Best EQ setting on the ipod
Jun 29, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #31 of 86
No EQ.

Jun 29, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #32 of 86
^^ agreed none
biggrin.gif

Jun 29, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #33 of 86
Off or bass reducer for my disgusting sony iems.

I remember someone posted on here that equalizers don't sound as bad if you turn down certain frequency's rather than up. You can customize the Ipod's EQ by creating a preset on the library the ipod is synced with and saving it with the exact name of a default preset. It will ask you if you want to overwrite, click "yes".

Jun 29, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #35 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeNmAc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Off or bass reducer for my disgusting sony iems.

I remember someone posted on here that equalizers don't sound as bad if you turn down certain frequency's rather than up. You can customize the Ipod's EQ by creating a preset on the library the ipod is synced with and saving it with the exact name of a default preset. It will ask you if you want to overwrite, click "yes".

I tried that several months ago upon advice from Apple but it's totaly bogus.. The Itunes will assign a preset to each song but will not change the EQ in the Ipod to match the new Itunes settings. I tested it by making a really obnoxious eq and giving it the "Classical" name I wiped all the songs and reloaded them but the classical stayed the same. It did not change the EQ settings on the Ipod to the match the Itunes ettings.

Jun 29, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #36 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most Head-Fi'ers loath EQ'ing in any form. (Ipod and Itunes just happens to be one of the most poorly programmed ) I personally feel it's a good tool. and just like any tool you have to learn to use it. You can't say that "I love my EF-1 with my new Mullard tubes", or "these ALO cables really make my HD650's sing" and then fault other for using EQ to change the music the way they llike best.

Not personaly directed at you Grawk !!!!!

The digital EQ in portable players is not linear phase, and will therefore seriously damage the soundstage of the music. They are also usually very simple (i.e. bad) algorithms. I also vote for flat, unless there is a serious problem that needs fixing and EQ is the lesser of the evils.

Some people, of course, don't care about soundstage or other subtleties, and would rather hear louder thumping in their head or a brighter high end. I'm all cool with whatever you enjoy.

EDIT: Reading that back it sounds condescending. I really don't mean it that way. I truly am cool with people setting things however they want to enjoy their music. I'm just a junky for soundstage and musical subtlety, and digital EQ doesn't fit what I want.

Jun 29, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #39 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[/B]

I tried that several months ago upon advice from Apple but it's totaly bogus.. The Itunes will assign a preset to each song but will not change the EQ in the Ipod to match the new Itunes settings. I tested it by making a really obnoxious eq and giving it the "Classical" name I wiped all the songs and reloaded them but the classical stayed the same. It did not change the EQ settings on the Ipod to the match the Itunes ettings.

oh...sorry, yea I tried it, but was too lazy to check if it worked all the way. I just assumed it did. Just checked now and like you said, it didn't work.

I find the acoustic eq crackles too much.

Jun 29, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #43 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by JongTong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow! thanks for all the great replies very informative. what are some portable music players that work well with high end headphones

If you already have an iPod, you might be better off adding an amp than getting a new player.

There is a separate forum here for "Portable sources", that has lots of good posts on portable music players, and is a better place to ask that question.

Jul 21, 2010 at 8:47 AM Post #44 of 86

Quote:
With my current portable setup I prefer treble boost.

• iMod 4th gen iPod Photo
• sound files "normalized" at conservative level so as to support EQ (iVolume)
• RSA Tomahawk
• ATH-ESW9 or Shure E500 with custom Sensaphonics sleeves

Hmm, I was experimenting with ipod EQ today and also found my ESW9 likes treble boost also -really `cleaned` up the sound.(with an ibassoT3 amp with Gain switch enabled).

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, am curious what ipod EQ settings are others using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back