best head phones with a good amount of treble.
Sep 15, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #16 of 24
This is a bit of a hard choice, the way Sari0n puts it the hf5s would be better for me but I like the idea of the replaceable cable for the tf10 because every one of my earbuds break at the cable :xf_mad:. Ill see if there are any amazing deals on the hf5 and if not I may go TF10.

Sep 15, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #17 of 24
Another factor to consider is that TF10's treble is a bit edgy and sharp and can be fatiguing after a while. 

Sep 16, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #19 of 24
It was actually a non issue for me for the most part because I am kind of like my treble to be sharp, it was only fatiguing after like 4 hours or so on flights. you considered the RE0s? while i have never heard them personally, they are well known for its extended, and extremely detailed highs

Sep 16, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #21 of 24
Do you need them to be portable?  It's nice to have a good set of phones that stay at home where you can really enjoy good music.   I've never cared too much about what hp's I had out and about.  That way you could get the sr60's which sound like they'd work for you.  Though I'd recco trying to find a used set of 80i's (at least)

Sep 18, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #22 of 24
preferable portable, I was considering a 125i i think it was... from grado but still not sure. still considering the TF10 and the hf5 but I'm actually considering grados more than the earbuds. I run my audio through an S:Flo2 no amp or anything with FLAC so I'm sure my player is sufficient. anyone got opinions on grado vs hf5 vs tf10?

Sep 19, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #23 of 24
Grados tend to be mid focused, HF5's are focused on highs, but pretty much everything above the mids are pronounced, and the TF10's have a V-shaped sound signature so the highs and bass are pronounced.
The Grados aren't going to get you any isolation.  If you're looking for portability, they also aren't going to be nearly as portable as the HF5's or the TF10's.  If I recall correctly, they have a 6ft long cable and also terminate in a 1/4inch plug, so you're going to need an adapter to use it with a normal mp3 player.
You might want to go demo Grados in a store before you get them.  Some people find them uncomfortable, and the sound signature is a bit extreme, as in a lot of people can't stand it although just as many love it.  Etymotic Research headphones also tend to have a somewhat extra unique sound too.  TF10's are the most mainstream in my opinion, and they also respond very well to EQ. 
By the way, if you're seriously considering the HF5's and can't find them for cheap, I would recommend looking into the Brainwavz B2's, which have promo's all the time and can usually be found for ~120.  They have the same type of sound signature, but are overall sound is a lot superior in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back