Best Gaming Headphones.... With Poll? BUDGET: £100-£250
Oct 4, 2010 at 8:38 AM Post #181 of 319

Quote:

That's a deal breaker for me. Is the K702 just as hard to drive as the 701?

Nearly 99.99999% the same headphone. The difference is the color and the detachable cable. So yeah, the K70x is not for those who plan on using voice chat, unless you add another amp to the chain. I can't stress how weak they sound as soon as you move the voice/game knob away from 100% game.

As for soundstage, I've gotten used to the soundstage of various headphones, from small soundstages to huge ones like the AD700 and K701. I don't understand the term artificial and it's use with the K701, but I ONLY use them while gaming with the Mixamp and DH enabled. The huge soundstage sounds just fine, and positional cues are as easy as they can get to discern.

To be honest, I find soundstage to be merely an extra boost in immersion and not important to gaming compared to clarity and positional/directional cues. As long as I can tell in what direction a sound is coming from. I'm fine with a headphone. Those with huge soundstages just helps it feel more natural, not necessarily better. My Creative Aurvana Live has obviously a smaller soundstage, but positional cues are nearly as good. That's mostly what matters.

That being said, you don't want a microscopic soundstage when gaming either, because if it's too small, you won't be able to place in which direction the sounds are coming from exactly. You need a LITTLE bit of soundstage distance. Obviously, the bigger it is, the easier it is to tell where sounds come from. A medium sized soundstage like the CAL or DT770's have is more than enough, and these are closed headphones...

My problem with the DT880 was that the sound with the Mixamp (DH enabled) sounded more like it was shaped like a dome, and you're at the center of the base. Almost no rear depth to them, making them nearly impossible to tell front from rear sounds, to my ears. Good headphones for gaming absolutely need to be more circular (you in the middle) of the soundfield. You need some rear depth. =/ Hard to explain with my stupid description. XD

Oct 4, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #183 of 319
Please allow me to make a brief question about ATH-A700 closed-back dynamic vs ATH-A700 open air dynamic i like the idea of isolation from ambient noise but does it would afect positioning or sound quality?

I dont know wich of these cans are good (i am totally newby) but I am also trying to find good FPS headphones  plus sound isolation

Thx and  sry 4 this little hijack

Oct 4, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #184 of 319
From what I heard, the A700 doesn't come close to being as good as the AD700 for gaming, and I have heard people saying they're more like a closed variant of the AD500, whilst the A900 is more like a closed AD700.

People really need to stop saying that the A700 = closed AD700. They're two separate lines.

After many headphones, I settled on the Creative Aurvana Live as my closed headphone for gaming (mainly FPS). They don't leak much, though if you want ISOLATION (not letting sound in), they aren't the best at this. The one closed headphone people mainly go for gaming is the DT770. I personally had the DT770 Pro 80 and they were stellar FPS performers (as well as isolating extremely well), but they were a bit too muddy and boomy for my taste (even though they are still the very best in positioning I have heard by far, even more than the AD700). I would guess the Premium DT770s would be better for a more balanced sound + isolation. They would be my next step for closed gaming cans, if I ever wanna upgrade from the CALs, though I don't have a need to. The CAL has been an absolute blessing for me. Much better than the M50 for gaming.

Oct 5, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #186 of 319
I'd say upgrade to the AD900.  Same great soundstage, better details, a little more bass.  As the AD700 is already one of the best gaming headphones, the AD900 would be perfect for you.  They do everything the AD700 does just a little better.  They are open, comfortable, and don't need an amp to sound great.

If you are still looking for something different, maybe go with the DT880 32 ohm.  The Dt880's are another great headphone for gaming, and with the 32ohm version, you don't necessarily require an amp.

Oct 5, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #188 of 319
The AD700 is the KING of gaming just because of the price. It does everything right, the only thing wrong with the 700's has nothing to do with its sound, but its comfort. They fit very loose, so it causes some people problems with them falling off. The current price of the F1 might be out of your price range, so, IMO, there isn't another headphone that can compete with the 700 dollar for dollar. There are better cans, but the improvement you get from them isn't worth the extra $$$.

Oct 6, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #190 of 319

Quote:
So would you say the extra cash for the ad900 is worth it over the ad700?

I could buy the f1 used, which will be in my price range?

What do you think about the f1 vs ad700 vs ad900?

I have to pick one but dont know which one to pick?

If you can find the F1 used....it's a no brainer...F1.  The AD900 doesn't have the positioning of the AD700, a couple people on here have said. Some people say the 700's soundstage is bigger than the 900's, or a more accurate one...can't remember. From what people have said...the price jump to the 900 isn't worth it, unless bass is very important to you. If you're a pro gamer looking for every advantage possible, bass can actually hinder you.

I am a huge F1 fan.......but the AD700 are so good at their price. I would not pay $300 for a new F1 though when the 700 can be had for <$100. If you can find the F1's used for $160 or less, get them....if not...AD700.

Read this: http://base.teamxbox.com/blog-post/43202/5814/02-26-2009/p1/

Oct 7, 2010 at 8:59 AM Post #193 of 319
Well, I do have the respecify the for gaming part. But when it comes to the AD700 I just like the neutrality and openness (sound-stage?) better for monitoring all the audio ques present in gaming. The precision of the 701 isn't necessary because I'm not trying to observe the quality of the in game sound, the 700s can tell me its crappy themselves.

Basically, I feel more in the game. If that makes any sense.

I also like the fit of the AD700s a lot, particularly if you use a hair tie (or rubber band) to hold the two pads together. Not that the 701s are uncomfortable...

Oct 7, 2010 at 11:00 AM Post #195 of 319
AD-700s is a no brainer vs the F1 Half the price with 90%+ the performance.  If you can grab some used AD-700s it's even more so.

The coloring is a little odd, but you can easily spray paint them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back