Best Gaming Headphones.... With Poll? BUDGET: £100-£250
Sep 30, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #151 of 319
If you mean how fun they are....you can definitely get better headphones. If you want to feel the explosions and gunfire, any closed can would be better. I bring out my bose phones for when I want to enjoy explosions. (but the bose suck, haha)

Sep 30, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #153 of 319
Not really sure on that...someone with a better understanding of sound and headphones would be able to answer that one
beerchug.gif

Sep 30, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #155 of 319

Quote:

When you say you have tryed evereything...

Which headphones have you tried?

Also thanks for the post on headsets..

Lol...

Do the Sony MDR-F1  lack in the detail and bass?

From everything I have bought and/or tried, keep in mind that I rely on the mixamp for virtual surround, so YMMV if you play in normal stereo: (notables)

AD700 (great but hated the loose fit and comfort)
A40 (meh, hollow sounding and build quality issues)
Tritton AX Pros (terrible, just terrible)
DT770 Pro 80 (best positional audio, but lackluster clarity and too bassy)
Premium DT880 32 ohm (my absolute fave gaming headphone if it weren't for the bad rear cues)
M50 (great sound, bad soundstage)
Creative Aurvana Live (best in price to performance ratio)
PX21 (great crispness and quite clear for a headset but HISSSSSS)
X11 (demo at BB, couldn't gauge their performance too well)
X41 (same, though sounded worse)
XB700 (awesome music cans, bad for gaming due to overwhelming bass)
ES7 (tiny soundstage)
K701 (best I have tried overall)
Siberia V1 (veiled sound)
KSC75 (these are actually REALLY good for gaming).
Senn HD201 (decent budget performers but Senn veil, and uncomfortable after lengthy sessions)
Philips SHP-2500 (budget performers with good soundstage. I quite liked them but terrible build quality, and they get HOOOOT)
I can't even begin to remember all the other stuff but it's been a lot.

My absolute fave sound wise is the DT880/32, but it lacked good rear audio cues. The Creative Aurvana Live is my fave based on price and overall value and performance. They are an absolute steal for under $100. Great clarity, and positional audio. The K701 is my fave based on soundstage and positional cues, but I prefer DT880's sound sig better as it's better balanced to me. Too bad about the audio cues.

Oct 1, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #157 of 319
For music, absolutely.  The K701 easily displays the differences  between a low and high quality source.  For gaming however, the quality of the console's audio is fine for positional audio in FPS.

Quote:
Thanks for your opions on the headphones...

Does anyone else think the Akg k70` requires a high quality source?

Oct 1, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #158 of 319
See sometimes I find the positional to be too garbled and not precise enough.  Perhaps, I got too used to the DT-990 after months of usage?

Consoles don't emulate 3D virtual sound.  Stereo it is fine, but with Virtual 3D I feel it is a different story.

Oct 2, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #160 of 319
maltar7, You also have to take into consideration, the K701's are kinda hard to drive. The majority of people I see that have the K701's say it's soundstage is too artificial, or almost too big that they get lost in it. But, take that with a grain of salt because I haven't used them.

I took KBI's advice with the F1's, he knows his headphones better than anyone here IMO. He rates the F1's ahead of the mighty DT880's for FPS....that should say something about the F1's FPS capability.  And I can confirm that the F1's overtake the DT880's.

Oct 2, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #161 of 319
Having never heard the MDR-F1, I can't comment on how it is for gaming.  As for the AKG K701, its positional audio is really great.  Having said that, it leaves a little to be desired for single player campaigns, as the low end doesn't quite allow explosions to be as powerful as they should be.  

For online however, the K701 shines.  It's known for its expansive soundstage, and this really allows you to hear exactly where an enemy's footsteps are coming from.  Once you get into this price range, a lot of headphones (open aired) have pretty solid positioning in terms of video games, so you probably can't go wrong with either.  The K701 have never let me down

Oct 2, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #163 of 319
Here is the issue that I perceive.  The MDR-F1s may be great for FPS, but to spend $300 just for a gaming can?  If it is true that the F1s have LESS bass than the AD700s, then they will give you very little punch from explosions and music.  That in itself, IMO, brings the value way down.  I believe I remember someone in this post saying the F1s were awful with music. 

The K701s NEED a good amp to drive them.  The Mixamp just won't be enough at all.

I currently can't recommend either of these, for your application.  If the AD-700 is that expensive in EU, why not buy them used?  Other then that, perhaps DT-880 32s or 990 32s can be recommended.  I am not 100% positive on the power needed to drive them, so consult with others.

Hmm perhaps the HD555 with the foam and sound stage mod can be a great alternative too

Oct 2, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #165 of 319
The F1's are bad with music.

DT880(32 ohm) for music and/or 3rd person games

K701/F1 for competitive online FPS.... you cant go wrong with either of these 2.

but you NEED better amplification for the K701

Users who are viewing this thread

Back