Best headphone amplifiers to go with headphones?
Sep 2, 2010 at 11:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

100+ Head-Fier

Hi

Fellow-HeadFiers 

For many years I have listened to music through my Sony headphones but after listening to a pair of Beyer headphones I found that while my Sony headphones were very good the Beyer's were better still, as naturally technology has moved on since those days then after listening to them on a friends dedicated headphone amp I decided I needed a proper amp as the headphone out on my Onkyo AV Receiver  wouldn't drive them loud enough...

I am looking for a solid state amp, I don't mind if some recommends a used amp but only if the product quality must be Mint or Close.

What i am looking for:

Quote:
For example, during Joan Osborne’s aching cover of “I’ll Be Around”, I noticed at one point while typing the sentence above that I wasn’t typing anymore. I got lost in her voice. I mean totally lost. This doesn’t happen to me nearly as often as I wish it did. But the Phoenix was able to deliver goose-bump thrills on a more than just occasional basis.

Please suggest in what your best amps are for these headphones: 

Beyerdynamic DT880 PRO 250 Ohms

Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO 250 Ohms

Audio Technica ATH-AD700 32 Ohms

AKG K701 62 ohms

Sennheiser HD600 300 Ohms

My list so far is as follows:

Monitor II Headphone Amplifier

Maverick Audio - Tube Magic A1 Hybrid Intergrated Amplifier 

Matrix m-stage Headphone Amp

Audio-Gd Fun version B 

FireStone Audio Cute 

Graham Slee Novo

CREEK OBH21 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER

Little Dot MK  III

Music genera's:

RnB

Hip Hop

Jazz

Drum and Bass

My Budget £200-£250 

Also, if you know of more amps not on my list I should look into, and links or reviews, feel free to post them, but make sure there available to purchase in the united kingdom.

Just a few thoughts...

Thank you

Sep 2, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #3 of 39
^ What he said.

Sep 2, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #6 of 39
SPL Auditor, true high-end, a steal for the SQ you get. Even more so if you find one used of course.
Read the posts about both the Auditor and Phonitor as they are basically the same.
LD3 is a fine amp for it's price as well but doesn't even remotely compare with an Auditor.

Sep 2, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #7 of 39

Some help or more opions please?

Quote:
SPL Auditor, true high-end, a steal for the SQ you get. Even more so if you find one used of course.
Read the posts about both the Auditor and Phonitor as they are basically the same.
LD3 is a fine amp for it's price as well but doesn't even remotely compare with an Auditor.

Hmm...

At £500 its way out of my price league...

Some help please?

Sep 2, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #8 of 39
Your best bet(s) are probably the Little Dot, M-Stage, or the FUN.

Read up on their sound signatures to see what you think you will most enjoy.

Sep 2, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #9 of 39
Buy this

Great and versatile amplifier, I've heard it sound very good with the K701, which is the toughest-to-drive headphone in that group - others can probably chime in re: the others.

Sep 2, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #11 of 39

Which one is better M^3 or Dynalo?

Some more opions please?

Thanks

Quote:
^ what he said. :)

the M^3 and Dynalo are some of the best options around.

Quote:
Buy this

Great and versatile amplifier, I've heard it sound very good with the K701, which is the toughest-to-drive headphone in that group - others can probably chime in re: the others.

Sep 2, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #12 of 39
It's hard to fault either the M^3 or Dynalo. Both are excellent amplifiers. The listed M^3 is a good deal, especially considering the work that went into it. You won't get a commercial amp of that quality for that price. I'd recommend buying it, as well.

Sep 2, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #14 of 39
I happen to be in the middle of building an M³ for myself. Will let you know how it sounds with my DT880/250Ω when it's done. It might take a while to finish though. But really, there's no doubt that it will sound terrific with any of those headphones. The question is how will it sound compared with the other amps. That's harder to answer because it requires someone who has heard both (i.e. not me).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back