Best Headphones for ALL genres.....
Dec 3, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #31 of 46
I'll go ahead and add V-Moda M-80 to the list for a great portable all-rounder. 
cool.gif

Can anyone vouch for the HE-500/300s as being genre-versatile headphones?

Dec 3, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #32 of 46
to do everything right you need a headphone with no accentuation in any part of the frequency range. try to find something for you. most people just suggest something cause it's high-priced or highly hyped and you don't need to spend much to find accurate gear.

Dec 3, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #33 of 46
Vintage AKGs (K240 Sextetts, Monitors K141 and offsprings) do everything quite good.

HD600 is my personal pick. 

Dec 3, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #34 of 46

Quote:

I've never heard anything good come out of an ipod.

i'm sorry for bringing this comment from half a year ago up. but i disagree. Jude uses ipod's for portable setups and they do well. The pre 2007 one;s all use a Wolfson DAC. current gerneation ipods and ios devices use Cirrus Logic DAC. my ipod touch 2G has an Cirrus Logic CS4398 that is used in the MSRB $100 Asus Xonar DX. Asus has been known for lower prices than comp. so this is like $120(MSRB) for other dedicated cards. pair the idevice with a LOD and a good amp...and voila. 

Dec 3, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #35 of 46
same here. i use mostly my modded fostex and 240DF's out my ipod. lacks volume but sound great to me. the whole ipod having bad sound is very exaggerated.

Dec 3, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #36 of 46
thank you :) I do hear some distortion and really weird "artifacts" in my music sometimes when listening straight from the headphone out. But it's not horrible. and like i always say. add in a cheap $40 set of FiiO L9 and E6(or E11 for $70) and you got yourself the best price to performance pod on Earth. The ipod can just push my 44Ohm SRH440's. My FiiO E5 brokeded(my fault). I found an ingenious way though  to listen to music :)

They are Logitech Z623's. They usually amplify the speakers and sub @ 200W and 400W max. But of course. it amplifies at a lot less through the headphone out port. It seems to amplify there @ 300mW @ 16 Ohms since it seems about double what my E5 could do. So far, i'm not hearing any bad "artifacts" pops, inconsistency's and everything (to an extent)

Dec 3, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #37 of 46
Entry-fi = SRH840
Mid-fi = HD600 or DT880

Mar 15, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #40 of 46
I wish I found this thread before I dropped my money on my DT 990 pro, they are excellent for most genres but too tiring when listening to blues and jazz, but for those I just got a pair of Micro seiki mx5, these are excellent neutral electrets, I think were made by Stax.

Mar 15, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #41 of 46
Every set of headphones I've listened to have taken a little adjustment before I really groove with them, whether it be 30 minutes or 30 hours. That is, until now. I just got my HE-6s and from the moment I put them on my head I was completely engaged, they're simply epic. I've listened to every genre of music I have and they haven't stumbled yet. True, they tend to sound their absolute best with strings, female vocals, and most acoustic material, but I've not found anything they aren't great with, from Yo-Yo Ma to Killswitch Engage. Now, I did a little EQing, toning them down 3dB at 7 and 9kHz, but that's because I'm a touch more treble sensitive than most.

Now I'm just wondering, "why did I wait to buy these?"

Mar 15, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #43 of 46
How do they compare with your Rastapants?

My Rastas are a lot more like LCD-2s, they're warmer and more laid back, even congested in comparison. They aren't bad at all, I enjoy them, but they aren't really in the same league.

Mar 15, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #44 of 46

Quote:
My Rastas are a lot more like LCD-2s, they're warmer and more laid back, even congested in comparison. They aren't bad at all, I enjoy them, but they aren't really in the same league.

How do the D7Ks compare with both of them? Sorry for all the questions, but I've been seriously considering getting a D7000 in the future and I've always toyed with the idea of the some modded T50RPs. Thanks in advance :)

Mar 15, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #45 of 46
How do the D7Ks compare with both of them? Sorry for all the questions, but I've been seriously considering getting a D7000 in the future and I've always toyed with the idea of the some modded T50RPs. Thanks in advance :)

Well, I'll use a metaphor, which usually fails but can be fun. :)

HD800s = Claudia Lynx - She's undeniably gorgeous, proportionally and symmetrically perfect, but is about as much fun as a turnip.
HE-6s = Jessica Alba - Still incredibly beautiful but also has personality, having a long talk with her wouldn't make you want to stab yourself.
D7000s = Pink - Beautifully flawed, unbalanced, but more fun than is usually allowed by law.
Rastas = Christina Ricci - Attractive, dark, and complicated. In the back of your mind you're wondering if she'll stab you.

Some exaggeration there, but I think you get the idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back