Best Grados if You Need to Toss Them Into a Backpack?
Aug 26, 2011 at 4:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

suckerformimi

New Head-Fier
I need some headphones that sound good but that I can toss into my backpack. I was thinking MS1's but apparently they are too fragile. Are SR60i or SR80i tough enough to be tossed into my backpack with some care? If not, what else do you recommend? And how fragile are the MS1's compared to the Grados?

My budget is $100. I listen through AKG ATH-M50's at work. They are tough and sound great, but they aren't great for walking around for a few reasons -  the cable is too long, they look dorkly, and I don't like so much isolation when I out and about. 

Aug 26, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #2 of 19

Quote:
I need some headphones that sound good but that I can toss into my backpack. I was thinking MS1's but apparently they are too fragile. Are SR60i or SR80i tough enough to be tossed into my backpack with some care? If not, what else do you recommend? And how fragile are the MS1's compared to the Grados?

My budget is $100. I listen through AKG ATH-M50's at work. They are tough and sound great, but they aren't great for walking around for a few reasons -  the cable is too long, they look dorkly, and I don't like so much isolation when I out and about. 

Heya,

Have you used open headphones while walking out and about?

Very best,

Aug 26, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #3 of 19
I've tried the 60i/80i/125i and while their construction aren't too bad, I can't imagine them lasting too long by being tossed in a bag on the go. I would choose a pair that can fold up and can take a few bends.

Aug 26, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #6 of 19
All Grados are very similar when it comes to build (excluding iGrado and IEMs), and I personally would not recommend throwing them into a backpack. Plus, crap might get into the housing if you have little bits of sand and leaves and things at the bottom of your bag, and that would not be good for your nice new headphones.

Anyhow, in regards to using them outside, I have seen people walking about wearing Grados on campus, so it's not entirely uncommon. They're open headphones, as has been stated, so they will allow a good amount of outside sound in, and also leak a certain amount of sound. The outgoing leakage isn't all that significant if you're outside or something, but if you're in a library or other quiet common area, your music can be heard by others. The lack of isolation makes them virtually unusable in louder places (buses, loud rooms, etc.).

Regardless, if you think that the MS1 is too fragile, any standard Grado is equivalently too fragile because they feature virtually identical construction.

Aug 26, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #7 of 19
I'm going to echo what's been said above.

While it's cool to see other people wearing Grados in public, I can't imagine getting the best sound.  In order to hear your music properly, you will have to pump the volume up to a level that is unhealthy.

Also, Grados are really not designed to be tossed around or stuck in a bag.  I'd give them a lifespan of about 2-3 months that way.

So, yeah, something that folds down or comes with a case would probably be a better choice, and I'd pretty strongly recommend something with some isolation.

Aug 26, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #8 of 19
Building on what was said above, I would recommend the Sony V6's durability and sound isolation for public walking use. The cord is longer because it is really meant for studio use but you can easily shorten it.

I know it works well for your application because I took mine on vacation in Key West just last week. We did LOTS of walking/biking and I pretty much took them with me everywhere in my small backpack.

Aug 27, 2011 at 8:25 AM Post #10 of 19

Quote:
I have not tried open-ear headphones while out walking.

Get a cheap open-air headphone off Amazon that you can return, test what it's like to walk around noise with an open headphone at your listening volume. See if you like hearing everything mixed in with your music. If you like it, get a Grado that you like. If you can't hear your music, then get a closed headphone, and that means, no Grados at all.

Very best,

Aug 27, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #11 of 19
Perhaps it's not a good recommendation for others to do so, but nonetheless my SR80i's spend at least 10 hours a week on
my head walking the streets. They find themselves in my 'man bag' when not in use, not crushed by anything other
than a sweater or a notepad.

Damage report? None, other than the traditional Grado lettering paint slowly scuffing away. Cord is always half rolled to avoid kinks
and snags.

Aug 30, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #14 of 19

Quote:
Want a portable, indestructible headphone that looks decent on? Koss PortaPro. They're cheap to boot and have a lifetime warranty.

Why bother with the lifetime warranty if they're indestructible?
biggrin.gif

Aug 30, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #15 of 19

Users who are viewing this thread

Back