Best Headphones For Chamber Music/Sting Quartets
Aug 16, 2011 at 8:29 AM Post #31 of 38

Quote:
Another vote for AKG k701's.  Although I do generally like the sound of my friends HD650's better, I found my AKG's through a Little Dot MKII did a fantastic job for strings/pianos/opera/quartets.  If you can get a chance to listen before buying, definitely give 'em a chance. 

Yes, I love those phones, and almost all AKG's...I think I own most of their range, except for the K702's. I just forgot AKG, and was in a hurry to place an order :frowning2:

Aug 16, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #32 of 38

Quote:

The A2000X I recommended is 42 Ohm.

Thank you so much for all your excellent input. I am very interested in giving those phones a go. Now, that I placed an order, at Amazon, I will have the time to import them from Japan (have to add two more days, that I was unaware of, for customs).

* You describe them as "a violin reference phone", how do you rate them reproducing the cello?
* Any other good Japanese imports you can think of?

Again, thanks so much for your invaluable input.

PS » Driving phones is no longer an issue... 

Aug 16, 2011 at 9:02 AM Post #33 of 38

Quote:
Superlux 668Bs. A cheap look and sound-alike for classic AKG240 studio monitors and in itself one of the highest rated headphones in head-fi reviews. Easily available in Europe - eg from ebay, Amazon, www.thomann.de for around 40-50 Euros. Upgrade it with AKG240 velour pads from thomann for comfort.

Thanks for your reply, and for making me aware of a brand I did not know. I can also see that they are widely available, and, like you said, very cheap.

Aug 16, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #34 of 38

You're welcome.

Cello isn't quite my forté, in the time I've spent with the A2000X I've been swept away by violin, vocals and my electronic music, I think I should leave that answer to a more avid Cello listener with more equipment than I, for example a Denon D7000 or AKG K701, such a person would have better advice/insight.

My only aesthetic complaint with the A2000X is the Clarino earpads, I recently ordered L3000 earpad replacements for them which haven't arrived yet, however the L3000 earpads are made out of Italian lamb skin so that should feel much nicer, if you're interested you can order them here http://www.audiocubes2.com/brand/Audio-Technica/product/Audio-Technica_Replacement_Pads_for_ATH-L3000.html which will make them look something like this: (this picture is using W5000 earpads)

For other Japanese imports, well I have my eye on the newly released Fostex HP-A3 headphone amplifier, it's made in Japan and I trust Fostex as a brand, it's also receiving very high praise in Japan, so I'm going to order one myself soon, hopefully it has good synergy with the A2000X, one user said is has a very natural tone so I'm looking forward to that myself, it's available on www.amazon.co.jp and I'll be using www.tenso.com as the forwarding service since amazon.co.jp won't ship directly outside of Japan.

There is also the slightly more advanced unit, HP-A7.

One source and good synergy I can recommend for the A2000X however, is the Teclast T51 DAP, listening to classical Flac files on max volume directly out of the headphone-out jack is truly a blissful, reference-quality experience, I hope the Fostex HP-A3 can eclipse it, but that is pure speculation and experimentation on my part, I bought my T51 here http://www.houseofdap.com/teclast-t51-hi-fi-quality-3-5-inch-mp4-player-8gb.html

One of the very first pieces I heard on the A2000X was Julia Fischer playing Vivaldi - L'inverno part III, using T51 as the source, and I was hysteric.

Well, in my quest for reference-quality eurphoric sound, I think this is all the advice I have to share, and I love sharing it, thanks for reading.

Aug 16, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #35 of 38
What is a Sting quartet? I'm pretty sure The Police were a trio.

Aug 17, 2011 at 4:49 AM Post #36 of 38
@ kiteki

Great post, a lot of useful recommendations, and a very useful forwarding service (10000JPY = ~90Euros).
I am very interested in those comfy ear pads. Don't know much about Fostex, but will definitely be reading some reviews. As for the Teclast, I was considering it, the Colorfly C4, or the Hifiman HM-801.

I am now on a "project", since my cousin is being so kind, and helpful. She doesn't have much of anything, aside from a Klipsh (sp) dock for her ipod. Since I will be imposing on her hospitality, and nursing skills, for at least another month, I am thinking of refurbishing the apartment with some decent sound, and also a couple of Plasma, or LCD TV's. Even though it is my apartment, I had no idea she was living on such a tight budget, in spite of having to pay no rent. She still has those bulky TV's from last century, and no hi-fi system to speak of...guess I'll have to make her a surprise...Santa on an early visit...:wink:

Thanks, for your excellent advice, and for the beautiful equipment you show above.

Aug 23, 2011 at 8:20 AM Post #38 of 38
May I share this piece, with whoever is wielding an A2000X.

It simply makes me turn me my computer screen off, and disappear somewhere else...

~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back