Best headphone amp for AKG K601
Aug 30, 2011 at 1:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

WILDSTYLE1000

New Head-Fier
I'm right now thinking about buying some new headphones and a dedicated headphone amp.

I'm going to buy the K601 (as seen in the title) but with an impedance of crazy 120 ohms i would definitely get an amp to make sure i'm getting the best out of these pair of headphones. I've already been looking at Audiotrak Prodigy Cube and ASUS Essence STX soundcard with integrated amp. - Or is ther any better solution?

Aug 30, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #2 of 10
Hi Op,

How much are you willing to spend? do they need to be soundcards with a headphone amp? 

Aug 30, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #4 of 10
I don't know of any headphone amps that are cheap that drive it well other than the E9.
With the E9 it's good, but probably not at it's best. Despite this it seems to drive the K601 better than the K702.

I personally haven't tried it, but I heard the Matrix M-Stage is a good match for the K702/K601. Should be some reviews around somewhere.

The worst amp I tried for the K601 was the Asgard. It's a nice amp, but not for the K601 unless it's been updated.

Right now I use a Headroom Micro Amp (full size) with my K501 and K601 and love it.

The K601 I've found quite hard to drive, so it really needs a good amp.
Whatever you do, don't use a portable amp!

Aug 31, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #6 of 10
Rob a bank first thing tomorrow morning..

and enjoy your K601 over breakfast with a
Cayin HA-1A

smile.gif

This amp shall be mine within a matter
of weeks (hopefully)

Musical Fidelity M1HPA solid state combo with DAC
is worth a look second hand.

These phones need a beefy high quality amp,
no cheap way around it I'm afraid.

Aug 31, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #7 of 10
Ι have the prodigy cube and I don't think it will drive the 601 properly!
I think the cheapest solution is E9! It may not be the most refined sounding amp but it has the power that the K601/701 need and if you don't have it -the power- you can misjudge the whole K series! I quite like it with my K701s
The next step is the Matrix I guess. Everything I read (not heard though) about it and the Ks is fine! If your budget permits...
Also I agree that Aguard doesn't seem to be the best option... Schiit suggests Valhala for the AKGs

Aug 31, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #8 of 10
#6,7,8: Thanks for reply! I appreciate that. But right now it seems like it's only the unaffordable amps like Cayin HA-1A, Musical Fidelity M1HPA etc. that are able to power the K601 except for the FiiO E9.

But what if i go for the K701 with an impedance of 62 ohms? Is their any headamps within the $230 pricerange that can drive them?

Aug 31, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #9 of 10
I think that you should wait some time to save the money and to for the Matrix M-Stage! Its only 40$ above your budget... be it for 601 or 701!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matrix-m-stage-Headphone-Amplifier-/260535704524

Aug 31, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
I think that you should wait some time to save the money and to for the Matrix M-Stage! Its only 40$ above your budget... be it for 601 or 701!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matrix-m-stage-Headphone-Amplifier-/260535704524

Great wisdom all round here DomieMic65,

If there is one thing that Head-Fi has taught me in my short time here is that when listening to the tales
of more experienced hobbyists - if you're determined to make this a hobby outlet that you will enjoy
time and time again for a very long time then :-

'Buy the absolute best gear that you can afford'

'Upgrade-itis' is often a side effect, a niggle that first time around you left another option unrealised.
You cut corners only to become embroiled in selling second hand only to end up buying what you wanted
in the first place. Money is lost in the process but on the plus side - someone else is only too happy to
pick up your 'seconds' on the cheap! It's what fuels the 'slightly used' market on here.

Let's not get carried away though some of us will never be able to afford within reason HD 800 / T1 rigs running
off a Cary Xciter DAC with the latest Woo Audio amp to power it. But there is a middle ground. I believe that
in the long run - it pays for itself if you use it and just enjoy the music without thinking in the back of your
mind - could this sound a lot better if I just sourced 'X'....?

Easier said than done
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back