Best Grados if You Need to Toss Them Into a Backpack?
Aug 30, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #16 of 19

Quote:
I need some headphones that sound good but that I can toss into my backpack. I was thinking MS1's but apparently they are too fragile. Are SR60i or SR80i tough enough to be tossed into my backpack with some care? If not, what else do you recommend? And how fragile are the MS1's compared to the Grados?

My budget is $100. I listen through AKG ATH-M50's at work. They are tough and sound great, but they aren't great for walking around for a few reasons -  the cable is too long, they look dorkly, and I don't like so much isolation when I out and about. 

MS1 fragile? Man i am laughing hard right now they are solid for me. I throw them in my bag (with a Shure case but still) and have no issues. They are made so simple I just can't see them breaking any time soon.

I also am one of those oddballs who uses them port ably.

Aug 30, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #17 of 19

Quote:
MS1 fragile? Man i am laughing hard right now they are solid for me. I throw them in my bag (with a Shure case but still) and have no issues. They are made so simple I just can't see them breaking any time soon.

I also am one of those oddballs who uses them port ably.

Key words, with a case. That protects them from a certain amount of crushing force, as well as preventing them from twisting, and keeping grit out of the drivers.

Aug 30, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #18 of 19
Yeah, I definitely would not recommend the Grados for any sort of portability.

Are IEs out of the question?  I like the Atrio M5/M8s and they're not too pricey when on sale.

What is your budget?

Aug 31, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #19 of 19
Sony V6, that can be trow in a backpack and kick it back home if you wish, also closed are better for portables.

but if you are still thinking of a grado, IME the Alessandro MS1 beats up the SR80 and SR60 in sound. and the non i version is easier to carry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back