there is something in Senn's sound pallet that I just don't like. Not to say that I hate them, but I much prefer Beyer, Audio Technica, and AKG...

Aug 15, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #22 of 38
Thank you so much for your advice. I am very keen on the Woo Audio Electrostatic Headphone System, but it takes too long to build, and deliver (6 to 8 weeks). Since they have a shop in NYC, I will be visiting them when I get back Home.

Thanks for your support, and Be sure that I will enjoy my A2000X during my recovery, and think of the many doors you have opened for me. A whole new universe to explore :wink:

Aug 15, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #23 of 38
@bbophead

Sorry, thought the reply system would automatically include the poster I was replying to. Thanks for the warning!

No Grado's for me, except maybe the high-end stuff. As for my experience with them:
- Artificial sounding, not bat for Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, or Grunge, but not that good either.
- Very poor craftsmanship...sandpaper on my ears during summer? No thanks. Buying a finished product that I have to rebuild? Isn't that a bit...what's the word...ridiculous?

Having said that, the high-end stuff might be better. It is relatively cheap, and widely available.

Aug 15, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #24 of 38

Quote:
Hi there,

I'm very interested in the WooAudio WES Amp, and the Stax Sr-007. Just looking at some reviews, and a reliable importer.

I made a semi-review of the Stax 007 mk1 here with a much cheaper amplifier. Maybe it will be helpful for you. It's the end of the road headphone for me.

Aug 15, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #26 of 38
Another vote for AKG k701's.  Although I do generally like the sound of my friends HD650's better, I found my AKG's through a Little Dot MKII did a fantastic job for strings/pianos/opera/quartets.  If you can get a chance to listen before buying, definitely give 'em a chance. 

Aug 16, 2011 at 7:39 AM Post #28 of 38
As an "emergency", so that I receive some decent phones by Wednesday, I placed this order on amazon, yesterday:

- Beyerdynamic DT150 . A very old and trusted friend.
- Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250 OHM.
- Audio-Technica ATH-M50

I choose these mainly because of their immediate, and fast, availability. Now, I have the time, and peace-of-mind, to consider other options...

* Like I said in another post I have an Headstage Arrow Amp, so "Driving" most phones shouldn't be a problem. Also, my friend brought over the tower with the Asus Xonar STX soundcard, that can also easily drive most phones.

Aug 16, 2011 at 8:05 AM Post #29 of 38
@Wind016

Really liked your review, and am now very keen on obtaining more info on the Electostatic "path". Once I get back Home, in ~2 months, I will seriously be visiting Woo Audio, in NYC, for some hearing sessions.

As a curiosity, what system where you listening to while on your voluntary withdrawal from headphones?

Aug 16, 2011 at 8:23 AM Post #30 of 38

Quote:
If your source will be a MacBook, or iPod you'll need hps between 35-to-55 Ohms. I'll recommend you the GMP 435/8.35, or the  AKG-240MKll.

One of my favorites, the AKG's. Also a very old, and trusted friend. Unfortunately I totally forgot about AKG...

With the Arrow AMP, and the Xonar STX sound-card I shouldn't have problems with high impedance phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back